Gibson SG Standard: Why the large pickguard?

New Trail

• Members

I'll bet most everyone likes the look of the smaller pickguard on SG models. Why does Gibson keep putting the large pickguard on their current Standard but use the smaller pickguard on the '62 reissue (which is really not a reissue, but that's another thread)? I guess it might be a little cheaper to produce, but I wouldn't think very much. My point? I really want an SG Standard, and I don't really want the 'reissue' but I don't like the big pickguard.

They prol' do it for....marketing, cost.... among other reasons

• Members

i had an SG standard, i liked the pickguard, i hated the neck, it is way to thick. The the '61 reissue is much thinner. So if you like thick necks go for the standard, also standards have much hotter pickups, they are hotter than the pickups on most Jacksons.

• Members

I'll bet most everyone likes the look of the smaller pickguard on SG models.
Why does Gibson keep putting the large pickguard on their current Standard but use the smaller pickguard on the '62 reissue (which is really not a reissue, but that's another thread)? I guess it might be a little cheaper to produce, but I wouldn't think very much. My point? I really want an SG Standard, and I don't really want the 'reissue' but I don't like the big pickguard.

why make sweeping generalizations?

for the record, I think the bigger pickguard looks better.

• Members

That big pickguard is just Gibson's shortcut manufacturing process, plain and simple. Under that pickguard it doesn't look all that different than a Strat. For my money one of the main appeals of Gibson is they go the extra yard and do it right. Well, not so much on that axe. :(

They're nice guitars but I prefer the little pickguard.

• Members

I much prefer the small pickguard on SG's.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me about the big pickguard is that the top of the humbuckers are not parallel to the strings. That just makes it seem like the design was half-assed.

• Members

I like the small guard because I prefer humbuckers moun ted by mounting rings rather than sunk into holes in the pickguard. Somehow it seems that the pickups have a more solid connection to the guitar than if they are attached to this big sheet of plastic that is screwed onto the face of the guitar with screws that are inches away from the pickup.

Then again, I like Strats as is. So I guess if mahogany or korina is in the equation, I like as direct a connection to the wood as possible.

That's my opinion anyway.

This has always been my thinking......i like the looks of the pups mounted in pup rings....and it seems like it must be better mechanically.....

I am surprised so many more folks are liking the large guard....

• Members

I like any SG no matter the guard. Mine has none at all. The Diablos are incredibly hot with no guard. I saw an SG once with a Les Paul shaped guard on it. That was cool too. It was mounted direct, like a regular SG guard, not with brackets.

SGs are just freaking cool however they are set up.

EG

Question: Can you pull the guard off an SG with the big guard on it? How are the pups mounted?

• Members

Question: Can you pull the guard off an SG with the big guard on it? How are the pups mounted?

HPIM6413.jpg

This is what my faded looked like before adding the middle pup. I am assuming it is similar to other large guard SG's

Pups are mounted by 2 screws to the guard only

Archived