BFG Gary Moore

ArKay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's good enough and "Only a Gibson is good enough"

If you want perfection, greatness, or a flawless instrument, look elsewhere.

Gibsons are merely good enough :D

Seriously, it's a shame. Have you contacted Gibson's customer service? As much as I disliked my 2 LPs which had scratches or were poorly finished, Gibson's support was great.

I ended up selling both very quickly, but maybe they can work something out with you.

Best of luck!

• Members

Rainer, I can imagine how one would feel (or how I would feel) discovering something like that and not expecting it. The pic on the official website above seems to have something like it also. Strange thing to have as "normal" on a guitar.

I don't understand Gary Moore's endorsing of guitars that don't relate to anything he's played. My unbound Gary Moore sig is not a bad guitar per se but what did he ever play that relates to it specifically other than it's a Les Paul...? The only one that might make sense is the Heritage sig (ex. Montreux).

• Members

ALL BFG's have a dugout on the treble side of the neck. It's part of the neck-setting process and that area is normally carved/sanded completely away on a finished LP.

Pic for proof (The Heroin Goldtop, bigger than I would ever normally post... for clarity):

BFGdugout002Large.jpg

BFGdugout001Large.jpg

• Members

Yep.

But if you played this P90-modded trainwreck of a guitar, you could overlook it:evil:

It has been refretted with wide/flat jumbo stainless and plek'd... so sweet.

:lol: Nobody seems to take clear pics of it, there's a small hint of it in some of them, but it's never clearly visible. Some don't even seem to have it.

A replacement could be a lot worse so I should probably keep it. I will wait for Gibson's response.

• Members

:lol:
Nobody seems to take clear pics of it, there's a small hint of it in some of them, but it's never clearly visible. Some don't even seem to have it.

A replacement could be a lot worse so I should probably keep it. I will wait for Gibson's response.

I love the macro feature on my Samsung camera... it works great for stuff like that.

The marketing-shots will never focus on that area because it's ugly. I suspect some of them are even re-touched because the grain is blurry in that spot

The important question... how does it play?

The BFG's are all so different. I've played several with totally different neck profiles and different feels/sounds. If yours is a player, keep it. The replacement might have a different profile or tone (the necks are all hand-shaped).

• Members

I didn't buy it because of Gary, I just happen to like the look of it.
:D

Nor did I. I don't even like Gary Moore that much. It so happened that a few years ago when i had a bit more cash than I do today, I visited a collegue who owned a few Gibsons. He had this one for sale and said I could borrow it for a couple of weeks (not a bad saling technique). It was non commital and I figured I could have fun with it for the borrowing time. He had put in 57 classics instead of the BB's. I was truly impressed by the sound of it (still am). He bought it at Musikproduktiv in 2001 for a lot of money (2748 euros, not kidding. The standard was 2,900 euros then. More expensive than today). Anyway, he dropped his price to 1500 euros including the original BB's still in the case. That was like half price of what he paid. I decided to buy it and I'm glad I did. I wish Gary Moore would have wanted binding on the neck at least. The articles I read say he wanted it to be "affordable" (sic) and therefore made do with the bindings completely. I find it's a questionnable move from Gibson. It's a Standard by all means (if you exclude the lack of binding) but it sure has the look of a Studio from a distance. Up close, the grade of wood, nice dark fretboard, one-piece back, pearl logo, etc, make it look more like a Gary Moore.

LPGMsig.jpg

LPflame.jpg

• Members

I love the
macro
feature on my Samsung camera... it works great for stuff like that.

The marketing-shots will never focus on that area because it's ugly. I suspect some of them are even re-touched because the grain is blurry in that spot

The important question... how does it play?

The BFG's are all so different. I've played several with totally different neck profiles and different feels/sounds. If yours is a player, keep it. The replacement might have a different profile or tone (the necks are all hand-shaped).

I also used the macro feature on my Powershot, but without a stand pics do get blurry :lol:

The setup was lousy, but I think the shop must have done something to it since there is no way that it matches the values on the QC card since the bridge was all the way up on the bass side. I hope it won't buzz after adjustment. Should it be Plek'ed?

It played and sounded pretty nice. Didn't spend much time with the stock strings on it though, I always replace them and oil the fingerboard.

• Members

Nor did I. I don't even like Gary Moore that much. It so happened that a few years ago when i had a bit more cash than I do today, I visited a collegue who owned a few Gibsons. He had this one for sale and said I could borrow it for a couple of weeks (not a bad saling technique). It was non commital and I figured I could have fun with it for the borrowing time. He had put in 57 classics instead of the BB's. I was truly impressed by the sound of it (still am). He bought it at Musikproduktiv in 2001 for a lot of money (2748 euros, not kidding. The standard was 2,900 euros then. More expensive than today). Anyway, he dropped his price to 1500 euros including the original BB's still in the case. That was like half price of what he paid. I decided to buy it and I'm glad I did. I wish Gary Moore would have wanted binding on the neck at least. The articles I read say he wanted it to be "affordable" (sic) and therefore made do with the bindings completely. I find it's a questionnable move from Gibson. It's a Standard by all means (if you exclude the lack of binding) but it sure has the look of a Studio from a distance. Up close, the grade of wood, nice dark fretboard, one-piece back, pearl logo, etc, make it look more like a Gary Moore.

LPGMsig.jpg
LPflame.jpg

It's a nice top. Was the price really in EURO? In 2001 we still had DM. Reminds me a lot of the museum model Gibson I had posted a couple of weeks ago, the seller wrote that he paid about the same.

The BFG is chambered so it's a very light guitar, I actually dig that.

• Members

I certainly like that finish color the best out of all the BFG's. Hope you get some satisfaction out this transaction, preferably a new BFG suitable to you. Its a kinda neat guitar that fits right into your collection and would love to see what your mods are.

• Members

It's a nice top. Was the price really in EURO? In 2001 we still had DM. Reminds me a lot of the museum model Gibson I had posted a couple of weeks ago, the seller wrote that he paid about the same.

The BFG is chambered so it's a very light guitar, I actually dig that.

Yes, 5375 DM or 2748,19

• Members

Looks like they were already listing in both currencies. That's a lot of money.

Strangely, the prices of Gibson LP's have dropped HUGELY in Europe since 2001. Makes no sense but it's a weird fact. On that list, you see the price of a Standard as 2,909,25

Archived