GFS full block tremolo for MIM strat- MY REVIEW

elsupermanny14

• Members

I bought a wilkinson trem from GFS for my 62 ri. I think it stayed in tune well and I really like the pop out trem arm. However, the bridge did end up just touching the pickguard and it creaks a little when I play with out an amp. The finish is not that great and has already showed signs of wear after a little over a year. It will eventually need to be replaced, but for the price, I think it works really well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like you're just saying that the US-made Peavy Predator uses the US-made Fender vintage trem screw spacing (2 7/32" or 56.36mm center-to-center), not the import trem screw spacing (2 1/16" or 52.5mm)... which isn't too surprising. GFS makes one for that spacing too....

That may be. I've measured as carefully as I can, and from specs I found on the net it looks like there's about .040" difference between center to center on the Peavey screws and the Fender trem. I would have no problem putting that down to my measurement error...but as I've often found in these cases...you'll not know for sure till you spring for one and try to fit it up.

The odd thing is the block will work...you can't swap import and us blocks around on Fender trems..they won't line up.

• Members

and the guy with the Predator didn't you see your trem on the Predator only uses 4 screw not six like a vintage Fender trem. How the {censored} did you think the srew holes would line up.
:facepalm:

Thanks for sharing. It's not worth my time trying to explain.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For the OP - thanks for the good honest review and the pics. I'd be more than a little annoyed. Sounds like you're a little more level-headed.

Sounds like this is as much a lack of consistency on Fender's part as anything else. Shouldn't CNC keep things more consistent?

• Members

Don't have any experience with the GFS trem, but those saddles are the {censored}. Talk about a cheap way to breathe some tone into a strat/ tele.

I agree with DC, you should always expect to do some modding when fitting aftermarket parts on any guitar. That should in no way be a negative in any review, IMO.

Lou

• Members

Nice review, much better than the poncho thread opening.

I have never tried the GFS tremelo, but I dont think those saddles would deter me from buying one of the trems. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what makes a good feeling trem, and what I have concluded is that the quality of the trem plate(angle of the edge, and fit) is the most important. The block is the second most important, mostly for the sustain and quality of tone, and then the saddles come in dead last.

I dont think you could ever in a million years feel or hear a difference between MIM or GFS saddles.....

• Members

I dont think you could ever in a million years feel or hear a difference between MIM or GFS saddles.....

Agreed, at least in bent steel saddles. However, the GFS steel saddles are a definitive upgrade over regular bent steel saddles and do beef up the tone. I certainly hear it. Best mods for any cheap strat type guitar in the tone category- IMO- graphtech nut and steel saddles.

Lou

• Members

Agreed, at least in bent steel saddles. However, the GFS steel saddles are a definitive upgrade over regular bent steel saddles and do beef up the tone. I certainly hear it. Best mods for any cheap strat type guitar in the tone category- IMO- graphtech nut and steel saddles.

Lou

Right, considering the Graph Tech FerraGlide Saddles for Imports goes for over 50 bucks a set.

Archived