Do some guitars NEED gold hardware

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem with gold hardware is that the frets are always going to be silver, and that makes it look cheesy, in my book. That Edwards is a good example. Mixing metallic colors just looks bad.

Also, I never wear white after Labor Day.:facepalm:

• Members

I used to like gold hardware. I used to like black guitars.

Now I am not particularly fond of either, but together they are like strawberries and cream.

I also just happen to have a black & gold guitar enroute thanks to lowbrow. :thu: Stay tuned.

• Members

Yes it could.

I have never seen a guitar that wouldn't have looked better with nickel rather than gold (or chrome) hardware.

It's why I dont own a LP custom..I dont mind the double body binding and headstock inlay bling...but I dont like the gold.

That LP would be soooo much nicer with aged nickel....

:thu:

• Moderators

Yes it could.

I have never seen a guitar that wouldn't have looked better with nickel rather than gold (or chrome) hardware.

It's why I dont own a LP custom..I dont mind the double body binding and headstock inlay bling...but I dont like the gold.

That LP would be soooo much nicer with aged nickel....

This is the post I was looking for;)

Even with the aged (piss coloured) binding you think it'd still work?

• Members

This is the post I was looking for;)

Even with the aged (piss coloured) binding you think it'd still work?

Works OK on the original 50's PAF LP's.;)

It would look like a cool old black standard with some extra binding bling. I've seen a black LP custom with nickel hardware/ Pup covers and it looked GREAT!

• Members

i have a wine red lp custom that came with gold hardware. i took it off and tried chrome... liked the gold better.

my new natural maple lp also had gold. silver is an option.. but on the natural yelowish maple i liked the gold.

on most guitars i hate it though. on the blank customs with gold-ish bindings.. gold hardware works best. if the binding was white, maybe it would be better with chrome or nickel.

• Moderators

I always think nickel looks better, except for 2 instances: Mary Kaye strat and White LPs. I have a couple guits that I've actually converted from gold to nickel, and it's an expensive pain in the ass.

I have set of Faber aged hardware, a set of nickel Grovers and the pickups I'd flip and replace with nickel BGs, so I'd end up in pocket.....hmmm:rolleyes:

• Members

I would never willingly put gold hardware on any guitar.

But some guitars can pull it off.

Like, all I know is a Gretsch Country Gent with gold hardware. It wouldn't look right with nickel in my mind.

A few black LP's can pull it off, too.

• Members

I was never a fan of gold hardware on any guitar. I did end up buying one with it though. I just fell in love with the thing. I saw past the tacky gold stuff and saw it for what it was..........perfect for me. If I had the extra cash i would change it all but I don't, So oh well, I can live with it. It's grown on me though.

Picture010-1.jpg

Archived