In Need of a New Amp

pbacci980

• Members

So im in need in a new amp within the next year or so when i can get funds together. I love Fenders and want a tube amp, never going back to solid state amps. I dont play live as of yet but would like to in the future. With that aside i want an amp that has a relly nice fender-ish clean tone maybe even something differnet always up for experamenting. Sam this amp i Believe it was a Egnater Rebel 20 ( where you can cut down the watts of te amp) anyone have any experience with this amp sounds like it might be a pretty cool amp, other hand it may be a piece of crap. Keep in mind i would like to keep it under a 30 watt amp at most unless i can get a really really relly good deal on something like a hot rod deville and/or deluxe. my guitar right now is a Gibson ES 135 but who knows that could chnge any day too if i feel like it im always up for change. Bck to the amps what do you guys recomond im not into metal, more into electronic/jamband/rock/jazz/blues/classical style music

But i do like the fact that the egnator has a know for switching tubes and wattage which i really like? any input would be great. thanks

• Members

You might get more responses over at the amp section of he forum.

I've never used an egnator, but I've played a lot of fender amps. If you'll ask around about a verstile low watt fender combo that handles pedals well...A lot of people will probably recommend you a Deluxe Reverb RI.

But if you're planning on playing live with a 30watt amp...I hope you'll always have a pa. 'Cause unless you're only gonna play very mellow jazz in very small clubs...You probably won't always cut through with an open back single speaker combo.

• Members

Blues Jr and peavey classic 30 are the two I'd check out first if I were you. The blues Jr is decent, but doesn't have the greatest OD sound. If you can swing it, a used Deluxe reverb reissue can be had for about 6-700 and will sound a bit nicer.

The peavey has decent cleans, I would describe them as almost fender, but not quite. It has a nice drive though which IMO makes it the better all around and more versatile amp.

• Members

I picked up a gently used Peavey Valveking 112 a few weeks ago. The only thing wrong with it was the stock speaker was junk. I replaced it with a Hellatone 60.

So far I am really surprised at how good this amp sounds. It's 50 watts, but you can adjust it to run class A and it probably drops it to about 20 watts. If you run it class AB it's plenty loud. Running the clean channel with the bright switch gives very clear, crisp cleans. The gain is not bad either.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp. I didn't really care for them, but a lot of people like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue are awesome amps. I have a Marshall Haze 40 watt combo that's really nice.

Right now my favorite amp is my Epiphone Blues Custom 30. It's 30 watts (can be run 15 watts), two 12" Eminence speakers, great tone. I got mine for around $500.

• Members

There are alot of great amps available, a number of which have been mentioned already. I would buy what suits your needs now and not be too concerned with playing live. However, with that said, some of the amps already mentioned and others you should consider can be both good practice amps and have the horsepower, and not fall apart tonally when driven hard, so they could stay with you from practice to club levels.

Buy for the clean sound. You can add distortion, with various pedals, to get any kind of dirty overdriven sound you want. There are so many distortion pedals, many using tubes, that you can almost own every great distorted tube amp that ever was...or at least very close to it. But...you can't make an amp that sucks clean, not suck. If you get a great overdriven sound as well, great.

Alot of guyz like the Egnater Rebel 20. I did too...alot..when I tried it overdriven. Cool blend feature that gives a combination of dirty sounds. But when I tried it clean I was terribly disappointed. And now that I have expressed that displeasure to the other "serious" players at the local GC, it seems I am not alone. None of them like the amp.

The best I've tried so far in my recent amp search? The Bugera's. The 1990 head through a 4x12 Marshall cab was wonderful. And the 6262 combo just sang it's heart out when used with my Dean Hardtail with Rio Grande's onboard.

I'm also hearing great things about Blackheart and Blackstar amps. Nice small combos at great prices.

There are a number of "boutique style" amps out there now for down to earth prices, that did not exist just a few years ago.

I am running a B-52 AT212 right now and have owned it for 4 years or so. Super cleans...at any volume. This amp has major balls as well, with low-end response that will shake the walls. I run it with the stock 2x12's and thru a 4x12 cab, or both. But the distorted channels, while good with humbuckers are not so good with single coils. So I run it clean and then use one of the various overdrive pedals I have to get the sound that I want.

Try before you buy and buy what you like...it's your sound you'll be listening to every time you play.

• Members

I'll chime in and say I'm kinda disappointed by my Peavey Classic 30 - I should've swung for a Deluxe Reverb RI. The cleans are pretty good. Not Fender, but getting there.

But frankly, the overdrive sucks. Maybe it just reacts better with humbuckers, or it needs a speaker upgrade. But so far, it's pretty much fizzy and terrible.

• Members

The best I've tried so far in my recent amp search? The Bugera's. The 1990 head through a 4x12 Marshall cab was wonderful. And the 6262 combo just sang it's heart out when used with my Dean Hardtail with Rio Grande's onboard.

I have the 6260 2x12, it is a monster. The cleans are very good and it takes to dirt pedals really well. It is all stock, and I use an OD pedal to bridge the gap between the clean and distortion. It's really a great amp.

I also have the 333 head and, well, it's just wonderful. Very nice, clear cleans. The crunch channel is sweet and the lead channel gives warm, fat distortion. It has a dampening device so you can keep your lows very tight or loose, depending on what sound you want. The footswitch works well.

My only problem with the 333 is that it had too much gain. I dropped a 12AT7 and 12AU7 in the pre and problem solved. Lush, creamy, and wonderful. The thing that really gets me about these amps is they have both great clean and dirty channels. Both are running a 6L6 power section.

• Members

I'll chime in and say I'm kinda disappointed by my Peavey Classic 30 - I should've swung for a Deluxe Reverb RI. The cleans are pretty good. Not Fender, but getting there.

But frankly, the overdrive sucks. Maybe it just reacts better with humbuckers, or it needs a speaker upgrade. But so far, it's pretty much fizzy and terrible.

I have yet to find a Peavey speaker that did not suck. Warehouse and Avatar have good speakers at good prices. You can usually find decent speakers here for cheap. I just got a really good Hellatone 60 for the Peavey I wrote about above here.

I would swap it out and see what happens.

• Members

Yeah, those Peavey's suck. You need to get rid of that thing!!

In fact, because I'm all about helping my fellow player out, maybe I can help you with that. Let me know and we'll work something out.

Archived