just taught my first guitar lesson last night

chrisebrooks06

• Members

........ and it felt great

2 doors down a new family moved in and heard me practicing.

around 3pm their teenage son and daughter knocked on the door and asked if i could help out, bascially they have one guitar between them, but it didnt hold them back.

They were really keen and until yesterday hadnt really played before, but i taught them a simple riff to play and apparantly they havent put the guitar down since, which is fantastic. No money changed hands, no way, i love to help people out

Now, im no teacher, but i learned a lot myself and its good to help sometimes, hopefully they will continue to play as much as im willing to help them :thu:

happy easter everyone

• Members

It's also very nice when you are a beginner that someone takes time out to show you a few things. Guitar is hard enough without trying to figure it all out on your own. I still struggle with basic chords and need to get some lessons on changing them around to make proper songs.

It's a good thing you are doing Chris, you are being extremely generous.

John:)

• Members

It's also very nice when you are a beginner that someone takes time out to show you a few things. Guitar is hard enough without trying to figure it all out on your own. I still struggle with basic chords and need to get some lessons on changing them around to make proper songs.

did you get my pm mate?

chris

• Members

your be fine mate, we all struggled with those first chords at one point ;)

• Members

That's awesome of you. I go to lessons right now, but they're $20 a lesson, 4 times a month. The guy, Mike, he's really great and all, but the stuff we do is so easy! I think I'm just being impatient because we're learning simple scales and stuff, but everyone says it's an important part of guitar so I'm not giving up on them.

Word of advice, let him show off every once in a while. Just ask him, "Have anything new you'd like to show me?" because if he is really inspired to play he'll be at home learning new stuff and want to come to lessons and show them off to you. I'm like this, but sometimes I don't get to and it'd really make my day if I could show him and chances are it's the same for this kid. Just sayin'! :)

• Members
That's awesome of you. I go to lessons right now, but they're $20 a lesson, 4 times a month. The guy, Mike, he's really great and all, but the stuff we do is so easy! I think I'm just being impatient because we're learning simple scales and stuff, but everyone says it's an important part of guitar so I'm not giving up on them.

Word of advice, let him show off every once in a while. Just ask him, "Have anything new you'd like to show me?" because if he is really inspired to play he'll be at home learning new stuff and want to come to lessons and show them off to you. I'm like this, but sometimes I don't get to and it'd really make my day if I could show him and chances are it's the same for this kid. Just sayin'!
:)

sweet advice mate thanks

chris

• Members

Teaching has many rewards. I have met some great people. Since I teach at the student's home I end up being part of the family! Even the cats and dogs are happy to see me every week.

And stick with it even if you have some frustrating students. You can't make them practice.

• Members

thats awesome, i tried to teach my roommate, even got him a gretsch americana when they were being blown out. he tried it for one day and never picked it up again, oh well, at least i get the guitar...

i would totally teach anyone willing to learn for free if they were serious.

• Members

Awesome stuff mate.

The main reason I kept going with the guitar was an inspiring teacher. Most guitar teachers where I came from were older men that would stick to playing classical and jazzy tunes, and while thats quite cool in some ways, its rarely inspiring for a 14 year old kid. Instead I had a 25 year old fella', he played in a signed metal band. I'd never listened to metal, no idea what it was.

He started me off with the standard stuff. Open chords, rythm, the basics that are needed. We tried the classical stuff for a bit, mainly cause the music school wanted him to, but when he saw it wasnt catching my attention, he started pulling out AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath. Opened my eyes to classic and heavy rock. Suddenly the stuff coming from my guitar sounded cool on its own, and it inspired me to learn more on my own.

After 5 years he couldnt teach me anymore, which was a shame. We'd become good friends, and to this day I still believe I owe it all to him.

I later went on to teach as well, and its really a giving experience. Reminds you how hard it was in the beginning, and makes you appreciate just how far you've come, even if you think you suck.

Bottom line, get to know your students, find out what inspires them and help them. You may even discover new music yourself.

Archived