HOW TO WRITE LYRICS

guitarmike7495

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like ANYTHING else, just do it. Write lyrics and be critical. If you're serious, you'll improve. There's no easy way. By the way, corny lyrics, written in a creative, sincere way can move people. Often simple is best.

• Members

write a short story. ten; maybe twelve paragraphs. then print out the story. then take scissors and cut up the pages so that each paragraph is it's own strip. then put the strips in a hat and randomly pull from the hat. paraphrase each paragraph onto a separate piece of paper in the order from which you pulled. stop when you've pulled eight paper strips. label the first two paraphrased paragraphs verses. label the third a pre-chorus. the fourth is your chorus. the fifth and sixth are your second and third verses. the seventh is a bridge. the eight is what you'll attach to the chorus (paper strip #4) when you double it as an outro.

there. you've written a song. it's destined to be a hit.

• Members

thats the thing 2 i dunno what to write about cause i dont "love" any girls haha im a virgin (im only thirteen ok calm down) and i have never done drugs

So you're 13. Dude you've got LOTS of time to improve. Get to work. Write about stuff that happens to you or folks around you. Here's a title: I Can't Love You ( I'm ONLY 13). If you don't use it, I will.

• Members

If you want to write good lyrics, my suggestion is to write about stuff you know, or have experienced. Anyway, write about school or something. got the Beastie Boys a few hit songs, Alice Cooper as well. Write about the girls you like, or how rebellious you are, you know, teen stuff, if you're 13. Don't try to write outside of your knowledge base- i.e. I don't advise writing about the wife and kids, or how bad you hate your job, as you probably have no knowledge of these things. You could write about guitars. As far as good vs corny, well sometimes corny's good, depends on how it flows with the music. :thu:

• Members

Just write down the things that you think about, the things you find interesting. Keep a notebook and just practice writing in it, by the time you hit 20 you'll have a ton of material and you will be a much better writer.

Remember, you can become very good at anything you choose, the key is to do it and to keep at it for a long time. This is how you get very good at anything you choose. Think in Ten year time spans.

Write the songs you want to hear about, not what you think people want to hear.

When we dream, dreams are often remembered as a feeling. The dreams themselves are the stories that tell about the feeling, whatever the feeling may be. In the same way, you can take something that you are feeling, one feeling, and make up a story that communicates it. There need be a little art involved here, this is your voice, you make the rules.

Also, don't be a fool and think that you need drugs to make interesting art, the best art is made from a sober mind.

Good luck and keep at it.

• Members

Just write down the things that you think about, the things you find interesting. Keep a notebook and just practice writing in it, by the time you hit 20 you'll have a ton of material and you will be a much better writer.

Remember, you can become very good at anything you choose, the key is to
do it
and to
keep at it for a long time
. This is how you get very good at anything you choose. Think in Ten year time spans.

Write the songs you want to hear about, not what you think people want to hear.

When we dream, dreams are often remembered as a feeling. The dreams themselves are the stories that tell about the feeling, whatever the feeling may be. In the same way, you can take something that you are feeling, one feeling, and make up a story that communicates it. There need be a little art involved here, this is your voice, you make the rules.

Also, don't be a fool and think that you need drugs to make interesting art, the best art is made from a sober mind.

Good luck and keep at it.

Ok thanks man that is really great advice

• Members

There is a songwriting forum here at HC. Go over there and read. Make some posts. Those guys can be very helpful.

You have to write about what you know. Start out simple. Tell a story about someone you know. Maybe a teacher or a a friend. Maybe about something that pisses you off.

EG

• Members

Here's an exercise for you. Take a song you know well and try to write your own words to it. I don't mean just change a few words around either. Make up your own. Tell your own story but make them fit the music to a song that already exists. Do that a few times and you will start to get a feel for how songs get structured.

Practice is your friend.

A few basic guidelines. Show your story, don't tell it. Use images that convey what you want. So don't say it was it was hot. Here's an example from Paul Simon. He didn't say it was hot, he said

"It was a slow day

And the sun was beating

On the soldiers by the side of the road"

Big difference.

Don't use cliches. Don't repeat words unless you are doing so for emphasis. If a line doesn't move your story forward, lose it. After you've finished, that's when the work begins. Great songs aren't written, they are rewriten. Go back through what you have and make it better.

EG

• Members

write a short story. ten; maybe twelve paragraphs. then print out the story. then take scissors and cut up the pages so that each paragraph is it's own strip. then put the strips in a hat and randomly pull from the hat. paraphrase each paragraph onto a separate piece of paper in the order from which you pulled. stop when you've pulled eight paper strips. label the first two paraphrased paragraphs verses. label the third a pre-chorus. the fourth is your chorus. the fifth and sixth are your second and third verses. the seventh is a bridge. the eight is what you'll attach to the chorus (paper strip #4) when you double it as an outro.

there. you've written a song. it's destined to be a hit.

I like this idea..

Edit: But wont this make the story jumbled up and not make sense?

Archived