I thought I had a great internal sense of tempo, JamMan says I actually suck

GAS Man

• Members

Now I'm a home hobbyist so I lack the usual audience to tell me I suck, but while knowing I'm certainly no pro, I thought I at least had an excellent internal sense of rhythm tempo.

So I was playing around with my Digitech JamMan last week making a couple pretty long loops.

In both case I discovered that when the loop came back around to the beginning, the tempo was slower at the beginning of the loop. Pretty dang noticeable when it starts back over at point A.

So I apparently have a nature to speed up as I play along.

So there goes one of my few self accolades, and I'm now sentenced to metronome purgatory. :facepalm:

• Members
Isn't that what we have drummers for?

:idk:

If you can't keep up with a metronome in practice, you won't be any better with a drummer.

Metronome for the win.
Eats less, shuts up when not playing.
Doesn't try to steal your wife/gf.

• Members
If you can't keep up with a metronome in practice, you won't be any better with a drummer.

Metronome for the win.

Eats less, shuts up when not playing.

Doesn't try to steal your wife/gf.

And doesn't come to rehearsal late or play over the whole band. :thu:

• Members

the drummer in my band usually brings his electric drums to practice for convenience and he has a plethora of click tracks. the one we like the best is the Asian lady screams at you in time while you play. really funny. but also extremely challenging.

• Members

I think that players who started out playing acoustic guitars doing Neil Young and Jackson Browne covers learn rhythm. I did it for 20 years, 4 nights a week, 4 hours a night. The audience will forgive a flat note or a missed chord, but they have no patience for players who can't keep a rock steady rhythm.

Take your lessons from Neil Young. He's spent so much time on his D45 in front of audiences all over the world. His songs are simple on the surface, but when you dig down to what he's doing, there are a lot of complex rhythmic nuances happening. Oh, and your first lesson should be to play the broom along with "Harvest Moon." If you can do that, you're half way home.

Archived