I'm Seeing a Lot of New Names Here, and I'm Digging It

Anderton

• Members

Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot of newcomers here lately? And we're getting some really quality posts from them, too.

I'm wondering if maybe this forum got mentioned somewhere, or whether people just stumbled upon it and settled in, or...I'm always curious about this stuff. It's like the time I posted a thread called (IIRC) "72 Hours in Tokyo" and it had a couple hundred page views...the next day there were THOUSANDS. Apparently it got a link from some site in South Korea.

If you're new here, welcome! Thanks for joining the party.

• Members

I sent this out as a bulletin on myspace...I figure at least a hundred bands or so will see it in the bulletin list:

Apr 15, 2009 8:57 PM

Best Audio/Video Recording & Production Forum on the web:

I've been a member of the Sound, Studio, & Stage forum for almost ten years and the moderator is Craig Anderton, writer of seminal classic Electronic Projects for Musicians and a wealth of other resources.

The current editor of EQ Magazine, he now serves as the editor of one of finest audio recording mags around and serves up the most laid back expert forum on the web and has been doing so since long before most of us even know what the web was.

Rock on over to the best forum on the web. Why? Because we need some new faces! And if you need an answer to almost any question, you can bet you'll get an answer in this forum.

They used to call it an "expert forum", but the truth is it went way beyond that little bit of copy write. Ten bucks says you can't stump the members of this forum with a technical question.

Combine the talent with a laid back party on the patio atmosphere and you can see why it's the best forum on the web.

And that doesn't even mentioned the fact it's brimming with all kinds of great underground talent.

Stop in and get yourself a beverage, beer's in the fridge.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Maybe everybody here that's on myspace should cook up a similar bulletin, since most of us should have a good few bands as friends added. Bands equals musicians, and that equals new blood.

Get on it, people! :cop:

;)

• Members

I started in HCAF years ago, grew up (and realised the sheer stupidity that runs rampant in that forum) and got into recording.

So now I lerk in the recording forums. Anderton, just got the new EQ mag. I really hate Mastodon but it was actually a pretty sweet read!

• Members

I'm sending it out again and doing it as a blog.
;)

How many years has Craig been doing this forum?

It started on AOL in mid-January 1995. And my daughter was born in April 1995, so it was a pretty great year :thu:

For everyone's amusement, I've attached some of the original artwork from SSS. The first image is the main screen that appeared back in 1995. The second one is the site map for the first incarnation. The third one was the box that opened up when you clicked on forums, and the final one was the short-lived redesign. Yes, I did all the artwork except for the re-design, which was a collaboration...one look explains why I remain a musician/author instead of a graphic designer :) Although in my defense, this was back in the day when everything was bit-mapped.

Thanks for the props, Stranger, and xtra thanks for spreading the word!

• Members

i was made to understand there would be free punch and pie.

still waiting.....

Didn't you pick up the SSS orientation package at the main entrance? Sorry, my oversight...Samantha must have been on break. Anyway, if you make a right past the pool, you'll see the theater on your left. Follow the signs to "SSS Cafe" and tell them you didn't get the orientation package but I said it was okay to have punch and pie. Oh, and note there are two different kinds of punch - the one on the left if "leaded," if you know what I mean :wave:

• Members

Didn't you pick up the SSS orientation package at the main entrance? Sorry, my oversight...Samantha must have been on break. Anyway, if you make a right past the pool, you'll see the theater on your left. Follow the signs to "SSS Cafe" and tell them you didn't get the orientation package but I said it was okay to have punch and pie. Oh, and note there are two different kinds of punch - the one on the left if "leaded," if you know what I mean
:wave:

Oh. Good, cause i was gonna say....

I waited at the receptionist counter for, like, 5 whole minutes and no one came by. Thanks for the tip!

:thu:

in all honesty, there is some really good tips to be found around here. And people tend to treat you pretty decent even if you have a gross lack of knowledge (myself).

Thats why i hang around.

• Members

in all honesty, there is some really good tips to be found around here.

Indeed. One of the things I'm trying to get in HC 2.0 is the ability for moderators, and perhaps the community as well, to "tag" particularly useful info and have it end up in a knowledge base. It would be better than just a forum search, because the tagging could make sure that all relevant aspects of the info could be found in a knowledge base search. Some possible solutions are floating around, hopefully we'll find something that works.

As to lack of knowledge...we're all newbies at something. Besides, a well-asked basics question often causes the person answering to focus their thoughts in a way they wouldn't have otherwise, as well as maybe re-examine some assumptions. As much as I like to contribute what I know, I definitely get back more than I give.

• Members

Although in my defense, this was back in the day when everything was bit-mapped.

I kinda miss bit-mapping. I've thought about doing one for old times sake.

I use to always have a few secret links stuck in a random bit here and there.

Which reminds me of an idea I had for a cool web thing, but it was gonna be a lot of work. I should rethink it with the new tools and what I know now. Hmmm...

Stay tuned...

Archived