Help me achieve great tone!

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I had a Big Muff before and used it with my old amp (a peavey valveking) but I just couldn't seem to get a good sound out of it. Reckon one would do better with my orange?

BC, why do you suggest the pi?

The tonewicker model's circuit is the same as the NYC model with the tone on and the wicker off. So, you are getting two additional tone options over the NYC, and it comes in a smaller housing.

There's a great demo over at ProGuitarShop.com that shows the differences.

• Members

I'm not a fuzz guy... not at all really. 90% of the time, I play a strat on the neck pickup through a Fender amp about 90% clean.

But... my garage rig lately has been an older Epi LP into a Russian Big Muff into a Crate V3112 on the dirty channel with medium gain and the Big Muff set to right when it starts getting loud... about 11 oclock. I feel like Neil Schon. Tons of fuzz, tons of gain, tons of sustain and controllable feedback.

It's really not me, but I like pretending I'm stuck in the 80s. It's probably the same feeling air guitarists get, but I actually play a guitar.

:idea:

• Members

How many people on this forum do you think wouldn`t get it if it was explained to them?

For the most part the description of the first term is rather easy:

"irrational" is a number that cannot be expressed as an exact ratio of two integers (or, for the mathematically challenged, as the division of two integers).

This one may be difficult unless you are not so mathematically challenged:

"transcendental" means that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value. In other words, it requires an infinite polynomial series to attain its infinite decimal places (impossible).

Back to tone. :)

• Members

I'm useless when it comes to getting the sound I want even though I have fairly decent gear.

I want a big fat dirty stoner/sludge sort of sound from my set up, which currently consists basically of just of my Godin LG Standard and Orange Rocker 30, as pictured here:

DSC00281.jpg

What would you do? What pedals should I be looking at? Would you recommend an additional 1X12 cab?

Crank that orange ALL THE WAY, with a good amount of bass and mids. Attenuator is your choice.

Sound will fatten up with tons of fuzz and you'll get what you want.:thu:

• Members

either a Swollen Pickle or a Big Muff would be great, as suggested...

i'd suggest also adding a 412 cab to the setup, seriously... what you need is a cab that sounds huge and pushes alot of air...

if you want to keep things portable and live in the US, i recommend getting an Earcandy 2x12 cabinet.

but an Orange 412 would be totally perfect.

what tunings/string gauges are you using?

I'm one whole step down with 11s. The guitar sounds great but yeah I definitely want something bigger sounding. A cab could be a good call but I'm certainly gonna try out some of these delicious sounding pedals first!

• Members

What are the pick ups on your guitar?

Some pick ups are too midrangy to achieve some heavier/darker tone.

I'm not saying the pick ups in your goding aren't good, just saying they may not be suited to the tone your aiming for.

Mid rangy pick ups are great for rock/hard rock, but no so great for heavier darker tone.

• Members

Well my favourite guitar tones are from the likes of Sabbath, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Fu Manchu. That's the sort of stuff I play, I guess I lean slightly to the fuzzier side of things. Not a lot of solos, mostly rhythm stuff and riffs

Get thee to an Ampeg VT-22 and Dimarzio Super II's.

Also maybe try the blue Fulltone Mosfet OD pedal...

Edit: The Fu Manchu guy uses an old variation on a ripped off no-name Fuzz circuit, but I can't remember which one... I had one and it was awesome.

• Members

For the most part the description of the first term is rather easy:

"irrational" is a number that cannot be expressed as an exact ratio of two integers (or, for the mathematically challenged, as the division of two integers).

This one may be difficult unless you are not so mathematically challenged:

"transcendental" means that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value. In other words, it requires an infinite polynomial series to attain its infinite decimal places (impossible).

Back to tone.
:)

You`re definition of ``irrational`` is still too complicated for the layman. Not that you`re wrong, but if we are trying to bring this down to the kitchen table, the easiest way to say it is that it is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction.

• Members

What are the pick ups on your guitar?

Some pick ups are too midrangy to achieve some heavier/darker tone.

I'm not saying the pick ups in your goding aren't good, just saying they may not be suited to the tone your aiming for.

Mid rangy pick ups are great for rock/hard rock, but no so great for heavier darker tone.

I think I'm going to second this post.

Maybe it was the Valve King but there shouldn't be any way that if you threw a Muff or Muff clone in front that you didn't hit what you wanted other wise.

• Members

By the way & off topic, how do you like that orange rocker?

I tried it once and quite liked it - loads of people bash it cos of the lack of EQ on clean channel, but the clean channel was what impressed me most about this amp.
:thu:

The clean channel sounds great, especially with my strat. I have an EQ pedal anyway so the lack of controls on the amp doesn't bother me that much. Also, I find its really responsive to tweaking the volume and tone on the guitar

30W is ideal for me as well. The 100W valveking was far too heavy and wayyy too loud, I could never turn it up past 3/10 for gigs. The orange is hefty still but very portable and you can crank it. The dirty channel has great crunch but I need pedals to get the heavier sound I'm after most of the time

• Members

You`re definition of ``irrational`` is still too complicated for the layman. Not that you`re wrong, but if we are trying to bring this down to the kitchen table, the easiest way to say it is that it is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction.

Back to 2nd grade. ;)

Pi cannot be expressed as a fraction and it has an infinite number of decimal places that don't repeat.

That is about as succinct as it gets ('that don't repeat' is required since there are fractions whose decimal equivent are infinite but repetitive such as 1/3 = 0.333...).

For me, math and music go hand in hand. One lives off of the other as can be attested by any deep book on music theory. :blah:

Archived