BFG Gary Moore

ArKay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, they seem to have been pretty overpriced back then. My '94 Standard could probably do with a refret, they look pretty worn. With the fret-edge binding this wouldn't be cheap if it should be done properly.
:lol:

lps_94_18.jpg

Bound necks look nice, but I can totally do without Gibson's fret-edge binding.

None of my Japanese copies are weight-relieved.

Your frets also look "squarish". :D Even more so than mine. Or is it the fact that they are worn?

Most Gibson afficionados would want the binding fret edges redone like that but if that's not your case, you may have the frets go over the binding like most guitars are... cheaper for sure. But I can understand the feeling of wanting the LP to look like the real thing that it is.

PS. That's a good looking fretboard. Is it Brazillian?

• Members

ALL BFG's have a dugout on the treble side of the neck. It's part of the neck-setting process and that area is normally carved/sanded completely away on a finished LP.

Could you give some more details on this? I don't see why there would have to be something like that when installing the neck to the body.

• Members

Your frets also look "squarish".
:D
Even more so than mine. Or is it the fact that they are worn?

Most Gibson afficionados would want the binding fret edges redone like that but if that's not your case, you may have the frets go over the binding like most guitars are... cheaper for sure. But I can understand the feeling of wanting the LP to look like the real thing that it is.

PS. That's a good looking fretboard. Is it Brazillian?

It's from 1994 so I guess that it's just heavily worn. Should I ever get new frets installed it should be done correctly, even though I don't "get" the fret-edge binding I'm picky about those details. :lol:

I don't know what species of fingerboard wood they used back then, it's from Gibson's centennial year (it has a special serial no.) so maybe they used the good stuff on them :idk:

It's a nice guitar with a couple of bruises and the binding has cracked around the cutaway.

• Members
It's from 1994 so I guess that it's just heavily worn. Should I ever get new frets installed it should be done correctly, even though I don't "get" the fret-edge binding I'm picky about those details.
:lol:

I don't know what species of fingerboard wood they used back then, it's from Gibson's centennial year (it has a special serial no.) so maybe they used the good stuff on them
:idk:

It's a nice guitar with a couple of bruises and the binding has cracked around the cutaway.

Rainer, I just checked out the pics of it on your page. Gee! what a BEAUTIFUL Les Paul! Plain top (:love:) with just a hint of a figure and a gorgeous color. The pups are uncovered. Are they stock? if so, what are they?

I am jealous of your LP.

• Members

Rainer, I just checked out the pics of it on your page. Gee! what a BEAUTIFUL Les Paul! Plain top (
:love:
) with just a hint of a figure and a gorgeous color. The pups are uncovered. Are they stock? if so, what are they?

I am jealous of your LP.

I didn't really plan on getting a Gibson, but when I saw this one it was very hard to resist, I like plaintops the best.

The pickups are 498T & 490R, the previous owner had removed the covers. I have them lying on the table, still unsure whether I should re-install them or not.

Modding the BFG isn't as easy as I thought. I need a new 3-way pickup selector switch since the one which used to be in the tone pot position is too long. When I removed it, I noticed that the hole it left is way too big for a pot. Damn Gibson :p This is really a Bad {censored}ed-up Guitar.

• Members

Yeah, like others have said ALL BFGs have that dip on the high E side of the neck-to-body set point.

I think you were unaware of that and suspect that you got a lemon. Maybe the Gary model is not meant to have that dip but every last normal and special edition BFG has that. Hell, I'm holding my friend's BFG right now (it's exactly the same as that natural pic posted on page two) and it has the dip.

• Members
No gap here.

Gibson-Gary-Moore_3.jpg

Dude, that pic shows a HUGE gap. See that line about a 3rd of an inch from the finger board? That's the same gap that's seen in the other pics of the regular BFGs. The top simply isn't leveled out with the neck. It's supposed to be part of the whole, "unfinished" look of the BFG.

Even if you get a new one it may not have the exact same gap but it will have a gap none the less.

• Members

Yeah, like others have said ALL BFGs have that dip on the high E side of the neck-to-body set point.

I think you were unaware of that and suspect that you got a lemon. Maybe the Gary model is not meant to have that dip but every last normal and special edition BFG has that. Hell, I'm holding my friend's BFG right now (it's exactly the same as that natural pic posted on page two) and it has the dip.

Yeah, it does look like they {censored}ed up. It's pretty easy to overlook on the stock picture.

LPGMLMCH1-close-halfcut-bottom-jpg.aspx

Dunno if it could be sanded out on mine, it's pretty deep and nasty contrary to what you see up there.

• Members
Yeah, it does look like they {censored}ed up. It's pretty easy to overlook on the stock picture.

Dunno if it could be sanded out on mine, it's pretty deep and nasty contrary to what you see up there.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you see how the gap normally is and you still think that yours is actually done improperly or are you saying you now see that you simply didn't see the gap in other pics but you see it now? That pic there shows the regular gap. Is yours dramatically different from that in a really negative way?

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you see how the gap normally is and you still think that yours is actually done improperly or are you saying you now see that you simply didn't see the gap in other pics but you see it now? That pic there shows the regular gap. Is yours dramatically different from that in a really negative way?

That's kind of my point, yeah. Nasty...

BFGGaryMoore.JPG

versus subtle...

Gibson-Gary-Moore_3.jpg

• Members

Have you held other BFGs? I don't know how subtle you think those gaps are but the two large pics that solderjunkie posted on page two are how large the gaps are on all of the regular and special edition BFGs (special edition does not include the Gary model so it can't be certain that your BFG should look that way).

I'd take a pic of the one I have to show you it's the same but my camera is a POS that can't take really close pictures without getting all blurry and useless.

• Members

The BFG Gary Moore also has a gap, but on some you don't see it as clearly (see some of the others I have posted).

Either way, sanding it flush will be a pain in the ass on mine since I will have to get pretty close to the fingerboard, I bought it to mod. Not my wisest choice as I have noticed. It also buzzes like crazy and needs a fret level.

Archived