GFS full block tremolo for MIM strat- MY REVIEW

elsupermanny14

• Members

The trem block holes in your guitars are inadequately routed for a fullsize block. That doesn't surprise me. Your reticence to fit it does.

ST1600H.jpg

ST1600I.jpg

I think the GFS saddles look better, other than the marks on them from machining.

The pickguard isn't really a deal breaker or problem for me.

I am used to having to perform modifications when installing aftermarket parts on guitars, cars, whatever.

I'd be interested to hear how your perception might change if you actually installed it, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Nice pics and review.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting this thread pops up today, I just put a GFS trem in my 2000 MIM Fender last night. No mods needed to install. I also put one in a partsocaster a few months ago, I needed to dremel the cavity a bit to get clearance for the block on that one. I have since blocked that trem.

DSCN0359.jpg

I'm not sure whether the stock Fender saddles are better than GFS or not. I did put the fender saddles back on the mim.

DSCN0360.jpg

Here is a pic of the partso with GFS saddles.

DSCN0361.jpg

• Members

Good honest review.

That said, I like the gfs trems on my bullets. On one it was a drop in, save for filing a bit of the pickgaurd. On the other I had to enlarge the trem cavity a bit. I don't have a MiM strat so I can't compare the saddles, but I thought the saddles looked fine and work fine.

• Members

Next time get a Callaham unit.

Yep that's what I'm gonna look into next. Not the whole assembly, but definitely the full size block.

Overall I think this is a good unit if you're building a partscaster and you're assuming that you're going to do some fitting during your build. In that scenario you can't pass it up for $35 bucks. But if you're trying to build your star guitar, your baby, then I would definitely invest the money in Callaham, or Wilkinson.

• Members

Because it's cheaper. Says so right on the GF page in question. I spend so little time admiring the finish on my trem blocks that it's not an issue.

I don't understand why the color of the block is so important? You never see it except for when you take the guitar apart...everyone has their preference though.

• Members

Not that it matters, but the GFS steel blocks on the trems that I bought for a couple of my Strats don't look painted - they look like they've got a black oxide finish, which helps prevent rust without interferring with the sustain. Oh - and they dropped right into my 1996 MIM Strat and my Bullet Strat.

• Members

Not that it matters, but the GFS steel blocks on the trems that I bought for a couple of my Strats don't look painted - they look like they've got a black oxide finish, which helps prevent rust without interferring with the sustain. Oh - and they dropped right into my 1996 MIM Strat and my Bullet Strat.

I'm pretty sure the fit isn't GFS fault. As someone stated earlier it's probably more because of the large variation in the bodies from the Korean made guitars.

• Members

I bought the block only to replace the stock one that came with the guitar. Doing this I get to use the original saddles. And there is a tonal improvement, subtle, but still an improvement. The only issue is have is that the threads for the trem arm do not line up so I can't use the trem which is not a real issue since I have it tightened all the way down any way.

Archived