Is Tung Oil the most common oil finish?

J.L.C.

• Members

I just picked up a used Peavey Dyna Bass Unity Series from the late 80s and it's in great shape, but I'd like to bring the oiled finish back to life.

Not exactly sure which oil was used, and it's old enough that I can't find the specs anywhere. It might be koa.

Is it a good or bad idea to use lemon oil to get some of the gunk off and then give it a coat with tung oil?

• Members

Lemon Oil actually dries the wood. To clean the guitar you can use nafta (lighter fluid).

If the fingerboard is rosewood you can use Bore Oil. I use Roche Thomas or sometimes Guitar Honey. You can also order Fret Doctor from http://www.beafifer.com/ but it's more expensive than the Roche Thomas Fretboard Conditioner.

For a tung oil finish I used Tru-Oil.

• Members

And naptha doesn't?

It definitely does, especially the surface of raw wood like a RW fingerboard. Usually that's the idea though. To get oil the finger oils and gunk off the wood. But, I always follow that up with a little bit of mineral oil in that case to replenish. Finishing however is a totally different subject.

• Members
Lemon Oil actually dries the wood. To clean the guitar you can use nafta (lighter fluid).

If the fingerboard is rosewood you can use Bore Oil. I use Roche Thomas or sometimes Guitar Honey. You can also order Fret Doctor from
http://www.beafifer.com/
but it's more expensive than the Roche Thomas Fretboard Conditioner.

For a tung oil finish I used Tru-Oil.

I recommend you to use the more expensice Fret Doctor,which is a bore oil.At least read what he says--> its true

This are 2 of my guitars the front one is dark rosewood the rear one ebony.Treated every 1/2 year when I replace strings

darkrosewoodvsebonyi.jpg

darkrosewoodvsebony2.jpg

I had a lighter rosweood 2 which also stayed lighter

Roland

• Members

@Ratae Coritanorum,

Yes, naphta dries the wood as well. I should have clarified. But it's great for cleaning.

@cavpilot,

You are correct. They're different. From what I understand Tru-Oil is harder and brighter. That's what Gerard Melancon recommended it and I've had great results with it.

@Roland,

I've read their website many times, back when I was interested in that product. In the end I decided to go with Roche Tomas. It was much cheaper and the results have been great.

• Members

my favorite finish to use is a danish oil/combo of other finishes around, but then again, thats a furniture maker for you...

most oil finishes are compatible with others, its all oil-based, and some have oil-based polyurethanes in them to help build them up. tung oil is definitely the most common oil finish in the guitar world i'd have to say.

• Members

Once you clean up the finish, if you want to add a low gloss protective coating, you may want to try minnwax wipe on poly. I used it and found it easy to control - but to do it right you should really sand the finish before applying. This is actually a product Dr. M. turned me on to.

- w

• Members

Once you clean up the finish, if you want to add a low gloss protective coating, you may want to try minnwax wipe on poly. I used it and found it easy to control - but to do it right you should really sand the finish before applying. This is actually a product Dr. M. turned me on to.

- w

do 75% oil, 25% whipe on poly combo, and you get a nice finish that goes on easy and is easily controlled, yet builds up very small weather-proof layers.

• Members

=Eddie;35018861

@Roland,

I've read their website many times, back when I was interested in that product. In the end I decided to go with Roche Tomas. It was much cheaper and the results have been great.

Hi

What do you use?

Premium Fingerboard Oil?

Thanks

Roland

• Members

Yes Roland. It is $2.68 at interstatemusic.com

Other sites may offer a price match in case you prefer to get it somewhere else. Even at the regular price (around $4) it is cheap.

I've got the 2 oz. bottle and it will last me many years.

So far I used it in maybe half a dozen guitars and a couple of basses. The small bottle still looks practically full.

• Members

Maybe I am in an dry-er environment.the same 2 oz bottle on Fret doctor after 1 1/2 year-->2 guitars-->6 finishes lost 25 %.But anyway we talk about peanuts cost.

One more question.Does it colour the fretboard in any diection?
(Get darker of course,but In the past i had one which was yellow but moved to redish on the Rosewood-->I want it virtually black)

Roland

• Members

my favorite finish to use is a danish oil/combo of other finishes around, but then again, thats a furniture maker for you...

most oil finishes are compatible with others, its all oil-based, and some have oil-based polyurethanes in them to help build them up. tung oil is definitely the most common oil finish in the guitar world i'd have to say.

Just bought a can of Danish Oil today. Will try it on a bone white MIM neck underneth the neck plate area where it'll be hidden to see how it works out.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the hijack.

• Moderators

Just bought a can of Danish Oil today. Will try it on a bone white MIM neck underneth the neck plate area where it'll be hidden to see how it works out.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the hijack.

Doc, it won't do a great deal for it, there's a satin poly on there that will not allow any penetration into the wood

Archived