Strange Japanese Fender Stratocaster, anyone wanna guess what i got here? (pic's)

mloker

• Members

I just bought a japanese fender stratocaster, and on the back it says "made by japan" and the S/N is 91911, no letters

i have searched through many online s/n guides and no luck, thay all have a letter prefix. is it a "counterfeit" i wonder if it is a real fender and how old...thanks...

js1.jpg

js2.jpg

js4.jpg

js5.jpg

• Members

As has been determined, definitely not a Fender... Looks Hondo-ish. But a good player is a good player. Play it! The general MO with the lower end Japanese stuff is good wood, good fretwork, sometimes cheesy electronics. I have tuners that look EXACTLY like that on two Korean strats... they work, but I don't like them. Unless you are ecstatic about it, on a tight budget, I'd replace the tuners with GFS and probably get one of their $40 loaded pickguards. And it's hard to tell from the pics, but if the saddles are pot metal rather than solid block steel, I'd replace them as well.

Maybe oil the fretboard, polish the frets with steel wool, slap on new strings and see how she plays over the next couple weeks.

Dare I ask... how much was she?

• Members

i think everyones heard of MIJ fenders, but not too many MBJ guitars. If you paid a ton of money for it, i'd call him back or get the police involved for selling you a counterfit guitar.

but if you didn't pay a lot and it plays nice, then sand the fake cheesy looking decal (or sharpie marker) off and play that thing. That nut looks sweet.

• Members

never seen a nut like that on any FJ, but those can be changed. Tuners like those I see on low end models with many brand names but never on a Japanese Fender. Also never saw a FJ serial that wasn`t preceded by a letter.

Why would anybody fake a Japanese Fender?...look around, see how much some models are selling for these days, same goes for some other older MIJs, prices are getting` crazy on certain models...thats why.

Archived