Now I understand the big fuss over Ibanez necks.

Symmetry2170

• Members

My local shop got in some of the new 09 models: RG, Sabers, SV's, prestige and non prestige. I picked up a new S670, I believe, it has the Wizard 2 and DAMN, that thing felt like a baseball bat! Played an S470DXQM and the same thing! I have to say that it wasn't incredibly bad, but only because my hands are rather large. At first I didn't mind the factory move from Korea to Indonesia, but this has me concerned. I'm a huge fan of Ibanez and I'm pretty damn loyal to them, but crap they need to get their lower end models together.

Anyone else encounter this yet?

Also, I'm a player/consumer who worries (unnaturally) about the future. So, I have this fear that Ibanez is going to go out of business, and thus no more of my favorite company. However, they could get bought out and go one of two ways, hopefully get better or go back to the even better company that they used to be. It's a pretty irrational fear/worry, but that's me. Anyone else ever feel like that or am I the only one?:rolleyes:

• Members

Also, I'm a player/consumer who worries (unnaturally) about the future. So, I have this fear that Ibanez is going to go out of business, and thus no more of my favorite company. However, they could get bought out and go one of two ways, hopefully get better or go back to the even better company that they used to be. It's a pretty irrational fear/worry, but that's me. Anyone else ever feel like that or am I the only one?
:rolleyes:

Don't worry dude, everything will be alright!!!!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been a fan of Ibanez since the early 80s. I have three at the moment and have probably owned 4 others including an RG321 that had the Wizard II neck. It's not super crazy thin, but man... I think that's the first time I've ever heard it described as 'like a baseball bat'.

:eek:

• Members

i have a rg 321 and i would just like to say for the record that the neck is hardly like a baseball bat, its WAY thinner than any other guitar iv owned. im use to my les paul so i could be biased but still.....a baseball bat?

• Members
I've been a fan of Ibanez since the early 80s. I have three at the moment and have probably owned 4 others including an RG321 that had the Wizard II neck. It's not super crazy thin, but man... I think that's the first time I've ever heard it described as 'like a baseball bat'.

:eek:

I have a 321 as well. The neck feels thicker than a Wizard (I know because I also have a Wizard equipped '91 RG 570), but nowhere near "baseball bat".
Actually quite comfy IMO.

• Members

Objectively, Wizards are thin. For example, the 1st fret thickness on the current RG Prestige models is 17mm, or .670". That's incredibly thin. The Wizard II neck is 19mm, or .750". To put it in perspective, compare the Wizards to the first-fret thickness of these axes:

Fender MIA Strat or Tele - .780-.800"

Peavey EVH Wolfgang - .815"

Fender MIM Strat or Tele - .830-.850"

Clapton Strat .835"

SRV Strat .835"

Eric Johnson Strat .840"

LP Studio w/ 50's neck shape: .820"

The lower end Ibanez models have thicker necks, per Ibanez's own website. For example, the GRX models are 20.5mm, or .800" at the 1st fret, which would put them in Fender MIA Strat/Tele territory. While considerably thicker than a Wizard or Wizard II, it's a long way from baseball bat territory. If you want to experience a baseball bat neck, try an original Jeff Beck Strat, which is about .900" at the 1st fret, or a 50's boatneck at 1". :)

• Members

if you are talking about the "sz" series, with the string-through design, like Marty Friedman plays, then they have always had the thicker necks. The other ones are still all pretty super4 thin and hap-happy-joy-joy inducing. chill out and play an RG.

• Members
Objectively, Wizards are thin. For example, the 1st fret thickness on the current RG Prestige models is 17mm, or .670". That's incredibly thin. The Wizard II neck is 19mm, or .750". To put it in perspective, compare the Wizards to the first-fret thickness of these axes:

Fender MIA Strat or Tele - .780-.800"

Peavey EVH Wolfgang - .815"

Fender MIM Strat or Tele - .830-.850"

Clapton Strat .835"

SRV Strat .835"

Eric Johnson Strat .840"

LP Studio w/ 50's neck shape: .820"

The lower end Ibanez models have thicker necks, per Ibanez's own website. For example, the GRX models are 20.5mm, or .800" at the 1st fret, which would put them in Fender MIA Strat/Tele territory. While considerably thicker than a Wizard or Wizard II, it's a long way from baseball bat territory. If you want to experience a baseball bat neck, try an original Jeff Beck Strat, which is about .900" at the 1st fret, or a 50's boatneck at 1".
:)

Thank you for the info and specs. I will admit that by calling it a "baseball bat" was a metaphor and my way of saying that it felt thick/big/huge/etc. I'm sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding.

• Members

Thank you for the info and specs. I will admit that by calling it a "baseball bat" was a metaphor and my way of saying that it felt thick/big/huge/etc. I'm sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding.

Yeah, if you're used to one thing, even a subtle change can seem huge.

I'm a fan of thicker necks, but I got my 14-YO son a Jackson DKMG last year, and even though it's got what I regard as a really thin neck (my guess would be its akin to a Wizard II), it actually feels really good to play. It feels wider than most necks (though I think it has the same nut width as a modern Fender or Gibson, at about 1.69"), and of course the board is really flat.

• Members

Yeah, if you're used to one thing, even a subtle change can seem huge.

I'm a fan of thicker necks, but I got my 14-YO son a Jackson DKMG last year, and even though it's got what I regard as a really thin neck (my guess would be its akin to a Wizard II), it actually feels really good to play. It feels wider than most necks (though I think it has the same nut width as a modern Fender or Gibson, at about 1.69"), and of course the board is really flat.

I have a prestige Wizard II and compared to the Wizard I and the Super Wizard, it is thick(er). I'm going back tomorrow to pick up some cables for my pedals so I'm going to play it again. I'll put up a better review of the neck then.

I suppose it could always be sanded down and refinished, right?

• Members

I have a prestige Wizard II and compared to the Wizard I and the Super Wizard, it is thick(er). I'm going back tomorrow to pick up some cables for my pedals so I'm going to play it again. I'll put up a better review of the neck then.

I suppose it could always be sanded down and refinished, right?

Yeah, there are players that do that. I've seen a few LP's where guys did that, and didn't ever bother to refinish them apart from putting on a clear coat to protect the wood. I remember reading an interview a long time ago (like two decades!) where Peter Frampton talked about he came upon his original 3-pup black LP, and I remember he said the guy that gave it to had shaved the neck. I recently saw an interview with Slash where he said he preferred LP's with "shaved" necks, though he may have just meant he likes thinner necks.

• Members

Yeah, there are players that do that. I've seen a few LP's where guys did that, and didn't ever bother to refinish them apart from putting on a clear coat to protect the wood. I remember reading an interview a long time ago (like two decades!) where Peter Frampton talked about he came upon his original 3-pup black LP, and I remember he said the guy that gave it to had shaved the neck. I recently saw an interview with Slash where he said he preferred LP's with "shaved" necks, though he may have just meant he likes thinner necks.

Cool.

I'll definitely repost a better review of the neck. Ibanez are solid guitars made by a solid company.

Archived