RIP - Lynyrd Skynyrd's Billy Powell

• Members

Aaaahh, no, that guy was one in a million....

Seriously.

And how deceptively simple is his stuff? You always hear pianists say, "I can do that," but then it's just not... quite... right. You can hit the notes, but Billy had the feel. And piano isn't always a "feel" instrument in rock. But he made it that way.

• Members

Now, as anyone who has heard my music knows, I don't play a darn thing like the guy or make music even remotely similar. But no matter, he was a big inspiration for me growing up, and was added so much to the Lynyrd Skynyrd sound. And really, it was such beautiful, beautiful playing. I hope that he's tickling the ivories in the big concert hall in the sky and making everyone's head nod in amazement at the intense talent he has. Thank you, Billy Powell, maximum respect, and RIP.

• Members

Everybody who played in Skynyrd's glory days had taste and style.

Think about how many bands you see where there's two guitarists or a guitarist and keyboardist fighting to be heard.

Skynyrd had three guitarists and a keyboardist and it never sounded like anybody was out of place. They really were great at choosing their parts.

• Members

People have been trying to get me to play like Powell for years!

This is really sad. I've been trying to find transcriptions of his playing for a long time without any luck.

He was younger than I would have expected, a major loss.

• Members

One of my good friends (guitarist) who is older than me went to Florida Junior College (now known as FCCJ) with Billy in the early 70s. They were going to start a band...I believe it was going to lean towards the progressive side. One day, Billy came to school and told my friend he couldn't be in his band because he had just joined Lynyrd Skynyrd.

My friend related to me that Billy was not just a great Rock/Blues player, he could rip into Chopin and other Classical music pieces like it was nothing. He was easily the best musician in Skynyrd.

• Members

Man oh man!

I was playing my stratocaster last night tryin' to work the kinks out of my mangled and crippled frethand forefanger and not even thinkin about skynyrd and launched into SMELL THAT SMELL. I had'nt played any of the skinny boys jams in years.

LS is one of my all time fave bands. the olde skynyrd, NOT the new band.

thanks for lettin me share.

TD

• Members

Yeah, thats bummer , My friend Frank, who is a great guitar player ..he's 35 & has been playing all the classics , for 18 so years

Anyway he's back in Tenn. right now ..His Dad Produced Lynard Skynard ..way back, Frank had 1 of there gold records hanging in his wall framed , his dad gave him when we were younger .

Thats a complete bummer , last time I seen them play , on TV He was looking kind of bad & over weight..

RIP.....thats just sad ..Makes me want to pop in the video I have , My friends girlfriends 1st concert..Okland Ca. colisium...late 70's ,,she always talks about it & the video that they rent ,. or used to , of them in Blockbusters , had some of that footage of the Oakland Concert ...

I've got it taped ..its cool....man they jammed hard ! Kevin

Archived