VG Stratocaster - Discontinued?!!!

dimibetan

• Members

Guitarists are really arch traditionalists.

Meanwhile, in 1982 I was gigging with my guitar, a synth module, my full

pedalboard, my amp and rack.

Problem: dragging that stuff home at two in the morning in winter in

minnesota was a pain.

That VG Strat was a great idea because it consolidated a lot of gear into

a small space.

The only downside I saw was the super bright blue led on the front.

But, I really wanted the features of the VG99 and this guitar only did

some of it.

• Members

Guitarists are really arch traditionalists.

That's probably true to a degree, but I honestly look at a lot of this technology as hundred-dollar solutions to ten-cent problems. For example, I suppose it's a pain to change tunings, but do you really need the expense and complexity (not to mention the reliability issues) of a digital chip (or a robot) to do it for you? A guitar whose tone changes from a Strat's to a Tele's is pretty cool, but I'd rather have a Strat and a Tele ... or just make do with one or the other and forego the bells & whistles.

If digital technology is indispensible, one has to wonder how Clapton, BB, Hendrix, Keith, etc. managed to excel without it. I'm not a fan of tradition for the sake of tradition, but I'll take proven simplicity over complexity any day.

• Members

I agree totally with the point about simplicity over complexity, but I have a foot in both camps (and I am a software geek for a living). I own a VG strat, which is actually simple, even if it doesn't seem that way. I also own a Boss GT-10 effects processor, which seems simple but really isn't. I like being able (with the Boss) to noodle around and try different preamp voices and explore the zillion other tonal things you can do with it. But for playing live... yikes. Forget that.

I have tried tweaking the Boss dials live and it just doesn't work worth shit to be fumbling in the dark. The only rational thing to do is (offline, at my leisure) put together a set of patches (or choose the built-in patches) that "fit" the songs we play and then line them up in the user banks so I can basically just step on a pedal to get the sound I want. That works great and that is why the $600-odd Boss is actually way less expensive than a box full of $100 pedals and ten different amps. And it is a lot lighter and more portable too.

On the other hand, the VG isn't trying to be all that. Most of the time it's just a strat. But if I suddenly wanted to play accoustic for 12 bars and then go back to strat (or tele, or humbucker...) then it is a simply turn of a knob away and I like that. It is easier than grabbing another guitar, plugging it in and :blah: :blah: Is the technology indispensible? Well hell no. Like you said, the greats got by without it and arguably most of the time they were playing on junk gear. People are still trying to accurately reproduce the sound of some of that junk 50 odd years on.

To be a tiny bit traditionalist, what worries me is just how good ALL of the technology is getting, not just with electronics, but even manufacturing. Most middle of the road guitars today would have been considered "great" back in the day. Now they struggle for shelf space and modern electronics are (whether the cork sniffers agree or not) wiping out any substantive difference between amps. You want a Marshal sound? Click. Now want a clean Fender twin? Click. Vox? No problem, click. And the electronics are cheap and only ever going to get cheaper.

So I DO like that technology can make a no-talent hack like me sound good, but sooner or later that's going to drive a lot of the things we cherish out of existence (or into cork-sniffer niche prices) because they will just be uncompetitive with mass-produced electronica.

• Members

That's probably true to a degree, but I honestly look at a lot of this technology as hundred-dollar solutions to ten-cent problems. For example, I suppose it's a pain to change tunings, but do you really need the expense and complexity (not to mention the reliability issues) of a digital chip (or a robot) to do it for you?

10 cent problem? With a variax or vg99 I can bring one guitar to a gig instead of taking along 6 or 7. It has allowed me to perform songs I would not have otherwise been able to live. One click of a footpedal and im ready to go on to the next song.

• Members

I didn't like the fact that it required like 20 AA batteries. That's a lot of wood missing and extra weight that adds no tonal improvements at all.

I snagged one at the $999.99 blowout price less an additonal 20% off ($799) but then plus tax :cry:

But I figured $800 for an American Strat with extra bells n whistles was a bit of a no brainer. I went with black and maple so now I have my EC "Blackie" wannabe looking strat. ;)

and although I agree, it is weird having a 4 battery pack in it that lights up like a little power substation, but the battery carriage pops out in one second if you just want to use it as an American Standard. And I think it sounds very much like an American Standard. Yeah, it's a bit gimmicky, but I couldn't resist for the price. Fairly decent sound dsp sounds as well.

• Members

Modelling is the future of guitars IMO.

The problem is that guitars and amps have gotten so cheap, there's no need for a modeler these days. You can buy a Vox tube amp that sounds like a Vox for $200; same for Fender. Strats and Les Paul copies are cheap too, and while they don't sound as good as the real deal, they sound better than the models.

I think that the modeling needs to focus on creating completely new instruments with new sounds (then it's not exactly modeling, I suppose).

Roland did that with their hex pickups and software, but it's still a fringe product. So why not make a VG that has sounds that we've never heard before that doesn't require a special cable, pickup, hardware and software?

That's where the future of the computer chip and the guitar lies.

• Members

The problem is that guitars and amps have gotten so cheap, there's no need for a modeler these days. You can buy a Vox tube amp that sounds like a Vox for $200; same for Fender. Strats and Les Paul copies are cheap too, and while they don't sound as good as the real deal, they sound better than the models.

I think that the modeling needs to focus on creating completely new instruments with new sounds (then it's not exactly modeling, I suppose).

Roland did that with their hex pickups and software, but it's still a fringe product. So why not make a VG that has
sounds that we've never heard before
that doesn't require a special cable, pickup, hardware and software?

That's where the future of the computer chip and the guitar lies.

True about the cheap amps, but that doesnt help if you are going for a diversity of tones, ie one amp that can sound like a marshall, a vox, a fender, a jc120. With a modelling setup you CAN get extremely close to these tones, close enough for my needs anyhow. It just means using a full range amp/pa, not a traditional guitar amp. Its a trade off. Does the vg99's marshall emulation sound just like a marshall? No, but its damn close, and I certainly dont think anyone in the audience can tell. Ill take a 80% approximation of dozens of amps/guitars in one unit rather than 1 amp thats 100% of just one and limited. Im not really interested in nailing exact approximations anyhow.

I think thats something that alot of people miss about the modellers, while they are marketted as attempting to nail certain well known guitars/amps/effects, they represent units that have such a wealth of tonal options, it doesnt really matter if its exact. The bottom line is you are left with 10x the amount of options for your music, and at least for me it sparks new ideas (being able to flick a switch and doodle on a sitar, then goto a tricone resonator with another switch, then a 12 string is empowering when you are writing).

Rolands VG99 system needs a special pickup because of all its hexaphonic functionality, without that you lose the ability to have instantaneous alternate tunings, or polyphonic distortions/panners. For whats its worth you can create sounds that are really heard before (or at least stuff thats way out there).

• Members

10 cent problem? With a variax or vg99 I can bring one guitar to a gig instead of taking along 6 or 7

You're right: you're exactly the person who needs the technology, but I'd wager you're the exception rather than the rule. Few players are ever in a situation that requires so many radically distinctive tones that they'd need six or seven different guitars to cover them. I can't even imagine what those seven would be - a humbucker, a singlecoil, a 12-string, an acoustic, a resonator, and what - a bajo sexto? A lute? :)

Needless to say, not everyone values simplicity as highly as I do. Just hope your technology stays up and running!

• Members

Modelling is the future of guitars IMO.

Its still in its infancy but just take a look at what software based samplers/synths have done to the sampling market/samplying market. It ultimately just means more tools for a musician to have available. More sounds in one guitar. Its all well and good that people dig the feel of a particular guitar, but I believe that the the mass public will see the unbelievable benefit and musical options modelling provides.

There are some issues with the current gen of modellers,

but theres no reason why future advancements wont fix some of the issues.

The Variax has much more convincing recreations, and if they can overcome some issues dealing with the 'plink' nature of piezo's they will grab the brass ring. Rolands (and by proxy Fenders VG strat) mag gk doesnt suffer from this factor, but their modelling algorithms dont sound as good or detailed.

Modelling will eventually be looked upon as just the next logical step in tonal options. I say 10 years and modelling tech will be prevalent across at least half of the guitars on the market in some shape or form.

Fender was dumb not to include a 13 pin output version, more options for powering the guitar, and most of all the ability to customize tunings.

I disagree, I think when it comes to guitars and tone we all strive to recreate that classic tone found on many recordings. We talk about the prized possessions in vintage gear. WE argue the difference between tube and solid state. Even this date tube technology is alive and well. I honestly beieve part of the problem with technology is that it changes so freqeuntly. We buy a computer and before we know it it is outdated and worth nothing. Alot of Guitarists in general like to have nice gear or would have some if they could afford it. gear people look at gear and say wow he has a Les Paul or a PRS or whatever, Things like the VG are a novelty that are cool when they are in style but then become worthless as technology advances.

Many years ago I bought a cybertwin amp. It was a very nice amp. No sooner did I buy it then the cyber twin se came out. I felt exactly like that guy that bought the computer that is now outdated.

Another issues I always take into account is the more technology involved the more something can go wrong and cost to have fixed. Traditional guitars have proven themselves sturdy/solid. I good guitar may have the odd issues (ie: refret needed, neck adjustment, setup) but overall you know you do not have to screw around with possible software issues or computer glitches. A . giging guitar player IMO doesn't want to worry about that stuff. At least I don't JMHO

• Members

No, I'm not. I own 3 roland Ready Strats. I think if you are putting a hex pickup in the guitar already, why not have a synth out?

This was an oversight on Fender's part. It would have really opened up sales of the guitar to anyone who has a 13 pin midi converter as there arent too many 13 pin ready guitars on the market in the quality range of the American Strat.

You have the higher level brian moore's and Godin LGX series. Thats about it, unless you want to drop 4k for a parker midi.

• Members
This was an oversight on Fender's part. It would have really opened up sales of the guitar to anyone who has a 13 pin midi converter as there arent too many 13 pin ready guitars on the market in the quality range of the American Strat.

You have the higher level brian moore's and Godin LGX series. Thats about it, unless you want to drop 4k for a parker midi.

Those are good options. I ended up putting a gk pickup on a Peavey Generartion. I run the split piezo into a guitar and a acoustic amp. The GK pickup to the synth. I recently bought a used VG-88 which I hope to hook up. All these were cheaper than VG Strat.

Archived