Build threads that will blow your mind!

chiro972

• Members

This guy is beyond amazing. If you like build threads, you have to look at these. The guy's attention to detail are simply incredible. He makes pretty much everything from scratch too.

1955 Strat

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/148966-1955-stratocaster-build.html

1956 tele

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/145299-1956-telecaster-build.html

And it looks like he is starting another. I definitely would love to have one of this guys guitars someday.

• Members

It'd be nice if he'd take some detailed shots of the progress.
:rolleyes:

:D

I'm not sure I follow. His threads are hundreds of posts long and each post has several large, detailed pics. Other than trying to snap pictures while using both hands to control a running power tool (which just might be a little dangerous) I don't know how much more detailed he could be.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't notice your rolling eyes there. Can I assume you were kidding??

• Members

I'm not sure I follow. His threads are hundreds of posts long and each post has several large, detailed pics. Other than trying to snap pictures while using both hands to control a running power tool (which just might be a little dangerous) I don't know how much more detailed he could be.

Most non builders dont realise how much of a PITA it is to try and stop, take photos, etc while you are involved in a build... seriously. It interupts your train of thought.

The builds are well done indeed.

AJC

• Members

I always love reading your build threads Andrew, but these ones just blew my mind. If you read some of his other threads, he is doing computer analysis of the tonal properties of the wood before he chooses it for necks too.

I have no idea if any of it would make a difference to my wooden ears, but it sure is interesting to watch the guy's work.

• Members

I always love reading your build threads Andrew, but these ones just blew my mind. If you read some of his other threads, he is doing computer analysis of the tonal properties of the wood before he chooses it for necks too.

I have no idea if any of it would make a difference to my wooden ears, but it sure is interesting to watch the guy's work.

Yes, thats beyond what I can devote to any build... heck, he said he spent three days just making a template from the old Tele... in three days I would have gone from rough lumber to playing the dam thing ;)

But they are awesome guitars!

AJC

• Members

Most non builders dont realise how much of a PITA it is to try and stop, take photos, etc while you are involved in a build... seriously. It interupts your train of thought.

AJC

Not to mention the fact that (most of us) only have two hands to begin with. Keeping the camera from getting dusted is also a problem.

• Members

I want someone beuilding an SG, then we'll talk.

He actually has a les paul in the works, so who knows maybe an SG will come after that!

The guy's english isn't the best (its not his first language) but the descriptions and pictures are amazing. Face it, for most of us (me included) putting a guitar together from parts that we buy is as far as we'll ever go. So seeing a guy build his own pickups from scratch (he cuts the magnets and magnetizes them and cuts his own plates and winds them) and making his own pickguards and trem tips just to get them vintage correct is just mind boggling to me.

• Members

He actually has a les paul in the works, so who knows maybe an SG will come after that!

The guy's english isn't the best (its not his first language) but the descriptions and pictures are amazing. Face it, for most of us (me included) putting a guitar together from parts that we buy is as far as we'll ever go. So seeing a guy build his own pickups from scratch (he cuts the magnets and magnetizes them and cuts his own plates and winds them) and making his own pickguards and trem tips just to get them vintage correct is just mind boggling to me.

I dont think lingual skills mean a lot here.

:lol: And my teacher says us Israelis dont build good guitars!

• Members

he said he spent three days just making a template from the old Tele...

I don't get that part. it only takes a router bit with a bearing and an hour to make perfect and exact templates every time. :confused::confused:

This guy is incredible regardless

• Members

he goes so far as to make sure and put nails into the proper spot on body and then cover up the nail hole later just to replicate what was done in the Fender factory back in the day.

the guy is definitely anal, but I still love watching the guitar come to life. The pics of the final product are just stunning.

• Members

he goes so far as to make sure and put nails into the proper spot on body and then cover up the nail hole later just to replicate what was done in the Fender factory back in the day.

the guy is definitely anal, but I still love watching the guitar come to life. The pics of the final product are just stunning.

I wonder what's the price on his creations...

• Members

I was intrigued by his choosing of the grain on the neck in the strat build.

Also his mention of tap tone and tuning fork technoques. AJC, Atrox, can you guys speak to that?

I feel like it is some divine technique like dowsing. And I wants to learn it.

• Members

I was intrigued by his choosing of the grain on the neck in the strat build.

Also his mention of tap tone and tuning fork technoques. AJC, Atrox, can you guys speak to that?

I feel like it is some divine technique like dowsing. And I wants to learn it.

Man, thats way WAY beyond what I can do/know. I just pick up a piece of wood I think might make a good body blank and rap it sharply with my knuckles while suspended between my thumb & finger. If it rings and has a definite tone/sustain, its good. If it sounds dull and dead I pass.

AJC

• Members

Man, thats way WAY beyond what I can do/know. I just pick up a piece of wood I think might make a good body blank and rap it sharply with my knuckles while suspended between my thumb & finger. If it rings and has a definite tone/sustain, its good. If it sounds dull and dead I pass.

AJC

Same here. :thu:

That guy's got mad skills, that's for sure. There's room for everyone in the DIY guitar world, from wacky and out there to ultra purist, and he definitely fills the ultra purist slot for us. Gotta respect that level of meticulous skill.

Archived