Tell me all you know about Peavey Predators

Bubbluz

• Members

I do not know what year mine is. It was artic white when it was made. Thanks to being left on the stand by a window, she has turned that wonderful vintage cream colr. My favorite playing guitar to be quite honest. A bridge change, and p/u upgrade would not be a bad thing. But she is alright just like she is. I amde the mistake of letting my 14 yr. old son have it in his bedroom for a while. I went in to get it, needless to say it was on it's way to being relic'ed. But I really like mine. U.S.A. made, used for $199.00. I took it to a die hard Fender amn i knew to get a wiring problem worked out. Went back and he said, " Hey, that is one fine playing geetar, you ever want to sell it talk to me.". I walked out grinning.

• Members

If you need a cheap strat clone, they are among the best. Buy it.

If you're just GASsing, don't worry about passing it by. They are very easy to find and always pretty cheap. If you decide, a year from now, that you want one after all, you'll probably be able to find one.

• Members

I'm not really gassing,it's just very local,like "I can walk there in ten minutes" local.

I was actually thinking about it for my G-kid

What is the going rate ? This one is listed at $250CAN

What's $250 Canadian in real money?

(I keed, I keed!)

triumphgy7.png

Okay, seriously... I see them all the time for US $100 - $150, and have occasionally scored a beat-up and abused one to fix up for as little as $50.

Is it worth CA $250? In terms of quality vs. other strats, I'd say for sure, yes. All things being equal, I'd personally take a Predator over a MIM Fender.

Can you get them for a lot cheaper? If you lie in the weeds long enough and watch Craigslist, probably, yeah.

• Members

Great neck, it's like a fat C.

Crappy frets. Even after 2-3 years, they were getting flat spots

Crappy tuners. But they still work.

Alder/Poplar bodies, made in USA, routed SSH (my two were anyway)

Import spaced 4-screw vintage trem with crappy saddles

Very hot single coil pickups.

Crappy switch and electronics.

In spite of all that, I loved my two.

Oh, and they have a unique smell. I'm not joking. My first electric was a predator and it's been cannibalized to where the only thing left is the jack and neck plates, and I bought another one 2 years ago, and it smelled EXACTLY THE SAME as my first one. Very strange/cool.

• Members

Mine was an early 90s.

The neck was a little thin for my taste. Pretty flat fingerboard radius. I didn't notice the frets being crappy, but I didn't play it much. The tuners were attrocious, and one of them was broken when I bought mine, so I threw on a set of no name sealed tuners I had in my parts bin and they worked fine. The guitar sounded good. I didn't have a bar for the trem, so I don't know how good it was. Mine was routed for a humbucker in the neck and a swimming pool in the middle and bridge.

I bought it for $75, stripped and refinished it, then sold it for $100.

• Members

90's. Neck on mine is a bit thin, but not so much that it messes with me. Tuners could be upgraded but aren't terrible on mine, I've never bothered to change them. Specs are same as '90's MIM (poplar body, ceramics) but with a 22nd fret and medium rather than "vintage" fretwire.

I paid a Benjamin for mine.

• Members

My first guitar was a Predator that my brother had mangled in High School. Decent instrument, but the MIM strat I replaced it with was a big step up. I don't know if this was a function of how much my brother mangled the Predator, the care I went into selecting the strat with (I tried many many used instruments before I bought it), or if the MIMs are just better, though.

• Members

If you can get one for about $100 than maybe go for it. When you start getting in the $200+ range, I'd look more for a (2006-present) MIM Strat, Squier Classic Vibes or maybe a Xaviere, but I have no experience with those.

USA made or not, the hardware overall on the above guitars is better & they're newer so less likely to have a lot of wear & tear.

• Members

Crappy frets. Even after 2-3 years, they were getting flat spots

Crappy tuners. But they still work.

Alder/Poplar bodies, made in USA, routed SSH (my two were anyway)

Import spaced 4-screw vintage trem with crappy saddles

Very hot single coil pickups.

Crappy switch and electronics.

In spite of all that, I loved my two.

Oh, and they have a unique smell. I'm not joking. My first electric was a predator and it's been cannibalized to where the only thing left is the jack and neck plates, and I bought another one 2 years ago, and it smelled EXACTLY THE SAME as my first one. Very strange/cool.

the smell! kind a vanilla-wood-ish kind of thing? haha i never thought much of it, but you're dead on. i played a peavey bass in a jazz band in jr. high that had the smell, and my wolfgang had it, too!

it's not bad at all, just kind of the peavey smell. eau-de-peavey.

• Members

the smell! kind a vanilla-wood-ish kind of thing? haha i never thought much of it, but you're dead on. i played a peavey bass in a jazz band in jr. high that had the smell, and my wolfgang had it, too!

it's not bad at all, just kind of the peavey smell. eau-de-peavey.

I know, right! Maybe they're some kind of lacquer, probably not nitro, but another lacquer like acrylic, perhaps.

Funny thing is, my second one smelled of smoke terribly, so I wiped it down with febreeze and some kind of household cleaner, and after a couple of days, it had the eau-de-peavey back! That's when it blew me away.

And you nailed the smell. It's wood mixed with vanilla, with just a slight hint of . . . . manly.

• Members

I know, right! Maybe they're some kind of lacquer, probably not nitro, but another lacquer like acrylic, perhaps.

Funny thing is, my second one smelled of smoke terribly, so I wiped it down with febreeze and some kind of household cleaner, and after a couple of days, it had the eau-de-peavey back! That's when it blew me away.

And you nailed the smell. It's wood mixed with vanilla, with just a slight hint of . . . . manly.

:lol:

that's awesome. haha they are consistent!

• Members

The neck profile mush have changed quite a bit from year to year (as well as the pickup routing). Mine had a very thin V neck. It wasn't Ibanez Wizzard thin, but it wasn't much thicker.

• Members

LOVE mine! :love: It's korean make, mid 90's, locking tuners. Got it off the 'bay, shipped for $70! :thu: I will echo that the electronics aren't great, but they get the job done ... The neck p/u is nice and creamy sounding, and when you hit a note just right you can feel it in the way the body sings. Obviously it's not on par with my Jackson, but its versitale, easy to carry around and if it gets a little (more) dinged up, I don't mind ...

No data on the smell, but I'm having terrible allergies at the moment so I'll check that later :p

Not bad for under a bill :thu:

Archived