A Word about Practicing Efficiently.. long read

FUBTAG

• Members

A lot of members here feel that they don't play well enough to potential or considering their practice techinique. Then we have the guy who starting his journey towards guitar master after 10,000 hours of practice (more power to him if he's got the time and $$). Well, let me tell you my story... which hopefully helps the new players and the players who feel the need to step it up.

Some of you may know that I am a bagpiper. What you may not know is that I only started back in September. In this short amount of time, I have become proficient enough to be able to march this season with the band AND started playing paid solo piper gigs. Expectations when starting on the practice chanter (which is basically a kazoo with fingering holes) that you will spend 1 to 2 years on that before advancing to the bagpipe. I was able to accomplish in 6 months what many pipers aren't able to in a year or more. There are people marching in the band that aren't at my level. I am not meaning to sound like egotistical individual. I am just hoping to impress upon you the benefits of practicing efficiently.

Lessons are offered once a week in a group setting (just like guitar lessons when you 12 that were offered on a Saturday morning through your school). You start from the beginning learning the 9 notes (low G to high A), the scales and sight reading. As each week progresses you learn the different "embellishments" that enable you to play the instrument such as doublings, grace notes, grips, the taourluath, throws and burls. Each is a dance your finger makes on the chanter and takes time to master.

As I am already 40 years old, I decided that I needed to really concentrate on learning the basics as well as I could. Each day, I would spend my lunch hour in my car and another hour at home after work practicing each new movement while still building on what was previously learned. My first week was just scales. Second week, grace notes PLUS the scales. It was a building process. By December, I was already learning the marching tunes that would permit me to enter the 'pipe circle'.

I had ordered my pipes at the end of November and took receipt just before Christmas. Again, expectations are that a few moths of just trying to get the drones to sound smoothly were noted. Every night, after my chanter practice, I would take the pipes out and just 'blow' first for 5 minutes on day one, 10 the next, 20 the next and so on. 2 of drones were 'corked closed' so I wasn't trying too hard to get them all to play. then after the first week I took one cork out, and again the next so I was playing the full set in 3 weeks. By the end of January, I was in the pipe circle and the last weekend of February was my first performance. While I still have so much to learn, I have built a solid foundation from which to keep learning.

I have been playing guitar for 25 years. If I had taken the time to methodically learn the guitar, I would be a 'master' because I would have the abilities I wish I had. This is not to say that I am unhappy with my playing. It is quite sufficient. This story is more for those who feel that they need hours and hours and HOURS of practice to be able to become good. It is HOW and WHAT you practice that makes the most impact on your ability. I am sure that I have 'noodled' on guitar for more that 10,000 hours in my life but the return on investment is nothing compared to what I have accomplished by systematically learning the bagpipe.

If you read this to the end.. thank you. I hope that it helps you in your quest to 'greatness' on guitar or anything else you might set your mind to.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of members here feel that they don't play well enough to potential or considering their practice techinique. Then we have the guy who starting his journey towards guitar master after 10,000 hours of practice (more power to him if he's got the time and $$). Well, let me tell you my story... which hopefully helps the new players and the players who feel the need to step it up.

Some of you may know that I am a bagpiper. What you may not know is that I only started back in September. In this short amount of time, I have become proficient enough to be able to march this season with the band AND started playing paid solo piper gigs. Expectations when starting on the practice chanter (which is basically a kazoo with fingering holes) that you will spend 1 to 2 years on that before advancing to the bagpipe. I was able to accomplish in 6 months what many pipers aren't able to in a year or more. There are people marching in the band that aren't at my level. I am not meaning to sound like egotistical individual. I am just hoping to impress upon you the benefits of practicing efficiently.

Lessons are offered once a week in a group setting (just like guitar lessons when you 12 that were offered on a Saturday morning through your school). You start from the beginning learning the 9 notes (low G to high A), the scales and sight reading. As each week progresses you learn the different "embellishments" that enable you to play the instrument such as doublings, grace notes, grips, the taourluath, throws and burls. Each is a dance your finger makes on the chanter and takes time to master.

As I am already 40 years old, I decided that I needed to really concentrate on learning the basics as well as I could. Each day, I would spend my lunch hour in my car and another hour at home after work practicing each new movement while still building on what was previously learned. My first week was just scales. Second week, grace notes PLUS the scales. It was a building process. By December, I was already learning the marching tunes that would permit me to enter the 'pipe circle'.

I had ordered my pipes at the end of November and took receipt just before Christmas. Again, expectations are that a few moths of just trying to get the drones to sound smoothly were noted. Every night, after my chanter practice, I would take the pipes out and just 'blow' first for 5 minutes on day one, 10 the next, 20 the next and so on. 2 of drones were 'corked closed' so I wasn't trying too hard to get them all to play. then after the first week I took one cork out, and again the next so I was playing the full set in 3 weeks. By the end of January, I was in the pipe circle and the last weekend of February was my first performance. While I still have so much to learn, I have built a solid foundation from which to keep learning.

I have been playing guitar for 25 years. If I had taken the time to methodically learn the guitar, I would be a 'master' because I would have the abilities I wish I had. This is not to say that I am unhappy with my playing. It is quite sufficient. This story is more for those who feel that they need hours and hours and HOURS of practice to be able to become good. It is HOW and WHAT you practice that makes the most impact on your ability. I am sure that I have 'noodled' on guitar for more that 10,000 hours in my life but the return on investment is nothing compared to what I have accomplished by systematically learning the bagpipe.

If you read this to the end.. thank you. I hope that it helps you in your quest to 'greatness' on guitar or anything else you might set your mind to.

Yes, it's quality of practice that makes one good. 10,000 hours of noodleing will make one a decent noodler at best. John Coltrane said he played in a bar once and everyone laughed so he went home and practiced 8 hours a day for a year and went back to that bar and was well, John Coltrane...Then there's the other route, just playing in a band will make one good. When asked Joe Strummer if he's gotten any better on guitar after touring he said he'd have to be an idiot not to get better playing shows 5 days a week.

• Members

Good post.

My biggest problem with the whole practice thing is that I forget stuff when I move on. I've learned solos that have been forgotten, styles ditto. But in terms of developing muscle memory etc. your practice technique is spot on, and if adopted would enable a lot of us to improve rapidly.

• Members

I agree with Fubtag. My practice sessions done daily have increased over the years to now be about one hour or longer, depending on how my hands feel on any given day.

I have added more meaningful things as I kept progressing, but I have kept the earlier things I felt would continue to aid me in keeping my chops up-to-speed.

I started doing this about 40 years ago, and I practice every day. To me, it made all the difference.

• Members

Paid solo piper gigs is where you lost me. I started wondering where those might be and if maybe there was a rash of Irish funerals in your area. I'm sure I agree with the rest of the post but now I'm daydreaming.

LOL -- Wedding and funerals are big piper gigs.. but on St Patricks Day.. well -- you can run from bar to bar all day... I did only one gig (on top of the NYC parade and an additional band performance) . 20 minutes of music .. a couple of beers and walk out with $100 in pocket.

• Members

Certainly practicing basics is more important for most people than anything else. Sadly we are all seduced by the few people with natual ability that just "get" it and tell you so. Coming from one that needs to work very hard to get a modest amount of playability I can tell you it is sometimes depressing, listening to a clip from a 11 year old that cannot have played more than a few years so things that you still struggle with or can't do altogether.

The basics are why I have finally moved from being a begineer for years to more advanced and I have my instructer to thank. You can never do wrong with them IMO. Great post FUBTAG

Oh btw did you consider that you might have natural talent for the pipes...maybe you missed your calling 25 years ago :wave:

• Members

I think the other thing (that you partially touch on) is having the guitar (in our case) with you. You had your chanter with you all the time.

I was teasing the lead guitarist of 2 of my favorite bands via email. I noticed that, looking at some pictures of him in California, he always had his guitar with him. At the beach.....in the parking lot.....in the bar....on the pier. He said "you have to do that if you want to be good." He's already good...but thats beside the point. Most of the self-taught rock stars I've read about have one thing in common: they always have a guitar around.

• Members

LOL -- Wedding and funerals are big piper gigs.. but on St Patricks Day.. well -- you can run from bar to bar all day... I did only one gig (on top of the NYC parade and an additional band performance) . 20 minutes of music .. a couple of beers and walk out with $100 in pocket.

*goes on craigslist and looks for pipes*

• Members

Oh btw did you consider that you might have natural talent for the pipes...maybe you missed your calling 25 years ago
:wave:

there is no such thing as natural bagpipe talent! haha just kidding. My background in music definitely helped. But I can't get my fingers to 'fly' over the fretboard, yet I can get them moving pretty fast for the chanter work. 25 years ago, I also wasn't ready to make the 'sacrifices' necessary. There are ALWAYS sacrifices to make when you seriously study an instrument.

I think the other thing (that you partially touch on) is having the guitar (in our case) with you. You had your chanter with you all the time.

Your guitarist friend is dead on. Luckily the chanter sits on the passenger seat easy enough. If i'm sitting in traffic, I grab it and just play a few scales or embellishments. I know many guys who have a guitar within arms reach at almost all times (at least when at home) .. but the question is are they noodling or practicing?

• Members

I practice my guitar about 4-5 hours a day, but only 3-4 of those are intense finger "workouts" the other few hours is either noodling, writing, recording... and this doesnt count the hours I have lessons and play with my band. Over the past few months I've been really motivated to get better, and changed my practice routine and started taking lessons from a music major graduate which really improved my playing. over the past few months i've made more progress than I have in the past 7 years of playing guitar... It's all about the practice...

• Members

Q: Why do bagpipers walk when they play?

A: To get away from the noise.

Q: What's the only thing worse than a bagpiper?

A: Good question. We're still trying to find out too.

Bagpipes (noun) - I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig. -Alfred Hitchcock

Q. How do you get two bagpipes to play a perfect unison?

A. Shoot one.

Q. What's the definition of a minor second?

A. Two bagpipes playing in unison.

Q. What's the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?

A. No one cries when you chop up an bagpipe.

Q. What's the difference between a bagpipe and a trampoline?

A. You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

Q. How can you tell a bagpiper with perfect pitch?

A. He can throw a set into the middle of a pond and not hit any of the ducks.

Q. How is playing a bagpipe like throwing a javelin blindfolded?

A. You don't have to be very good to get people's attention.

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. To get away from the bagpipe recital.

Q. What's the difference between the Great Highland and Northumbrian bagpipes?

A. The GHB burns longer [but the Northumbrian burns hotter]

Q. What do you call bagpiper with half a brain?

A. Gifted.

Q. What's the difference between a lawnmower and a bagpipe?

A. You can tune the lawnmower, and the owner's neighbors are upset if you borrow the lawnmower and don't return it.

Q. How many bagpipers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Five, one to handle the bulb and the other four to contemplate how Bill Livingston would have done it.

Q. How many bagpipers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A. 5-one to do it, and four to criticise his fingering style.

Q. If you were lost in the woods, who would you trust for directions, an in-tune bagpipe player, an out of tune bagpipe player, or Santa Claus?

A. The out of tune bagpipe player. The other two indicate you have been hallucinating.

Q. How do you make a chain saw sound like a bagpipe?

A. Add vibrato.

Q. How many bagpipers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Five. One to handle the bulb, the other four to tell him how much better they could have done it.

Q. What's the definition of a gentleman?

A. Someone who knows how to play the bagpipe and doesn't.

Q. Why do bagpipers leave their cases on their dashboards?

A. So they can park in handicapped zones.

Q. What's the definition of a quarter tone?

A. A bagpiper tuning his drones.

Q. What do bagpipers use for birth control?

A. Their personalities.

Q. What's the difference between a dead bagpiper in the road and a dead country singer in the road?

A. The country singer may have been on the way to a recording session.

Q. What's the range of a bagpipe?

A. Twenty yards if you have a good arm.

Q. What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

A. A bagpiper.

Q. What did the bagpiper get on his I.Q. test?

A. Drool.

Q. What's one thing you never hear people say?

A. Oh, that's the bagpipe player's Porsche.

Q. Why do bagpipers always walk when they play?

A. Moving targets are harder to hit.

Q. How do you know if a bagpipe band is at your front door?

A. No one knows when to come in.

Q. Why did the bagpiper get mad at the drummer?

A. He moved a drone and wouldn't tell him which one.

Q. Why are bagpipers fingers like lightning?

A. They rarely strike the same spot twice.

Tom: "Hey, Buddy. How late does the bagpipe band play?"

Buddy: "Oh, about a half beat behind the drummer."

Q: What's the difference between a Scotsman and a Rolling Stone?

A: A Rolling Stone says "hey you, get off of my cloud!", while a Scotsman says "Hey McLeod, get off of my ewe!"

Q. How can you tell if a bagpipe is out of tune?

A. Someone is blowing into it.

Q. Why is a bagpipe like a Scud missile?

A. Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Archived