Help choosing phaser pedal?

mrperson

• Members

Right I'm gonna buy a cheapy Phaser pedal next week and I was just wondering what you guys think about the options i have come up with.

Theres the Behringer VP1 which has great reviews on here and the Danelectro Pepperoni phaser. Im leaning towards getting the behringer because of the metal casing and reviews but the size of the danelectro is ideal as there is next to no space left on my pedal board.

what do you guys think?

cheers

• Members

i have a ehx small stone and it's a great sounding pedal... but it does cause a volume drop when you engage it... this can be modded, but it shouldn't have to be imo

just a heads up

yh thats meant to be a fault with the behringer but tbh i run a high gain sound anyway so for that i'm not bothered.

and sorry with the economy and all that buying from america atm isn't great for me.

• Members

The MXR 90 is a very basic phase pedal. It has only one knob (intensity/speed). If a classic phase tone is all you need, this is it. A regular jam bud of mine bought his the first year they came out about 30 years. It looks like it's been thru two world wars, but he uses it every time he jams.

mrperson: They cost about $120 new. So, you may want to consider jelloman's offer.

• Members
i have a ehx small stone and it's a great sounding pedal... but it does cause a volume drop when you engage it... this can be modded, but it shouldn't have to be imo

just a heads up

Sully, is yours a new model or an old one? I have one that's about 25 years old...just wondering its worth. :idk:

• Members

I've got the EVH one and it's pretty cool. I like the fact that the script logo button actually does something and I actually prefer it over the all out phase sound. It's just a little mellower where as the newer ones are a bit over the top IMHO. I really do wish that it had a wet/dry mix on it.

• Members

Sully, is yours a new model or an old one? I have one that's about 25 years old...just wondering its worth.
:idk:

new... got it a couple of years ago

no idea what yours would be worth.... the guys in the effects forum might be able to help you out though

out of interest...do the older ones have the volume drop?

• Members

I think there's a guy on here that makes cool interpretations of popular pedals. Analogman perhaps? Whatever company it is, they make a pedal called the Majestic Ninety. Check it out (if you can find out)! There's also a discount for HCEG Forumites
:)

That be me, thanks ten56. The Mystic is a clone of the original Script 90 from the 70's IMO one of the best sounding phasers ever built. I'll be putting out V2 here shortly which will add a switch to go from the classic script phase to a harder more modern phase similiar to the new MXR 90's.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
new... got it a couple of years ago

no idea what yours would be worth.... the guys in the effects forum might be able to help you out though

out of interest...do the older ones have the volume drop?

Not that I remember. :idk: It's boxed away right now, but I'll try checking it out tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Beh****er is terrible.

To my ears, the phase 90 is BLAND.

The best phasers I've heard (totally subjective) are either copies of old MuTron pedals, the TC Electronic Phaser XII, or, on the less expensive side, the EH Small Stone (nano).

The Phaser XII is extremely versitile with a 4/8/12 filter switch.

The Small Stone nano has a standard 4 filters, but an additional switch adds another filter.

Either one of those two pedals sounds far less bland than the standard Phase 90 because of the added filters... At least, that's what my ears tell me.

• Members

just a heads up

I would recommend this. I'm actually not a fan of phasers, generally, but I do like the very minimal settings on this unit. Just a touch for some texture sounds really good to me.

Archived