All mahogany Les Pauls - sound like a LP?

• Members

I love them so much that it's almost the only LP I'll buy now.

But to be honest I really think that the pickup configuration is where I was sold. I seemed to be stuck with a selection of 490/498 pickups and the all mahogany LP's had BB Pros or 57 Classics which just sound so much better.

For some reason the all mahog sounded more LP to me than the regular LP's if that makes any sense at all.

• Members

I had an LP VM for a while. In fact, it's sold...but waiting on payment before shipping. It's kinda hard to compare it to say, a regular Studio. If the pickups were the same, it would be a fair comparo. The regular studios do not have Burstbuckers.

In comparing the VM to a Standard, I'd say the standard is a little more snappy and bright. The VM has a nice, more mellow tone. Not harsh at all. Sold mine to fund my new Strat purchase.

And I'm pretty sure that the original "Black Beauty" models were all mahogany...

• Members

No real experience with Gibson in this regard only my Hamers and Washburns. I have two maple capped guitars (Hamer Mirage II and Washburn P4) and two all mahogany guitars (Hamer HB Special and Washburn P290) and really love them all. I do find the all mahogany models to be a bit warmer sounding and the maple tops to have a bit more bite and definition.

• Members

For those that have played the maple capped and all mahogany guitars, what did you think? Sound right?

I know that some 50s LPs with painted tops were all mahogany

They sound a little warmer, blusier, resonant, less top end snap and sustain.

• Members

I've spent a LOT of time with a early 70's reissue of a 1954 Custom...all Mahogany with P90 bridge and Alnico neck.

It's dark...very dark.

I miss the "Sprang" of Maple on that one.

Whereas on my Doublecut and SG they seem to have some "Sprang"...thinner lighter bodies?

:thu:

Heres that RI:

gareths

• Moderators

I've spent a LOT of time with a early 70's reissue of a 1954 Custom...all Mahogany with P90 bridge and Alnico neck.

It's dark...very dark.

I miss the "Sprang" of Maple on that one.

Whereas on my Doublecut and SG they seem to have some "Sprang"...thinner lighter bodies?

Heres that RI:

gareths

I'd bet me left nut that has 300k pots in...is that yours Marc?

• Members

I'd bet me left nut that has 300k pots in...is that yours Marc?

It belongs to the other guitarist in "The Plague"

It's lived with me a lot, and I've played it and gigged it....it's a sweet guitar, but personally I would want to mod it a little to make it more practical, but as it's apparently all original bar the missing scratchplate...and no. it's not mine.

I can pretty much play it/use it when I like, but I dont tend to....but the owner adores it and thats the most important thing .

I genuinely prefer my LPs, modern and non vintage though they be....

And Sean...If I had any money I'd be ripping my arms off for your Tokai...why you selling?

• Members

I have a few all mahogany guitars, a couple with double P-90's, and one with double-humbuckers. My Hamer Special (trad LP DC shape) and Schecter Tempest Special (modified LP DC shape with changes to horns) have P-90's. I think the added growl of the P-90's, versus humbuckers, is a good match for all-mahogany. Although not shaped like an LP, my DeArmond Jet Star is also all-mahogany but has humbuckers. However, the DeArmond GoldTones are voiced a little brighter than most humbuckers, so again it's a good match. I also have a Gretsch Special Jet, which is a Jet (singlecut LP-ish) slab mahogany body but with singles (DeArmond 2000's) rather than HB's.

Over all, it's not a big difference without the maple cap, and I prefer the slight weight reduction of a slab body. Since most of my slab mahogany body guitars have singles of some sort, there's no prob with being overly dark.

• Members

You know perhaps it does mellow it out a bit. I like the PAF pickups in them and I love the tone of neck pickups so perhaps with that info on my preferences it explains why I love the all mahogany LP's so much. I mean it's so bad that I am thinking about trying to score another LPVM if I get another LP.

• Members

For those that have played the maple capped and all mahogany guitars, what did you think? Sound right?

I know that some 50s LPs with painted tops were all mahogany

The Vintage Mahogany LP's are some of the best sounding LP's i have heard in the last 20years.

By that, i mean strummed acoustically.

Once you swap the pu's, they can sound even better !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playbsides/2823650344/

I love all Mahogany LP's :evil::thu:

Archived