Strat tone from something other than a Strat?

tom_s252

• Members

Lifelong humbucker fan finally realising the purpose and potential of single-coil pickups after borrowing a Strat to sit in at a friend's gig a couple of weeks ago. I am besotted with the in-between settings, and have set my sights on owning something that makes that sound. However, I retain my distaste for the look and feel of the Strats. Heresy, I know...

So is there anything out there that has the three-pickup Strat setup without being Strat-shaped? Alternatively, could I/someone build one?

• Members

For a while Gibson made some SG's with three singles. Don't know if they're still making them.

Peavey t-26, if you can find a good old one, makes some decent strat noises with what I think is 12" radius fret-board on a damn-thin neck.

But it's more or less strat-shaped.

2330107150_9227709aee.jpg?v=0

• Members

My Carvin DC127 is a 2 humbucker guitar and I can pull some lovely stratty bluesy stuff out of it when I tap the neck.

DC-127 has decent single coil sounds, but doesn't sound much like a Strat. Mine didn't anyway.

I've never met anything other than a Strat that has real Strat sound.

• Members

How about a Tele shape with an S-S-S configuration? Optional strat type trem or strat type hardtail. The tone / playing feel will be a bit dif' if you do opt for a hardtail. But nothing major...a little brighter and stiffer.

Nashville Tele style? Worth a thought, certainly.

• Members

But didn't the guy like the 2 and 4 position on the strats? Can two splittable hums get that?

I wouldn't think they could.

Bonus points for observation! I suppose I could go HSH, but that setup tends to be found on superstrat-type metal guitars most often. Really, I'm happy for the guitar to be SSS, I'm just not taken by the Strat thing. 2 and 4 switch positions are fairly crucial though!

• Members

Bonus points for observation! I suppose I could go HSH, but that setup tends to be found on superstrat-type metal guitars most often. Really, I'm happy for the guitar to be SSS, I'm just not taken by the Strat thing. 2 and 4 switch positions are fairly crucial though!

If I was looking specifically for 2 and 4, I would really only go for something with three singles, but that's just me.

SG3BNSCH1.jpg

• Members

DC-127 has decent single coil sounds, but doesn't sound much like a Strat. Mine didn't anyway.

I've never met anything other than a Strat that has real Strat sound.

Even a G&L Legacy doesn't sound quite the same.

My vote is to just get a Strat and learn to like it. The OP is probably just afraid he'll learn to hate his other guitars :D

D

• Members

Take 1 Tele.

Route body for middle single coil

Fit a stacked single coil in the bridge with a tap, and Strat pickups in middle and neck.

Add a 5 way switch

Result, a versatile Strattish sounding Tele that keeps the inbetweens and has that glorious neck pickup.

:thu:

• Members

I think the key with "Strat tone" is: single coils (or split Hums) AND more importantly, a TREM. I think a big part of the strat tone comes from the open trem cavity and springs. My tele gets close in the middle position, just missing that bit of "airyness" that the trem cavity provides.

Lou

Archived