Help me achieve great tone!

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I'm useless when it comes to getting the sound I want even though I have fairly decent gear.

I want a big fat dirty stoner/sludge sort of sound from my set up, which currently consists basically of just of my Godin LG Standard and Orange Rocker 30, as pictured here:

DSC00281.jpg

What would you do? What pedals should I be looking at? Would you recommend an additional 1X12 cab?

• Members

First, I don't think you need an additional 12" cab to achieve the sound you want. I'd think with an Orange amp you'd be able to conjure up a pretty good Brit-style rock tone all by itself, no pedals needed. It just requires a bit of playing and tweaking.

But it sounds as if you've done that. I'd say what people here would need to help would be some examples of what you are trying to achieve.

• Members

First, I don't think you
need
an additional 12" cab to achieve the sound you want. I'd think with an Orange amp you'd be able to conjure up a pretty good Brit-style rock tone all by itself, no pedals needed. It just requires a bit of playing and tweaking.

But it sounds as if you've done that. I'd say what people here would need to help would be some examples of what you are trying to achieve.

Well my favourite guitar tones are from the likes of Sabbath, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Fu Manchu. That's the sort of stuff I play, I guess I lean slightly to the fuzzier side of things. Not a lot of solos, mostly rhythm stuff and riffs

• Members

You know because Pi is the mathematical constant used to calculate circular dimension? Circles are round? You know, a ``rounder`` tone...Punny because it`s a play on words, uh, you know, like a pun...Uh, I guess I`m just easily amused...nevermind.

This may be funny but its not very rational...Saying the Pi is better because it has the usefull tone wicker is less irrational.

• Members

This may be funny but its not very rational...Saying the Pi is better because it has the usefull tone wicker is less irrational.

I thought the Pi was highly irrational (and a transcendental experience as well)! :poke:

• Members

either a Swollen Pickle or a Big Muff would be great, as suggested...

i'd suggest also adding a 412 cab to the setup, seriously... what you need is a cab that sounds huge and pushes alot of air...

if you want to keep things portable and live in the US, i recommend getting an Earcandy 2x12 cabinet.

but an Orange 412 would be totally perfect.

what tunings/string gauges are you using?

Archived