MF fender prices:have you checked today?

robbyg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread should have been entitled "{censored} Fender"

That's the way I feel about Fender right now. I really want a Telecaster, but these prices are crazy.

I'm thinking about saving some cash and getting an Xaviere Butterscotch Tele with a maple neck! :idea:

• Members

I suppose, then again - prices have been pretty steady for the past 15 years or so.

If they gradually added $10 per year to the price over 15 years, instead of $150 all at once (which they just did), would we still be complaining as loudly?

Yeah, come on. I bought my MIM standard in 1992 for $400. Guess what you could buy the exact same model last fall for? $400. Yeah price increase sux, but damn they held that price for WAY longer than anybody else did on anything. Look at cars, levi's, even tacos!

And I make approximately 3.5 times what I did in 1992, so I'm not gonna complain too much.

• Members

Yeah, come on. I bought my MIM standard in 1992 for $400. Guess what you could buy the exact same model last fall for? $400. Yeah price increase sux, but damn they held that price for WAY longer than anybody else did on anything. Look at cars, levi's, even tacos!

And I make approximately 3.5 times what I did in 1992, so I'm not gonna complain too much.

You paid what for it???

I bought Layla in my sig, an MIM Standard Strat, in 1995 for $285 plus tax from RONDO (when they were a brick and mortar store in NJ).

However... If you were to take any of Fender's prices of yesteryear and convert them to today's dollar via standard inflation figures, the new prices still aren't that high.

• Members

Here's fender's strategy, raise prices and get people all upset. As the economy moves toward "deflation" give out HUGE rebates to stimulate sales or give dealer motivated rebates to lower the instore price.

Then when the economy gets better, they will have their products at the higher list price to take advantage of the booming economy 5 to 10 years from now

That would work better if there weren't a plethora of excellent copies that are just as good for a fraction of the price or high end custom guitar copies that around the same price but miles better.

Whatever. Even the MIM Standards were a rip off at the old price, when you could get a Xaviere Strat or Tele that is of equivalent quality for a fraction of the price. Now at the new price, anyone that opts for a MIM Standard is just ignorant.

Archived