VG Stratocaster - Discontinued?!!!

dimibetan

• Members

I woulda picked one up at GC yesterday if the 20% Fender discount was in effect; it and the Lenny were the only exclusions. I tried to get the reps at different stores to bite, but they all politely had to decline.

• Members

It was a GREAT concept, but way too expensive. They need to try it again with a MIM Strat that retails for $500... THEN they'd have a good seller IMHO. Something to compete with the Variax series, but says "Fender" on it, and has a reasonable price tag.

• Members

I didn't like the fact that it required like 20 AA batteries. That's a lot of wood missing and extra weight that adds no tonal improvements at all.

I still have the old VG-8EX Roland system which this was based off of and it's really impressive with my Roland Ready strat that I bought before they only made them in Mexico; great sounds and tons of stuff that you can do with it. It's got so much more than the VG strat had that it would have been a major step backwards for me.

• Members

Yeah, and the dark fires have dropped off the radar since their original media blitz and subsequent temporary withdrawal. Thing I like about the VG (I have one) is that Fender kept it true to its basic stratiness and kept all of the extra bells and whistles simple and accessible. They do work, but they are really unobtrusive. If you just want a plain old (high-end MIA) strat, it works.

• Members

Discontinued? Interesting. It was a neat concept.

I also have one. The knobs are fairly easy to access and they do provide a bunch of tonal options.

That being said, I have been considering selling it because I prefer my PRS's and playing the VG strat is too much of a change. The huge price drop won't help resale value. I wonder if it might go back up a bit once they are no longer available.

• Members

I bought one a few weeks ago for $999 and it rocks. I've never seen a $799 one yet. I have seen loaded pickguards with the VG circuit on it on the net for $699.

Anyone who can get one and is moderatly interested I'd jump now before it is too late. Like the OP said, it is an American Strat, with some add-on circuits...and I think American Strat's 'Modern C' neck is the best made.

• Members

The huge price drop won't help resale value. I wonder if it might go back up a bit once they are no longer available.

I'm guessing not. The technology inside the VG Strat is cool, but it's like fresh vegetables... they have a limited shelf life, and get replaced by something new and fresh when the time comes. Hope I'm wrong.

• Members

I didn't like the fact that it required like 20 AA batteries. That's a lot of wood missing and extra weight that adds no tonal improvements at all.

I still have the old VG-8EX Roland system which this was based off of and it's really impressive with my Roland Ready strat that I bought before they only made them in Mexico; great sounds and tons of stuff that you can do with it. It's got so much more than the VG strat had that it would have been a major step backwards for me.

As mentioned: 4 Batteries, not 20.

The VG Strats active circuit was based off of the VG-99, not the VG-8EX. I owned a VG-99 and VG-8 (and a VG-88 too). I just sold the VG-99 and a Fender RR strat and replaced it with the VG Strat and a GT-10. Almost all the features in a more traditional mode. The 13 pin cable is an evil I can live without. The VG-99 could do a few things I'll miss...don't get me wrong...it's a call piece of gear....but I like what I'm getting out of the rig I have now, plus the GT-10 plugs and plays with my Agile and Fernandes guitars.

• Members

I bought one a few weeks ago for $999 and it rocks. I've never seen a $799 one yet. I have seen loaded pickguards with the VG circuit on it on the net for $699.

I don't think any were actually marked at $799, but MF and wwbw (and probably others) have had various 20% off deals that could be applied to these for a net price of $799.

• Members

I thought it was a good idea, but they missed the boat on a few things. Why they did not put a GK pickup output was crazy. That way you could have hooked it up to synths, and you would of had an external power source.

I own several variax guitars, and I think they sound better. But the strat is a better guitar, do I think there was some room in the market for this.

• Members

I thought it was a good idea, but they missed the boat on a few things. Why they did not put a GK pickup output was crazy. That way you could have hooked it up to synths, and you would of had an external power source.

I own several variax guitars, and I think they sound better. But the strat is a better guitar, do I think there was some room in the market for this.

I think your talking about the Standard Roland Ready Stratocaster:

rolandstrat.jpg

Roland2.jpg

IMO, guitar synthesizers like Roland GR-20 is too much for guitar players. Yes, it has a lot of crazy options. But, really, do you need all of that?

24354498_1.jpg

• Members

Fender may be getting ready to roll out a new VG sometime after the economy picks up. I'm only guessing here.

The problem with the VG is that, like early PC's, it's an island of data. It needs connectivity, and you gotta figure that Fender is working on this.

I think people may be confusing the Robot Guitar with the Dark Fire. The problem with the Dark Fire was the timing--releasing it in the midst of the worst recession of our lifetimes!

It didn't help that Gibson pulled a "Microsoft" by releasing it before it was ready for prime time.

Personally, I'm sick of techie guitar and amp substitutes and accessories. They all have one major issue--they sound like total {censored} compared with my best gear.

• Members

I dunno. I think a lot of people had that thing correctly pegged as a flavor-of-the-month right from the start. Kid Klash's vegetable analogy is right on.

And ditto for the Gibson Robots, as Into Nation noted.

Modelling is the future of guitars IMO.

Its still in its infancy but just take a look at what software based samplers/synths have done to the sampling market/samplying market. It ultimately just means more tools for a musician to have available. More sounds in one guitar. Its all well and good that people dig the feel of a particular guitar, but I believe that the the mass public will see the unbelievable benefit and musical options modelling provides.

There are some issues with the current gen of modellers,

but theres no reason why future advancements wont fix some of the issues.

The Variax has much more convincing recreations, and if they can overcome some issues dealing with the 'plink' nature of piezo's they will grab the brass ring. Rolands (and by proxy Fenders VG strat) mag gk doesnt suffer from this factor, but their modelling algorithms dont sound as good or detailed.

Modelling will eventually be looked upon as just the next logical step in tonal options. I say 10 years and modelling tech will be prevalent across at least half of the guitars on the market in some shape or form.

Fender was dumb not to include a 13 pin output version, more options for powering the guitar, and most of all the ability to customize tunings.

• Members

Modelling is the future of guitars IMO.

Its still in its infancy but just take a look at what software based samplers/synths have done to the sampling market/samplying market. It ultimately just means more tools for a musician to have available. More sounds in one guitar. Its all well and good that people dig the feel of a particular guitar, but I believe that the the mass public will see the unbelievable benefit and musical options modelling provides.

There are some issues with the current gen of modellers,

but theres no reason why future advancements wont fix some of the issues.

The Variax has much more convincing recreations, and if they can overcome some issues dealing with the 'plink' nature of piezo's they will grab the brass ring. Rolands (and by proxy Fenders VG strat) mag gk doesnt suffer from this factor, but their modelling algorithms dont sound as good or detailed.

Modelling will eventually be looked upon as just the next logical step in tonal options. I say 10 years and modelling tech will be prevalent across at least half of the guitars on the market in some shape or form.

Fender was dumb not to include a 13 pin output version, more options for powering the guitar, and most of all the ability to customize tunings.

I guess its debatable like the art of photography. Some people are saying there is no more art in digital photography.

• Members

I guess its debatable like the art of photography. Some people are saying there is no more art in digital photography.

Yeah but I suppose the endpoint is the goal. The means of getting there not so much.

No one decries the loss of wax cylinder recordings these days. I dont see digital vs analog photography much differently. It was harder to get a certain shot/look/outcome with more limited gear, but I think more freedom for the artist to express is a good thing.

For me greater functionality wins. Guitar is a tool, a means to an ends, I dont believe it has a spirit, personality, or mojo. The more options the better!

Archived