How fast are you?

nuke_diver

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never been able to play very fast and I've been playing for 14 years. I spent hours practicing those EVH style hammer on and pull off runs as a teenager and just never could get my fingers to move fast enough. I can do fast palm muted thrash rythym stuff no problem but my left hand just doesn't move quick enough for shredding.:idk:

• Members

yes it did... it was just really REALLY fast
:)

I tried again and i get a Google page that says "OOps, the link appears to be broken". But my computer is doing other funny things and is ready to give up the ghost. I just ordered a new PC with good performance and I decided to go with the M-audio Fast track pro as an AI. I'm also getting a new space in the house for my little home studio where I can leave things plugged and guitars on stand without fear of the kids breaking something. I want to get more serious about recording. Mistersully, I might PM you from time to time asking for tips!... :thu:

• Members

So fast I'm always finished.
:p
Ok, comfortably, and accuratley about
12 notes per second
using alternate picking. Faster using legato techniques. Glad to see I'm not the only one on here who can't sweep worth a pick!

The same note 12 times or a diminished scale? The question is not to poke fun at you but what does so many notes per second means really. Difficulty varies greatly depending on what's been played.

• Members

The same note 12 times or a diminished scale? The question is not to poke fun at you but what does so many notes per second means really. Difficulty varies greatly depending on what's been played.

I was talking about a scale, or something I wrote/planned out (which is actually how I came to the 12 NPS). And i can only do it in short burts. i can't do the 43,576,323 non-stop 32nd notes like some guys can. (Which I admit is fun to watch, but boring to listen to).

The same note as fast as possible would technically be cheating, but I think I'd be even faster that way!

If I play too fast, it get's sloppy (which this part of the solo was actually meant to be to counterbalance the melodic part that follows) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBEvXZeSS0

But one of my favorite solos that I've composed is only about a minute long and actually rather slow.

• Members

I tried again and i get a Google page that says "OOps, the link appears to be broken". But my computer is doing other funny things and is ready to give up the ghost. I just ordered a new PC with good performance and I decided to go with the M-audio Fast track pro as an AI. I'm also getting a new space in the house for my little home studio where I can leave things plugged and guitars on stand without fear of the kids breaking something. I want to get more serious about recording. Mistersully, I might PM you from time to time asking for tips!...
:thu:

the link is fake... it was just an attempt (albeit lame) at humour :)

looking forward to hearing your recordings... i'd be happy to help any way i can

i'll be interested to hear how the M-audio works out... i'll be changing back to computer based recording soon... so i might be after an AI myself... i have an old hoontech c-port around somewhere... not sure how functional it still is though

as for this thread... i'm not fast... at all

• Members

As I tried to say initially there is a speed that is needed to play a particular piece and then there is pure speed. I wanted to put up a poll to have some kind of guage but I messed up :facepalm:.

I've heard Jkater play and I cannot do that :(. I'm not that fast. I can maybe do 8th notes at 200 for a short period, 180 sustain. There is a speed that is needed for any piece and being slower does restrict what you can play. I'm working on pressing the limits of what I can play and how I can improve.

I'm not trying to set any records just trying to guage what I need to target long term in order to be able to play a lot of things but not necessarily everything :cop:

• Members

I would say around a Slash level of speed (although a different style of player)...moderately fast but well short of outright shredding. Listen to the end solo of this piece if you want to get an idea of my max speed. This is pretty sloppy actually. I can do this cleanly, but this was a track that was due for a recording/music creation class and I ran out of time to make it clean. Figured the professor probably wouldn't care too much if I didn't get a perfect take.

http://academics.hamilton.edu/music/spellman/studio/archives/fall2008/PrescottanoRocketship.mp3

Archived