25.5" scale, capo at 2nd fret and D standard = 24" scale and E?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

You lose two frets and there's no change in feel, just a change in notes.

...How is there not a change in feel?

Play a 25.5" scale guitar. Then play a 24" scale guitar. Compare.

Or, better yet, play a 25.5" scale guitar in E standard. Play a couple bar chords. Tune it down a full step. Play those same bar chords (two frets higher than before, to accommodate). Compare.

• Members

If you do that the dots will be on the wrong place when you slap the capo on, and that alone would {censored} with me enough to just use 2 different guitars instead of what you're concocting...

• Members

IT will feel slinkier for two reasons. 1 you are tuning down, and 2, you will have a very low "nut action". Your nut would now be the fret just ahead of the capo. Your action will also be lowered slightly.

The thing that won't change is the fret spacing. On a real short scale guitar the frets are closer together.

• Members

you will have a very low "nut action"

Indeed, surprised it took that long for someone to point out; playing off the nut and playing off a capo feel entirely different. Scale length is comparatively insignificant.

• Members

I know that this is how it would work, a Fender-scale guitar tuned down to D standard with a capo at the 2nd fret would be like a 24" scale in standard. Are there any drawbacks?

the capo should be on the 1st fret actually, and the tuning d#. it will effectively be a 24" scale, and have a similar lighter feel because of less string tension (with the same string).

• Members

I'm a total ignoramus about this, but wouldn't the intonation be off as you went up the neck? Though the scale length is 25.5", each string is in fact slightly different in length, because of intonation adjustment. And wouldn't the relative ratios of their lengths thus change when you capo the guitar, throwing intonation off? It probably wouldn't be an issue if you're mostly playing cowboy chords, but if you're soloing on the upper frets, my guess is you might have a problem.

• Members

scale would be the same from fret 1. But if you were using fret 3 as fret 1, then the scale would technically be smaller, as long as fret 3 is now considered fret 1.

I'm a total ignoramus about this, but wouldn't the intonation be off as you went up the neck? Though the scale length is 25.5", each string is in fact slightly different in length, because of intonation adjustment. And wouldn't the relative ratios of their lengths thus change when you capo the guitar, throwing intonation off? It probably wouldn't be an issue if you're mostly playing cowboy chords, but if you're soloing on the upper frets, my guess is you might have a problem.

You're overthinking this WAY too much. If what you say is true, it would mean intonation would be off every time you fret a note.

Archived