Michael Kelly made in Vietnam disappointing

saxcop2

• Members

I just received a Hex delux. Suppose to be Top of the line

The fret board is rosewood and is suppose to be ebony. The inlays are crooked and have filler. The floyd has green corrosion on it.

I bought it from an authorized dealer. I'll be calling the corporate office tomorrow.

On the good side it plays very well

• Members

Sounds like they may have really screwed up. The guitars coming out of Korea have had an excellent rep...

Yup but this doesn't surprise me.

There was an interview during the olympics last year with a businessman in China stating that he was going to outsource to other asian countries because costs had risen to much for him over the years.

He didn't say what business he was in tho.

• Members

Send it back. Lesson learned.

O there's always a curve here. Japanese goods from the '50's and '60's was known as junk. Korea went through that as well. China is now coming out of it. Looks like VN is the next "go to" place for junk eh? I thought there were still trade emargos with VN? I've been seeing more stuff from there recently so I wonder what changed?

EG

• Members

I don't think you can blame everything on Vietnam. Metal oxidizes anywhere - Who knows how long its been sitiing in a warehouse. Also I've seen ebony that is more deep dark brown (ie slightly darker than most rosewood I've seen) rather than black. It's ironic that ebony is synonymous with black when the jet black ebony is getting rare and dark brown is starting to get used more and it's an ebonizing stain used to get the dark black finish.

But still - send it back.

• Members

Just return it. Calling corporate headquarters isn't going to do anything. What do you honestly expect them to say.

Also, I assume this was an online order? I'd still assume you could return it, especially when it has defects.

This!

As production costs start coming more "in line" with US standards, off shore companies (& American ones, for that matter) will continue trying to put factories in countries where they can save the most labor $$. Remember we saw the same "learning curve" with Japan, China, and Korea, and today they all make pretty good quality guitars. Vietnam is just the newest player in musical instruments. I'm sure in time, they'll be just as adept in putting out quality stuff.

• Members

Just return it. Calling corporate headquarters isn't going to do anything. What do you honestly expect them to say.

Also, I assume this was an online order? I'd still assume you could return it, especially when it has defects.

+2

• Members

I saw an ESP a few weeks back. had a great flame maple top...was a 'worn' model in an LP type shape, but I couldn't get over the bamboo color and once i saw Made In Vietnam......."I should've known"

It was $399, set neck and looked like it may have been a decent guitar but didn't play it.

With the history Vietnam has I can't really see how or why they would think anyone in the American market would want one

• Members

I saw an ESP a few weeks back. had a great flame maple top...was a 'worn' model in an LP type shape, but I couldn't get over the bamboo color and once i saw Made In Vietnam......."I should've known"

It was $399, set neck and looked like it may have been a decent guitar but didn't play it.

With the history Vietnam has I can't really see how or why they would think anyone in the American market would want one

I don't see what the history with Vietnam would have to do with wanting a product made in Vietnam. If Americans refused to buy items manufactured in a country with whom the U.S. has had problems, we'd pretty much be stuck with buying only American made items.

• Members

I don't see what the history with Vietnam would have to do with wanting a product made in Vietnam. If Americans refused to buy items manufactured in a country with whom the U.S. has had problems, we'd pretty much be stuck with buying only American made items.

It's not really that at all

Vietnam's just Nasty.

Period.

• Members

If you count the Civil War, we couldn't even buy from ourselves. :)

EG

• Members

I'm wondering...did it smell of fish sauce too? :facepalm::poke:

• Members

I confirmed with the factory this morning that they make their guitars in vietnam and china now. They are easy to get ahold of.

i have struck a discount with the seller. There is no lesson to learn here as one response suggested. I bought from an authorized dealer. He made it good. No problem there.

The thing always played good.

I just thought that people might want to know where these are made now. One of my students has a Hex delux. Korean made. It is of superior quality.

these normally sell for 650-700. This one does not warrant that price. The Korean one is first rate.

Archived