I have turned avatars off!

Ancient Mariner

• Members

I know but my sexual orientation has nothing to do with this post.

I'd post the same thing if I was straight.

No, you wouldn't. At the very least you would've phrased it very differently (you wouldn't say "what if I", it would've been "what if somone", or "what if a female member")

You need to understand two things about the heterosexual male mind.

1) Many of them are capable of playing that kind of devil's advocate, but will take HUGE measures to distance themselves from any perceived homosexuality.

2) If there were more than, oh, I'd say 5 avatars featuring scantily-clad muscular men on here, all the straight men would have avatars turned off.

If you were straight, you'd know the unequivocal answer to your question would be YES.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, you wouldn't. At the very least you would've phrased it very differently (you wouldn't say "what if
I
", it would've been "what if somone", or "what if a female member")

You need to understand two things about the heterosexual male mind.

1) Many of them are capable of playing that kind of devil's advocate, but will take HUGE measures to distance themselves from any perceived homosexuality.

2) If there were more than, oh, I'd say 5 avatars featuring scantily-clad muscular men on here, all the straight men would have avatars turned off.

If you were straight, you'd know the unequivocal answer to your question would be YES.

No, these are macho heteros who are too worried about their masculinity.

I see many things I dont like, as avatars or not, but I dont turn it off.

• Members

Some political avatars (not restricted to this forum) smack of hatred, and that is far more offensive to me than those showing beautiful women.

I'm starting to avoid threads with lots of YouTube embeds. I read at 50 posts per page, and threads with a ton of YouTube embeds really put a strain on whatever browser I'm running at the time (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome). I need to figure out how to shift the embeds into simple links, so I can launch them on demand in a new tab.

Run Firefox with Flashblock. Lets you choose which videos to play or not play rather than immediately loading them.

• Members

Well, I wont put a pic of an ugly man now would I?

In what context?

In the context of making jokes that make the OP seem like an attention whore or putting erotic avatars of men, like the ones of females here?

The neverending innuendos of gay or gay sex. It is annoying and what you do in your own bedroom is your business, keep it that way. Some of us prefer not to hear about the adventures of Adam and Steve in the Garden of Eden.

• Members

I know the 'No nippleage' and 'no fur' rule has been mostly obeyed, but I can't cope with the jizz-mag shots, even though the specified body parts aren't on show. So avatars are off for me now - back to learning who people are from their names.

dude, I turned off avatars YEARS ago. most avs are pretty pathetic---"look at me, I post about strats and I have a picture of a sexy lady!"

• Members

The neverending innuendos of gay or gay sex. It is annoying and what you do in your own bedroom is your business, keep it that way. Some of us prefer not to hear about the adventures of Adam and Steve in the Garden of Eden.

"Adam and Steve"?

Did you take it from Philadelphia?

And for god's sake my OP was about pissing people off and finding out their reaction, not about my own sexual orientation.

Also, I am thinking about turning off avy's my self, how do you do so?

• Members

What about this?

• Members

IMHO pictures of half naked women are not going to have a detrimental effect on children: nudity is a fact of life.

Goatse is also a fact of life. I'm grown & sure as {censored} wish I'd never seen it.

It cannot be unseen.

• Members

Far be it for me to bitch about anyone's avatar (ahem......see mine) but I will weigh in on the half naked chick thing........there are very few females who post here regularly, and I can see why. If the gals took over the forum and started posting beefcake pics, the boys would revolt and drop like flies.

That's my 2 cents (and it's worth about a tenth of that)

• Members

Far be it for me to bitch about anyone's avatar (ahem......see mine) but I will weigh in on the half naked chick thing........there are very few females who post here regularly, and I can see why. If the gals took over the forum and started posting
beefcake
pics, the boys would revolt and drop like flies.

That's my 2 cents (and it's worth about a tenth of that)

cartmanbeefcake1.JPG

• Members

In Ferdinand's defence the HC forums are filled with heterosexual innuendos so what's the problem?

They're also filled with homosexual innuendos in equal measure as I've noticed. From straight & gay alike. Why come to someone's defence when they aren't under attack?

Are you Nancy Grace?

• Members

IMHO pictures of half naked women are not going to have a detrimental effect on children: nudity is a fact of life.

Afraid not. A-holes are also a fact of life, but that doesn't mean I want to/its beneficial to look at them while posting.

The images we allow to come into our brain effect our behavior. That's why the ancient wisdom of the Bible says "think about whatever things are lovely, good, honorable and praiseworthy." because "as a person thinks, so are they."

Not saying that to preach, but pointing out that as a concerned parent it does matter what my children see because it effects their behavior and who they become. Nudy-girl-pics are about sexuality, not anatomy.

As for myself, since I want to stay married to the same wonderful woman the rest of my life... I need to fill my head with things which will lead to that outcome. I want to practice honoring women and seeing them as people instead of objects.

• Members

They're also filled with homosexual innuendos in equal measure as I've noticed. From straight & gay alike. Why come to someone's defence when they aren't under attack?

Are you Nancy Grace?

Hey.....my monkey is not about any innuendo. (he's just flamboyant and proud)

• Members

Afraid not. A-holes are also a fact of life, but that doesn't mean I want to/its beneficial to look at them while posting.

The images we allow to come into our brain effect our behavior. That's why the ancient wisdom of the Bible says "think about whatever things are lovely, good, honorable and praiseworthy." because "as a person thinks, so are they."

Not saying that to preach, but pointing out that as a concerned parent it does matter what my children see because it effects their behavior and who they become. Nudy-girl-pics are about sexuality, not anatomy.

As for myself, since I want to stay married to the same wonderful woman the rest of my life... I need to fill my head with things which will lead to that outcome. I want to practice honoring women and seeing them as people instead of objects.

If that's the case whatever you do don't go to Paris, unless you're prepared to blindfold your children when you walk past a newsagents. At young ages, young children have no sexual drive so how does something that is stimulating only once a certain hormonal level has been reached affect them. Or am I misinterpreting your posts and are you more concerned about your kids considering women to be objects?

EDIT: I missed the line abut women as objects, and that I agree with, I misinterpreted the reasons behind earlier posts and thought they were more concerned about the images having some form of traumatising effect upon children, however the comment about Paris still stands

Archived