Do you collect anything?

Rabid

• Members

Orvis Fly Fishing gear from the 30's and 40'S... most of fishing gear is at my familys cabin in Vermont, near the Orvis company.

My grandfather was once a jr. partner in a family owned ,New York based Steamship Co, got kicked out though during the Depression (utter lack of Business Acumen) said the legal papers...anyway ,I collect the old baggage stickers, crockery, milk pitchers, posters, flatware, matchpacks, etc from the Line, It's nice to collect stuff with your name on it.

Lately I've been collecting old wooden storage boxes with lids, the ones you usually see in the Ranch Bunkhouses in old westerns, the ones the cowpokes keep their worldly possessions in...They were made of some nice old lumber, with good sturdy hardware in Box factories in the South during the twenties, you can get them cheap or curbside, They are good to keep your other stuff in that you collect.

My wife collects Parfum and scent bottles, the ones with Sterling Silver filigree covering them, they range from Late Victorian, Art Nouveau ,and Art Deco periods. She's got a discerning eye, and has never paid more than 40 bucks for one, even though some are worth in the hundreds. She's a collector , I'm a junkman.

• Members

Embarrassing memories

Debts

Fantasies

Disappointments

Missed opportunities

Actually, I don't really collect anything. I'm a firm believer in having as few possessions as I really need. Although that's not really my reality. I wish I had fewer things than I do, but there's always the "but maybe I'll need that some day!" thought present.

If anything, perhaps books and movies/tv shows on DVD. But I don't collect just to have as many as possible, I only acquire what I like. Like with DVDs, I have the complete series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because I love the show. But I'm not going to go out and get everything else that the actors and writers and producers have been involved in just because they were involved in it - that's how I see "collecting".

• Members
Age spots on the back of my hand.

No, I collect perfumery. True-as-God. Laugh if you must, but I actually know a fair decent something about the craft and history, technique, etc.

That Perfume movie was one of the most singularly creepy films and stories I have ever seen...Great movie, but yikes..

• Members

Age spots on the back of my hand.

No, I collect perfumery.
True-as-God
. Laugh if you must, but I actually know a fair decent something about the craft and history, technique, etc.

That Perfume movie was one of the most singularly creepy films and stories I have ever seen...Great movie, but yikes..

I found it very creepy, too.

Some aspects of perfumery are indeed creepy.... like where ambergris (whale throw-up), civet (mongoose butthole), musk (deer balls), hircinium (goat hair) and castoreum (beaver butthole) come from. :eek: Things that stink to high heaven in concentration actually smell heavenly when highly diluted in an alcohol tincture. It must be borne in mind that European perfumery began when the wealthy classes wanted leather for gloves, shoes and coats... Their leather tanners started evolving methods for disguising the stink of death that clung to the sheets of leather.

There are some extremely expensive European perfumes out there, available to you now, which smell like a woman's hoo-hah (Rochas FEMME), underarm sweat (McQueen's KINGDOM) men's twig 'n' berries (Serge Lutens MUSCS KOUBLAI-KHAN), cat's piss (Guerlain PAMPLELUNE), horse{censored} (Chanel CUIR DE RUSSIE), a freshly-embalmed corpse (Etat Libre D'Orange's CHAROGNE), spooge (Etat Libre D'Orange SECRETIONS MAGNIFIQUES) and cat-{censored} (Ava-Luxe KAMA). :thu:

So creepiness is part 'n' parcel of the best perfumery. In fact, the cheaper the perfume, the LESS is the chance that they contain these precious animalics.

But all that stuff Dustin Hoffmann counsels Grenouille in the movie... about how there are generally 12 structural notes in a great perfume (Head, Heart, Base).... and then a 13th special note which "magically" unites and sets off the other 12... Well, that is exactly true. Except usually the 13th note is not "Dead Girl".

• Members

Dust.

Nah...when I was a kid I collected baseball cards and (believe it or not) license plates. Of course, this was in the days when states changed their plates every year. I had a decent collection of both. But, I grew up, moved out, and my mom had a garage sale.

I'd like to collect old signs, like, say, old soda pop signs (the more obscure the better), and other advertising signs like gas station signs, the Sunbeam Bread girl...stuff like that.

• Members

Books, mostly rare or older books on religions and worldviews. Studying cults and extremist groups was once a very serious hobby of mine. I have books on about every major religion and many ancient Near Eastern texts, some in the original Hebrew, Arabic, Greek and even Egyptian hieroglyphics. One room in my house is a library with wall-to-wall books.

:)

Archived