For Breakfast Today: Sacred Cow

Magpel

• Moderators

I don't like U2 but think they are a very good rock band. One of the few that has managed to hang. Still... there is something that bugs when I listen and it goes directly to the guy behind the mic.

Politics be damned, I don't like his over-the-top-take-himself-so-seriously vibe when he sings. I probably would love playing cards with the guy or talking jazz or whatever. But in my opinion, his demeanor that comes off of his performance is way too self aware.

I don't dispute that they have written some of rock music's lasting classics. I think when they rock... they rock. The drums and bass are in a niche class of their own. Edge is unique and has grown as a bit more all rounder than he once was...

...and then there's that guy up front making all that very serious noise.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's probably no surprise to more than a few here that I'm not a fan of U2 (or the Police or the Cars, for that matter).

With regard to U2, I used to focus mostly on what I considered Bono's pomposity but a few times he's pleasantly surprised me with what seemed at the time like self-deprecating humor. That said, I don't like the singing or the guitar playing at all (someone take away that man's slide)... and I couldn't really tell you too much about the rhythm section because the topside alienates me so strongly. FWIW, I owned the first album for a week but gave it to my buddy's 13 year old who traded it in as part payment for a GBH record.

• Members

I actually do like some U2 stuff. Back in the day, they were somewhat of a sacred cow, but they were also severely lampooned by the press for taking themselves too seriously. I do have a case of Bono-itis. However, I don't have a problem with him pimpin' for debt relief. He clearly believes in it very strongly, and is in a position to do something about it, so I say great. I do really like the U2's guitars. Obviously, as always, it's all about taste, and YMMV. I especially like "The Unforgettable Fire".

The Police. Well, we're talkin' pompous again. But again, I like them. What can I say.

The Cars. C'mon, this is good poppy New Wave fun!!!!! :D

• Members

Bono is a charlie uniform november tango and his band are still {censored}.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/28/tax-avoidance-aid

No-one is going to persuade me otherwise. This is a sacred cows thread, you all think they're sacred, and I think they're cows.

Ah, so great to hear Military jargon...that would be..C. U. N.T. Roger ?:wave:

• Members

I actually do like some U2 stuff. Back in the day, they were somewhat of a sacred cow, but they were also severely lampooned by the press for taking themselves too seriously. I do have a case of Bono-itis. However, I don't have a problem with him pimpin' for debt relief. He clearly believes in it very strongly, and is in a position to do something about it, so I say great. I do really like the U2's guitars. Obviously, as always, it's all about taste, and YMMV. I especially like "The Unforgettable Fire".

The Police. Well, we're talkin' pompous again. But again, I like them. What can I say.

The Cars. C'mon, this is good poppy New Wave fun!!!!!
:D

poppy new wave fun? oh puleeze, Elliot Easton is the master of the brief guitar solo you'll be humming to your death bed...Rick Ocasek...most sought after producer since Phil Spector...think 'Weezer' for starters...that's not just 'fun', that's talent producing more talent, that's talent producing major Ducats...'What's in your producing wallet' lately?

The Police pompous? maybe Sting when he went solo...but the Police when they busted out???? I could say, fresh, pretty, original, talented beyond reproach, stage show extroidanaire...I'm sure they would be tickled to know that you gave them an appropriate nod.

• Members

I'm interested that no one has mentioned Tom Petty. The guy was humongous for a long time. I wouldn't mentioned him in the context of this thread, but I'm amazed someone else hasn't. Anyone that popular for that long would have to make some enemies it would seem.

• Members

I'm interested that no one has mentioned Tom Petty. The guy was humongous for a long time. I wouldn't mentioned him in the context of this thread, but I'm amazed someone else hasn't. Anyone that popular for that long would have to make some enemies it would seem.

Ever see the video clip when he was lambasting Roger Mcguinn for doing a bad vocal performance on Roger's own original song? that was just over the top egotism...Tom Petty would not be worth a {censored} without his band, Especially Mr. Campbell...their stage shows and videos are like a showcase to show off the massive arsenal of gear they have accumulated over the years...do you really have to change guitars after EVERY song? It's a bit gratutious....:bor:

• Members

Sacred Cows? howsabout just a Fat, whining, bitch, Talentless Cow...one who would never been heard of without his lyricist Bernie Taupin...yes, Sir Elton...granted Knighthood by another fat, bitchy, Queen...Elizabeth.

Beg to disagree. Love Taupin's lyrics but they often got so "out there" that they had to be carried by EJ's hooks, melodicism, piano, and distinctive, evocative voice. He may be an old, fat and satisfied sacred cow now, grazing on chee-Z musicals and exploiting the memory of neurotic, overrated celebrity sluts (Princess Diana) but IMO he has earned the right.

• Members

Beg to disagree. Love Taupin's lyrics but they often got so "out there" that they had to be carried by EJ's hooks, melodicism, piano, and distinctive, evocative voice. He may be an old, fat and satisfied sacred cow now, grazing on chee-Z musicals and exploiting the memory of neurotic, overrated celebrity sluts (Princess Diana) but IMO he has earned the right.

yeah, I guess I 'be hatin' too much...thanks for the reality check...that last tamale for din-din got me more bitchy than Sir Eltie':)

Archived