Report fake ebay auctions

batotman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it would be good if people posted the fake links right here. Even if it's just a suspected fake, it'd be good discussion and we less-informed can get an education in learning how to spot a fake easier. Plus I can check if any auctions I'm considering are listed.

• Members
Originally posted by id-man

I think it would be good if people posted the fake links right here. Even if it's just a suspected fake, it'd be good discussion and we less-informed can get an education in learning how to spot a fake easier. Plus I can check if any auctions I'm considering are listed.

That would be hundredssssss... One night I started reporting them to eBay and stopped after the first 100 :(

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Yeah we aren't the ebay police but there is constant talk of guitars and whether they are fake. Report them! But don't report an innocent person. If you KNOW its fake, report it. If you THINK it may be fake, leave it be. Some are pretty obvious with fake headstocks.

Why report it? Save your fellow musician from making a stupid mistake just as you'd like them to save you from making one!

To quote a famous man: Stand Up or Shut Up!

This is really none of your business. If people want to buy replicas with Gibson logos it's none of your business. Gibson doesn't need your help.

If they clearly say it is a replica, then I say more power to them. Who are you, the online police?? Do whatever you want to do, I just think you are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. These people who buy them know exactly what they are getting.......so don't call them victims.

If you think it is wrong, then you MUST report the buyers to the police as well, or don't you dare do this. If it is wrong then the buyer is guilty too. If you buy a stolen guitar KNOWING it is stolen, you go to jail too. Same thing here IF and only IF it is illegal. But you still shouldn't be such a snitch. Let Gibson take care of it's own business.

• Members

Originally posted by SKYNETRP

This is really none of your business. If people want to buy replicas with Gibson logos it's none of your business. Gibson doesn't need your help.

If they clearly say it is a replica, then I say more power to them. Who are you, the online police?? Do whatever you want to do, I just think you are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. These people who buy them know exactly what they are getting.......so don't call them victims.

If you think it is wrong, then you MUST report the buyers to the police as well, or don't you dare do this. If it is wrong then the buyer is guilty too. If you buy a stolen guitar KNOWING it is stolen, you go to jail too. Same thing here IF and only IF it is illegal. But you still shouldn't be such a snitch. Let Gibson take care of it's own business.

BULL{censored}!

• Members
Originally posted by Kevman

I'd say that Ebay agrees with batoman.

I think that your defense of the highly cheesey counterfeit guitar sellers is very telling.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.
:wave:

Apart from ripping off uneducated buyers, violating laws and flooding eBay with their fakes, they usually violate 3 eBay rules:

- Selling Counterfeit
- Misleading Titles
- Excessive Postage & Packing Charges

And they're becoming more and more. You should check out eBay UK, half of the stuff there is fake by now!

• Members

If they clearly say it is a replica, then I say more power to them. ~ These people who buy them know exactly what they are getting.......so don't call them victims.

I somewhat agree with your first point if that's where it ended, but the problem is with the extension of the logic.....what about the next time it's sold and the buyer isn't informed.

But regardless, that whole argument is like a side issue and misses the main intent of the exercise - we're talking about exposing outright frauds - items claimed to be one thing when they are not. Even if that was done innocently (due to scenario above) it'd still be a misrepresentation and I for one would be damn grateful if someone pointed it out me before I plunked down my cash on an imposter.

• Members

Originally posted by PolyFmorf

I've reported a few. Those Chinese fakes really piss me off.

It's none of your business. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but don't turn into a snitch.....nobody likes a snitch......

• Members

Originally posted by id-man

I somewhat agree with your first point if that's where it ended, but the problem is with the extension of the logic.....what about the next time it's sold and the buyer isn't informed.

But regardless, that whole argument is like a side issue and misses the main intent of the exercise - we're talking about exposing outright frauds - items claimed to be one thing when they are not. Even if that was done innocently (due to scenario above) it'd still be a misrepresentation and I for one would be damn grateful if someone pointed it out me before I plunked down my cash on an imposter.

Then the next guy is the crook, not the Chinese. Besides, I am sure that you can tell the difference between a Chinese and a Gibson, no matter what stickers are on them.

• Members

It's none of your business. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but don't turn into a snitch.....nobody likes a snitch......

It's every guitarists business if the market is flooded with {censored}ty Chinese crap.

And I'm seriously wondering, as are a bunch of your fellow forumites just what kind of stake you have, that you are telling us all to mind our own business?

• Members

Sounds like you support selling counterfeit and illegal goods. Remind me to buy something from you with money I print on my inkjet. :rolleyes:

• Members

You think guitar auctions are bad? Check out some of the scam auctions for motorcycles sometime...yet there are still people out there who think they can get a brand new $11K Hayabusa for $3500 from overseas with free shipping. :rolleyes:

I shipped my CBR929RR from Oregon to Michigan a few years ago, and that cost me $600. I can only imagine the cost to ship a bike from Europe over here.

• Members

Ebay only cares about the money. But since you guys THINK you are the internet police, I am going to help the Chinese get through a few loop holes and still sell their guitars. They can always send a decal with a clean headstock and let the buyer put the decals on and hit it with a little clear coat, they just won't be able to sell the MOP inlay models. I happen to have the original negative and can print out decals myself, which I already have.....there's more than one way to do this thing.....heh heh...............

GIBSON_NEGATIVE-B.jpg

GIBSON_LES_PAUL-CL.jpg

GIBSON_NEGATIVE.jpg

GIBSON_DECAL-CL.jpg

Wow....just wow. Counterfeiter.

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

A whole group of them goes to bowl on Friday night. They are referred to as the Chinese mafia and bowl in sunglasses.
:eek:

Funny I work with a guy from China...recently took up bowling with all his chinese friends. They bowl 3 times a week. Guy spent 220 bones on a new ball.

Seems that this is their new sport.

If they make it an olympic event - like everything else - look out.

Archived