Agile vs. ESP. Thoughts???

veedubber

• Members

Looking at a comparison between an Agile AL-3100 and an ESP LTD EC-400AT. Any thoughts. I really like the looks of the Agile. I have, however, never seen one in person much less played one. I own the ESP. I am thinking about selling the ESP to fund the Agile purchase. I am doing this for aesthetic purposes. I am just tires of plain black guitars. I want something that looks great. Something......classy? The question I have is whether or not the Agile is just as good of a guitar as far as playability and tone. I don't want to find myself saying "Yeah the Agile looks better, but it sounds like crap.....or it plays like crap." Blindfolded, would I be just as happy with either one? Would the appearance of the Agile just be icing on the cake?

• Members

I posted this in another thread, but I have the LTD EC-400VF in tobacco burst. It is a very beautiful guitar, and it plays and sounds awesome. I have never played an Agile, but I have owned four LTDs (I still own two of them) and each one of them were heads-above quality.

Here's a few close-up pictures of the body:

0226091259a.jpg

0226091216.jpg

And one of the headstock:

0226091216a.jpg

• Members

^^^Well, there is a 100% return policy for that reason, and all you'd have to eat is ground shipping charges.. $10-15 in many cases. That's a pretty low risk IMO. If it's damaged or defective, you even get the shipping charge refunded. Not too shabby. ;)

On the other side, I've never owned an ESP or LTD, but they have tremendous respect amongst their owners. I imagine it's six or one half a dozen, and just depends on what you're looking for. As an Agile owner, I can't recommend trying one strongly enough, especially if it's at a savings of money comparably. The risk is minimal, and the possible reward far exceeds the alternative (never knowing). Just so you don't get the impression that I'm an Agile Brand Snob, I've owned and played the *other* brands that are usually stacked against Agile. No regrets here. Unless you're someone who just has to play/feel/look before you buy and can't bare the possible rejection or dissatisfaction that may arrive, I'd consider an Agile.

Go here for more (and larger) photos http://www.agileguitarforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=35

normal_IMG_4091.JPG

normal_IMG_4104.JPG

normal_IMG_4102.JPG

normal_IMG_4078.JPG

• Members

ESP LTd diff as superior, better necks esp. The dimensions Ive seen listed for agiles just make me stay away from them neck wise even though they are supposed to be much better then the SX' series which are horrid imo from ones Ive seen in stores used guitar sections. Ive only seen one agile in stores used dept, was ok for low budget guitar, but diff not as good as ESP Ltd, Peavey, Jackson, Ibanezs, and BC Rich, imports lower price models imo.

• Members

ESP LTd diff as superior, better necks esp. The dimensions Ive seen listed for agiles just make me stay away from them neck wise even though they are supposed to be much better then the SX' series which are horrid imo from ones Ive seen in stores used guitar sections. Ive only seen one agile in stores used dept, was ok for low budget guitar, but diff not as good as ESP Ltd, Peavey, Jackson, Ibanezs, and BC Rich, imports lower price models imo.

SX is a completely different animal compared to Agile, and the only thing they have in common is where they're sold. Agile guitars also come in several models, all of which are significant steps better than model below it. The necks on the AL-2K are made of maple, and scarfed near the 3-5 fret area for the headstock. The AL-3K necks are solid 1 piece mahogany, with out a scarf joint. The AL-3k is a big jump in quality all around. If any quality/craftsmanship comparisons were to be drawn, the AL-3K would land near and above any Epiphone Custom, or Ultra.

Neck wise they feel very similar to Epiphone Standards/Customs. But if you're looking for a slim neck, ala jackson/ibanez,bc rich, then you'd have to get a slim neck Agile to approach that feel. And if you were biased towards a slim neck, then I can understand why you would NOT like an SX, which are known to be on the thicker/chunkier side. Different strokes for different folks.

• Members

The top of the line Agiles will be as good or better than LTD's in the same price range, and maybe even a little bit more.

Aren't the upper end LTD's made in Korea?

I would not be surprised if the Agile factory made some of those.....

But the almighty name is very important to some people...

• Members

The top of the line Agiles will be as good or better than LTD's in the same price range, and maybe even a little bit more.

Aren't the upper end LTD's made in Korea?

I would not be surprised if the Agile factory made some of those.....

But the almighty name is very important to some people...

I ahve a few Agiles and I like them. they are pretty darn good guitars.

If you like the look of the Agile Buy it - they're great.

If you like the ESP keep it.

It's all good.

• Members

I don't know the particular models - but I had one low end ESP and it was OK. Had good PUP's - was playable. On the other hand, every Agile I have played I have loved. Except one AL2000. ESP's have their fans. I suffer from the "grass is always greener" so what can I say to dissuade you? I will say that Agiles seem to sell pretty well at the forum here. So if you don't like the Agile, you might be able to sell it on the spam thread without too big a loss.

Good luck,

- W

• Members

^^^Well, there is a 100% return policy for that reason, and all you'd have to eat is ground shipping charges.. $10-15 in many cases. That's a pretty low risk IMO. If it's damaged or defective, you even get the shipping charge refunded. Not too shabby.
;)

Actually shipping to my place is $20 each way, so that is $40 plus gas money and the time to return. Hope you save the box of course or add another $10 in packing costs.

They are great guitars. How much is an LTD? Is this a new or used LTD?

• Members

Actually shipping to my place is $20 each way, so that is $40 plus gas money and the time to return. Hope you save the box of course or add another $10 in packing costs.

They are great guitars. How much is an LTD? Is this a new or used LTD?

You only loose on one way shipping, in that hypothetical case $20. Gas is taking it too far.. If you live in the sticks where UPS won't deliver, then you'd have to drive to a store or the UPS center no matter what the situation, thus gas and time are excluded. And if you threw away the box, then I wouldn't feel the least bit sorry for you having to pay another $10 for a box. :poke:

• Members

Yeah the thread title reads ESP...................

do those boobies have esp?

other than the duncan pickups, the ltd 400 seems to be somewhere between the agile 2000 and 3000 for spec, and from what ive seen in the stores is of similar build quality.

so if its priced around the same as the agiles, its a bit of a toss up. if it costs significantly more, id go agile unless you are set on the look of the esp. i can only find the 401 new online and its nearly double the cost of the agile 3000 and doesnt seem worth it.

• Members

I was comparing the Agile to an LTD. The OP was asking about an LTD..

Both made in Korea (at least the better LTD's are).

With a little digging/research, i bet they probably come from the same factory....

ESP's are made in Japan, IIRC.

and "generally" Japanese guitars are better than Korean.

• Members

do those boobies have esp?

other than the duncan pickups, the ltd 400 seems to be somewhere between the agile 2000 and 3000 for spec, and from what ive seen in the stores is of similar build quality.

so if its priced around the same as the agiles, its a bit of a toss up. if it costs significantly more, id go agile unless you are set on the look of the esp. i can only find the 401 new online and its nearly double the cost of the agile 3000 and doesnt seem worth it.

No they don't but I was referring to LTD and ESP not being the same guitar is all.LTD makes fine guitars but they're not as good as ESP guitars,at least not the many I've played and owned.

Archived