Allergy to guitar necks?

FUBTAG

• Members

Hey guys,

Over the past year or so,my left hand has broken out in a what I can only describe as an allergic reaction. A day or two after I play, I will find my palm had broken out in blisters/pimples under and around my pointer finge and in the webbing between the thumb and pointer. It occurs right where the neck rests in my palm. It is actually pretty painful and keeps me from playing more often. I have a gig tonight, which means that by Saturday I will be in more pain then I am now.

Has anyone experienced anything like that? I used to think it was whatever they finished the Rondo necks with, but it happens with my MIA Strat and the Rick Turner Renaissance electric acoustic.

And just to clarify, I use my right hand for the 'other stuff' :rolleyes:

• Members

Could be a metal allergy. I believe nickel is a common allergy, and is present in many strings. If that's what it is, it doesn't surprise me that it isn't affecting your finger tips. They have layers of protective dead skin. Your palms on the other hand are more susceptible to such things. Anyway, see a doctor.

Good luck.

• Members

There is a product you can buy to protect your skin when working with your hands. It may be a temporary help for your gig this Saturday. I would just put it on your palm. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it but you should be able to find it online with a bit of research. I would recommend strongly the advice of the others to go see the doctor.

• Members

I like what MrBrown said about the Nickle but thinking about it you only mention 1 hand (your left). I would think if it was metal from strings or fretts then your right would be effected also as it is muting strings. Is it only on 1 or all of your guitars this happens (assuming you have more then one). Do they have different necks? Doctor would be your best bet because you may end up armless from all the advice on here :) Hope you can find what is causing the reaction and correct it.

• Members
What type of neck/fretboard wood are your guitars made of?

What brand/type strings do you use?

Has this always happened or did it just start happening?

Good questions. There can be many reasons. The fact that this is happening on your palm tells me to suspect the neck finish, wood or maybe bacterial buildup of some type. You may need to consider switching to a graphite neck or having the neck refinished and refretted with stainless steel rather than nickel silver frets.

• Members

I play mostly maple necks. My main guitar for the past 15 years was a MIM Strat that I had sanded down for the feel. Once I started buying more guitars this started happening.....

My doctor is aware of it. Blood test (awaiting results) taken so we'll see.

and .. I wasn't looknig for medical advice .. I have been here long enough to know what I'd get! ;) Just wondering if anyone else suffers as I do...

• Members

wear a bum glove on your hand.

That's actually not a bad idea - get a cotton glove and cut the fingers off. Probably something like a uniform glove, so it's relatively snug and not floppy like a gardening glove. Heck, the layer of cotton may even make the neck feel slicker...

• Members

I play mostly maple necks. My main guitar for the past 15 years was a MIM Strat that I had sanded down for the feel. Once I started buying more guitars this started happening.....

My doctor is aware of it. Blood test (awaiting results) taken so we'll see.

and .. I wasn't looknig for medical advice .. I have been here long enough to know what I'd get!
;)
Just wondering if anyone else suffers as I do...

Out of curiosity, what is your doctor testing for? Did you go through any "prick" tests for allergies?

*I understand if you don't want to divulge this info to the world.

Archived