Report fake ebay auctions

batotman

• Members

Originally posted by sparky12

My oh my, but they do learn fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-VeryNice_W0QQitemZ7414841105QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There goes the three screw test.

This {censored} is getting creepy.

Originally posted by ArKay

So it seems that you can only report people who admit in the description that item is not genuine (isn't that great???)

The item in question was this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7413001213

The buyer was informed and didn't pay. Now the same seller seems to try selling off the other guitars he bought from the Chinaman (see his history), only this time he doesn't write that it's a Gibson anymore
:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250000289293

Ebay doesn't seem to get one important fact - if they do not police this stuff better, any short-term profit they make by letting obviously shady sellers proliferate on their site will be lost a thousand times over once they've alienated the buying public.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by id-man

There goes the three screw test.

This {censored} is getting creepy.

Yup, luckily nobody bought it. People seem to be more careful when it comes to Chinese sellers. Might be his 96% positive feedback though :) Now they only need to be more careful with items located in their own country.

Ebay doesn't seem to get one important fact - if they do not police this stuff better, any short-term profit they make by letting obviously shady sellers proliferate on their site will be lost a thousand times over once they've alienated the buying public.

That's true, the black market image is getting stronger and stronger. Also they should kick out sellers who tried to rip off people by selling counterfeit. They only tell those to take the item off, I don't think that's enough. Obviously takes a lot to get those sellers removed. I think that in the real world a shop selling those items would be closed down immediately, too.

• Members

Did they change the auction to one without the 3 screw issue..

grrrr.....

And to add another complaint.

my friend at CH guitars(who are legit!) is having trouble as some of the dodgy sellers are using old pics he had on ebay of guitars NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION ANYWHERE! (cause he cant get them anymore) and USING HIS NAME! on the acution i.e.

"xxx guitar by CH Guitars"

Emailed ebay on fri to complain.

i told him to add the following to his adds to avoid confusion

1.Only in stock(in uk) guitars advertised
2.All instruments are replicas
3.Korean sources instruments only

and a few other notes.

Im currently 'lovin the buzzsaw ZW i got off him at the weekend.

I hope these dodgy chinese dont cause a crackdown on everybody whos supplying decent copies at a reasonable price

• Members

apparently MOST of the dodgy chinese auctions are run by 1 or 2 companies,the main culprit being "fashionworld" or something like that.

A lot of there adds describe necklaces,but have guitar photos.THey are notorious for selling stuff thats fake or fakes that they cant possibly have(OOP fake stuff!).

Ive been staying away from ebay since paypal messed up and left mu account withdrawn and unable to add money in.Invalid accoutn.Also ebay buyers seem mostly to be kids who expect the kind of service a shop would give and are a pain in the ass.

• Members
Originally posted by goblinsolutions

apparently MOST of the dodgy chinese auctions are run by 1 or 2 companies,the main culprit being "fashionworld" or something like that.

A lot of there adds describe necklaces,but have guitar photos.THey are notorious for selling stuff thats fake or fakes that they cant possibly have(OOP fake stuff!).

Ive been staying away from ebay since paypal messed up and left mu account withdrawn and unable to add money in.Invalid accoutn.Also ebay buyers seem mostly to be kids who expect the kind of service a shop would give and are a pain in the ass.

I don't know, the ignore list in my eBay browser is growing day by day. And that's only for German eBay where we don't have as many counterfeit guitars as you have in the UK. So if those accounts are all set up by 1 or 2 companies, that would be really weird.

They mostly sell pearls and trad. Chinese goods. I guess that most of them can't even read English that's why their babelfish item titles are so funny. They seem to have a handful of descriptions which they paste into their auctions, which is why they don't supply any specs of the guitars they are selling. So sometimes they mix stuff up.

So far I've only had good experiences with buyers and sellers, 100% positive (78 feedbacks). Maybe I've been lucky since I registered in 1999, haven't done too much trading there though :) Bought and sold stuff in Europe, got some stuff from the US, all fine so far.

• Members

I guess that most of them can't even read English that's why their babelfish item titles are so funny. They seem to have a handful of descriptions which they paste into their auctions, which is why they don't supply any specs of the guitars they are selling. So sometimes they mix stuff up.

God help us once there get over here, and they begin to circulate. But, for the moment. these titles do provide some amusement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-the-deep-red-Gibson-guitar-of-what-person-tremble_W0QQitemZ7413501915QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Originally posted by sparky12

God help us once there get over here, and they begin to circulate. But, for the moment. these titles do provide some amusement.

"Make the deep red Gibson guitar of what person tremble"

Yes, tremble at the wrath - and watch out for the probing deep red johnson too. Mwuhaaahaahaa

• Members

"
Make the deep red Gibson guitar of what person tremble
"

Yes, tremble at the wrath - and watch out for the probing deep red johnson too. Mwuhaaahaahaa

:D

Here are some from eBay UK

"New of the left hand give or get an electric shock of" (left-handed Epiphpne)
"The dance moves red guitar of the vitality"
"Absolute true Gibson of blue fantasy"
"Romantic true GIBSON of black"
"The GIBSON guitar of the blue magic quantity"
"The guitar of the black terminator"???
"Reissue TELECASTER usp Gitarren MIT fender guitar" (I think that was meant for eBay Germany)
"alluring colorful euphonic extramundane guitar"
"Admirable Les Paul Signed--guitar"

• Members

If the sale price is real, it looks like someone is making about $100 flipping fake LP guitars from China.

Buy them from China:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7405011843

Sell them from the USA as the famous "Made by Gibson China" brand LP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-les-paul-custom-new_W0QQitemZ7414704726QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is from what i believe to be from Gibson, China. it has a mahogany back, maple top. The only blemish is a black mark on the top of the head stock shown in the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=7408242449

This is a new Gibson Les Paul, with a flame maple top and a red mahogany finish with cream trim and grover tuners. it has minor blemishes on the back that looks like they could be buffed out, (the pictures could not pick them up). if not pleased return and i will refund your money.

this item may have been made at gibson(China). there is no usa stamp but there is gibson usa stickers on the pickups. it is a les paul exactly, with flame maple top mahogany back a gibson body to the T except no made in usa stamp. im not sure about the pickups but the stickers on them say gibson usa. feel free to ask me any questions.

• Members

the guy reselling these as originals is bang out of order

he knows they have nothign to do with gibson

note the "i believe its gibson china" statement,which ebay would prob let him of with.

Buying a copy when you know its a copy is fine.I have lots!

Buying what you think is an original for for an originals price is theft.

Reselling is the real problem here,everybody can spot a dodgy chinese auction.

ps i love my unbranded zw bullseye copy.Must buy straplocks as it hit the floor last nite and has some nice vintage aging now(i.e. a dent)...glad it wasnt a bloody expensive guitar.This is what copies are for,playing and not worrying about and throwing aroudn the local fleapit bar.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Yeah we aren't the ebay police but there is constant talk of guitars and whether they are fake. Report them! But don't report an innocent person. If you KNOW its fake, report it. If you THINK it may be fake, leave it be. Some are pretty obvious with fake headstocks.

Why report it? Save your fellow musician from making a stupid mistake just as you'd like them to save you from making one!

To quote a famous man: Stand Up or Shut Up!

I just reported all of your auctions as fake...

• Members
Originally posted by Giorgi

Ugh, there are so much fakes that I have to turn 2-3 pages till I find a real auction :

You can change the item location to Europe to get rid of those (unless of course you want to buy from the US :))

• Members

Originally posted by MadCow

This ones up to $500

FAKE!

Yep, the same old crap. I bet that's a re-peddled Chinese one.

b5_12.JPG

Can someone tell me where to find AUTHORIZED images (like certified, direct from GIBSON) to reference when reporting fake auctions like this? A good clear verifiable image from Gibson would carry a lot more weight than dozens of us crying 'fake' to eBay.

I went to Gibson.com and their images of models is very limited.

I was able to copy the properties of this small image but it was like the sole one I could find.

custom-pic2.jpg

• Members

Yep, the same old crap. I bet that's a re-peddled Chinese one.

b5_12.JPG

Can someone tell me where to find AUTHORIZED images (like certified, direct from GIBSON) to reference when reporting fake auctions like this? A good clear verifiable image from Gibson would carry a lot more weight than dozens of us crying 'fake' to eBay.

I went to Gibson.com and their images of models is very limited.

I was able to copy the properties of this small image but it was like the sole one I could find.

custom-pic2.jpg

Gibson does have a full-size headstock image here http://www.gibson.com/Products/ But I don't think it would help much to send that link to eBay. They would send you their standard mail in which they tell you that even though you may have the knowledge to identify this counterfeit they can't be sure. They usually only seem to care for reports of auctions in which the seller admits to selling a fake. Otherwise I couldn't explain how they can ignore reports made by 3 different people.

The only thing you can do is warn the buyer not to pay for the item if a report alone doesn't do it. Gibson has to join their Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program and report those items since they are authorized to tell a possible fake from a real one.

• Members

Gibson does have a full-size headstock image here
http://www.gibson.com/Products/

Well not really. I got excited there for a second but that is a sectioned image you cannot forward in whole, or reference by url:

family_06.jpg

What we really need is a whole section of 'certified' pictorial references of their models, clearly stating what specific model it is. I sent Gibson a request saying so (service@gibson.com) and got a reply this morning from a real person with a name, inviting me to send "us" suspicious eBay auctions for authentication. That was either cool or a blow-off, but I'm going with cool for now.

About the pictures thing he only said I could find them on the site. I just emailed him back saying no, not really, and stating again why it was necessary and the specific type of images we need. We'll see what he replies. Now I wonder what will happen if I really send an eBay auction for verification....like I need more to do.

• Members

Well not really. I got excited there for a second but that is a sectioned image you cannot forward in whole, or reference by url:

family_06.jpg

What we really need is a whole section of 'certified' pictorial references of their models, clearly stating what specific model it is. I sent Gibson a request saying so (service@gibson.com) and got a reply this morning from a real person with a name, inviting me to send "us" suspicious eBay auctions for authentication. That was either cool or a blow-off, but I'm going with cool for now.

About the pictures thing he only said I could find them on the site. I just emailed him back saying no, not really, and stating again why it was necessary and the specific type of images we need. We'll see what he replies. Now I wonder what will happen if I really send an eBay auction for verification....like I need more to do.

You can make a screenshot and upload the pic somewhere, or send them to that page. It hasn't changed during the last few weeks :) Gibson Europe is both clue- and helpless when it comes to doing something. *shrug*

I only get the "our brand protection department is on it" stuff. Last I got was this:

"Thank you for your interest in Gibson guitars.

I am not aware of the exact procedures which are being taken by our brand protection department, but I am sure that they are discussing the issue with E-bay as well.

Maybe we can put in our newsletters that there are a lot of fake Gibson guitars on E-bay. We will discuss this here. Thanks again for your concern."

Discussion will most likely take place during one of their coffee breaks :rolleyes:

Give it a try if you come along one of those fakes.

• Members

I think I'm listing the link properly, if not don't lynch me! :D

I guess its not faked necessarily, but he's definately lying. He states

"This is like the one he used to play, not one of those cheap ones you see on eBay all the time."

"so if you are a true collector,or a serious musican dont miss out on this no longer made signature guitar!!!!!!!"

He does make a point of stating its not a US guitar, but still. I'm selling one of the same models and I've had a few people flat out ask me if it were an import or US made, so obviously there's plenty of people who don't know the difference by the look/model number alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WASHBURN-DIME-SIGNATURE-SERIES-GUITAR-PANTARA-dimebag_W0QQitemZ7417374324QQcategoryZ33048QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I sent him an email inquiring about it and he just replied:

"no no,what i ment by that is the washburn is the type of guitar he played.even the cheap ones are worth alot more than those 200 dollar cheap ones that arnt washburn.and i made it real clear not made in usa so hopefully no1 misunderstands.thanks from eddie"

Archived