Report fake ebay auctions

batotman

• Members

I think this is a bit off but I'll go on anyways...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Gibson-Les-Paul-Hall-of-Fame-Goldtop-Guitar-NR_W0QQitemZ7413065431QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isn't something like this supposed to be..well more higher priced? I'm just wondering because I've been thinking about checking it out since the place is not that far off where I live. If there's something fishy about this, I won't waste my time going there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

I think this is a bit off but I'll go on anyways...

Isn't something like this supposed to be..well more higher priced? I'm just wondering because I've been thinking about checking it out since the place is not that far off where I live. If there's something fishy about this, I won't waste my time going there.

$449.44 after what, 7 or 8 hours? 6 days 15 hours left.

• Members
Originally posted by K3Fallout

If there's something fishy about this, I won't waste my time going there.

If there's anything remotely fake about that someone on here will surely point it out for ya. 'Course, if the diagnisis is positive then 622 people will become competitive bidders. Ah, the old snafu.

• Members
Originally posted by supercow3

yeah thats true but tell me you dont now it is a fake if its that cheap. Its either fake or stolen
:)

I do, other less experienced people (should there be any :D ) may not.

• Members
Originally posted by id-man

Is it safe to conclude that ANY truss rod cover with 3 screws is always certified fake?

I haven't seen a genuine Gibson yet which has 3 :)

Look at the seller's history for a laugh, he has bought a couple of counterfeit guitars from China.

Winning bid: GBP 791.00 (Approximately US $1,475.06)

Holy mother of... you know.. {censored}. He bought it for GBP 173.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=7408590767

Edit:

At least he got the rating he deserved :)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=komodrg

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

i guess pc2order.co.uk will be then
:)

What a couple of sleazebags. The China guy (pengchengzhubao) sells it as genuine to the London guy (komodrg), who knows F'n well what it is because he's bought 7 already. Still he blatantly resells it at 4 times his cost, swearing it's real "Genuine USA Gibson Les Paul". From the neg feedback, looks like pc2order-co-uk finally catches on - we can only hope BEFORE he's paid for it.

Looks like this is the first one komodrg has tried to peddle, at least under that name. Wonder where the rest wil pop up....

You know, if the descriptions are going to be that blatantly false what's to keep anyone from bidding these up to stupid prices and then telling the seller to {censored} off after they've driven away any serious bidders? EBay couldn't force them to pay for an obvious forgery, nor could they allow negative feedback for bailing out of the deal, as the whole auction was in violation of their rules.

• Members

What a couple of sleazebags. The China guy (pengchengzhubao) sells it as genuine to the London guy (komodrg), who knows F'n well what it is because he's bought 7 already. Still he blatantly resells it at 4 times his cost, swearing it's real
"Genuine USA Gibson Les Paul"
. From the neg feedback, looks like pc2order-co-uk finally catches on - we can only hope BEFORE he's paid for it.

Looks like this is the first one komodrg has tried to peddle, at least under that name. Wonder where the rest wil pop up....

You know, if the descriptions are going to be that blatantly false what's to keep anyone from bidding these up to stupid prices and then telling the seller to {censored} off after they've driven away any serious bidders? EBay couldn't force them to pay for an obvious forgery, nor could they allow negative feedback for bailing out of the deal, as the whole auction was in violation of their rules.

The Chinese guy he bought those guitars originally from is no longer a member, so I guess eBay has kicked him out.

The thing is, this auction was reported by 2 other forumites and me on the day before it ended. Nothing happend, as you can see.

So I informed the buyer before the auction ended, I don't think he paid for it. :) Asked him to report this guy as well. The buyer didn't get any feedback yet, wondering what will happen.

Just because it's NOT from China and says GENUINE in the title does seem to be enough validity for some buyers, that's the frightening part. There were 9 people bidding on that one :(

• Members

id be more pissed at a dumbasss twit in england who bought a "fake" gibson from a frankly obvious source then tried to sell it on as genuine.Esp if hes listing from a UK address ,which makes it look legit.

DOES ANYONE SERIOUSLY BELIVE the chinese advertised stuff is real????

i dont and i think the buyers are expecting copies.

Those selling them on as originals are the real problem.

I have loads of chinese and korean copies of no-name brands bought via a uk importer and with the exception of a very bad jem the rest(2x zakk wylde style lp,a brian may ,sg) etc are pretty mutch as good as an epiphone that costs twice as mutch.Why should i pay epiphone TRIPLE the price of a standard model to get a bullseye? does zakk get all the xtra money,doubt it.

Gibson etc will always make loads of money as most people are brand snobs anyhow,even when buying a "korean" epiphone they think its "real" somehow.

I have no problem with copies,none of mine have any logos on them at all or makers marks,but i agree if someone tries to sell on ebay with "gibson" on the headstock it shoudl be real,but as i said youd have to be serioulsy retarded and greedy to fall for a chinese gibson ad.

the resellers who KNOW there selling fake in the uk should be shot.

• Members

ps before i get FLAMED for daring to take profits from a poor-mulltiantional company like gibson,who im sure pay all the tax they should,dont abuse cheap forean labour or overcharge for "endorsed" guitars...

i own a "proper" bought from a local dealer gibson classic and an ibanez 350 from same dealer..

i just prefer having cheap stuff to mess with ,throw in the back of the car and take to jam nites.I dont want to have to stress about denting the expensive stuff anymore so it stays home!

if epiphone ZW bullsesys cost a sensible amount(i.e.

• Members
Originally posted by goblinsolutions

Lets not confuse preventing poor buyers getting ripped off with defending the profits of a big company

No worries of that in my eyes. It's all about the little guy being duped.

• Members
Originally posted by fretmonster

"I just gotta get a message to you". Hey Joe, whatcha doin with that gun in your hand, I mean your box is full dude.
:idea:

That's directed at me I think, regarding a side discussion we had going. Box is emptied now, send me that address.

• Members

Some eBay blah regarding the removal of counterfeit items.

"eBay is not in a position to make judgements about the authenticity or
authorised nature of listings, except in the most extreme circumstances.
This may mean that we cannot remove the item about which you contacted
us, particularly when it is not blatantly clear from the item itself
that it is in some way infringing.

Although you may be extremely knowledgeable about these types of items,
we often cannot remove items upon the representations of third parties
whose credentials we cannot verify, unless of course the alleged
infringement is obvious on its face. That is why we strongly urge you to
notify the rights holder of the suspected infringement and encourage
them to join our Verified Rights Owners (VeRO) Programme. This programme
enables them to request the ending of allegedly infringing listings.

I appreciate your vigilance in helping us to keep inappropriate listings
off eBay. If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know."

• Members

Now wait, was that in reply to a Gibson fake that you personally reported? If so, it seems kind of weak. I would think Gibson is already part of their VeRO program, and they should have at least said they'd pass it along to Gibson for confirmation. Barring that, give us the damn link to Gibson's VeRO department and we'll notify them directly using correct protocol.

"unless of course the alleged infringement is obvious on its face"

Gibson's VeRO should inform eBay that three screws in a truss rod cover is obvious enough in itself.

• Members

Now wait, was that in reply to a Gibson fake that you personally reported? If so, it seems kind of weak. I would think Gibson is already part of their VeRO program, and they should have at least said they'd pass it along to Gibson for confirmation. Barring that, give us the damn link to Gibson's VeRO department and we'll notify them directly using correct protocol.

"unless of course the alleged infringement is obvious on its face"

Gibson's VeRO should inform eBay that three screws in a truss rod cover is obvious enough in itself.

I had reported an obvious fake using the "Replica and Counterfeit Items" form. They only ask for the item number there so you cannot add a message along with your report. The guitar in question had also been reported by 2 other forumites.

I reported it again, this time with a message (potentially infringing items query) and got this reply above last night, the auction went through 3 days ago. :thu:

I don't know if Gibson is part of that program, I asked them and am awaiting their response. One should send eBay a picture of a genuine Gibson headstock so that they can print it out and hang it on their office walls, it's ridicoluos. 3 reports for nothing.

Also you cannot respond to mails from eBay, you have to go through the whole contact process again for further queries. And from Gibson you only get the standard "brand protection department is already on it" response.

So it seems that you can only report people who admit in the description that item is not genuine (isn't that great???)

The item in question was this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7413001213

The buyer was informed and didn't pay. Now the same seller seems to try selling off the other guitars he bought from the Chinaman (see his history), only this time he doesn't write that it's a Gibson anymore :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250000289293

Archived