SE Reflection Filter Option?

Kaux

• Members

There are several, including one by RealTraps that is noticeably larger. And I think there's one called Mic Thing or something like that by SM Pro Audio. And I think there's another one besides these two, but I can't remember what it's called.

• Members

If you're gonna use packing (moving) blankets, you can simply buy a several boom mic stands and hang them from that. I do that all the time, and it'd most likely be sturdier than what they're showing.

Packing blankets are okay for some things (they don't absorb broad frequencies the way some of these other things do, for instance), but the SE Reflexion Filter and other things like that can be used for snares, overheads, etc. and are convenient, so bear that in mind. I'm not saying they're the best for every application, but the OP might need something like that to get isolate the mic in tighter places.

I have a Mini Reflection Filter, and I really like it a lot for what I use it for - which is to help isolate the snare mic and keep the hi hat bleed into it down to more manageable levels. The smaller size of the Mini makes it appropriate for that task, but it probably wouldn't be ideal for use with a LDC while tracking vocals.

The only downside to the Mini, at least from my POV, is the flexible arm and clamp system. The arm is too flexible to keep a snare mic firmly in position, and the clamp doesn't attach to a mic stand as firmly as I'd like, so I run it alongside and velcroed to a boom arm for added support. I've recommended to sE that they also offer a mic clip style attachment so you could attach it directly to the end of a boom mic stand and forgo the use of the flexible arm, but so far, I don't think they've taken my recommendation. :idk:

Realtraps, SE Electronics and SM Pro Audio all make similar products. And as Ken said, if you're on a really tight budget, you can always use moving blankets or quilts ("duvets" for our UK friends) hung over boom mic stands.

• Members

I'm always amazed at how much they cost. People seem to like them though.

They do seem to be a third, if not 50%, more expensive than they need to be.

I really thought about using the SE Reflexion Filter or something similar for vocals. I ended up using two RealTraps MiniTraps that I already had for this. The inconvenience for me is that they are big and bulky and I have to keep carrying them to/from the garage (I record in my living room, and I can't keep them there). I'm trying to re-order my brain so I consider it "exercise" and not a "hassle". :D

I also was interested in using these small sorts of filters that we're discussing for overheads, but decided not to since that'd be $600, and also, I've started using Heil PR30s for overheads, which are not thin pencil mics and do not fit in the little hole that the sE Reflexion Filter has.

When doing drums, I use a combination of 4 RealTraps MiniTraps and packing blankets hung over boom stands, and it works really well, even in my small living room. It's allowed me to move some of the mics back and get some distance without being adversely affected by my acoustically ugly living room. :thu:

Archived