The new Star Trek movie.

• Members

Ken, it's classified knowledge that Starfleet Academy is located in the basement of the Oviatt library. Just because you graduated as Captain doesn't mean you can go around saying this kind of thing because you think nobody will believe you and it's all a joke. This is a smart group here, and next thing you know, someone
will
believe you, and someone
will
find the basement...and you'll be the one who has to take responsibility.

You always
were
a little careless about this kind of stuff back at the Academy...remember how you almost told CNN the truth about the moon landing, and how we'd captured that video from time travelers? Same old Ken...

I hope that I have not disappointed you. Perhaps because we have repelled attacks by the Cylons, Klingons, Romulans, Goonies, and Tele-Tubbies, I've let my guard down. I won't let it happen again, Admiral Anderton.

• Members

I really liked it, although I agree the villians were pretty two-dimensional as far as the depth of their characters.

As far as music goes, I was surprised and very happy when they used the original TV theme for the closing credits. :thu:

• Members

Saw it today. Meh. They have the characters down exactly and the effects are good, but the plot is not really believable to me.

+1. The CGI was very well done (to the point that it's not "obviously" CGI) and there were some funny parts here and there. But the actual course of events was a little too "out there" for a casual viewer.

Nerds will love it, of course, but I would recommend it as a rental :poke:

• Members

As far as music goes, I was surprised and very happy when they used the original TV theme for the closing credits.
:thu:

Me too. That's the only music I remember from the movie.

The movie was first and foremost about reintroducing the main characters, with plot a secondary concern. The interaction between the sourpuss McCoy, the coolly intellectual Spock, and the brash Kirk was what made the original Star Trek cast so much more memorable than the later casts.

Simon Pegg said tried to sneak in a real Scottish epithet, but it was caught by the editors in time.

• Members

Saw it tonight....Liked it alot, but I am a Trekkie...

The most surprising thing in the movie was too me, the PERFECT McCoy actor...That guy NAILED Dr. McCoy, across the board...it was funny, cause McCoy is always hovering in the OS, and in the movie it is the same, but he get all his little jibes in, and I swore that it was DeForest Kelly's son or something.

• Members

i thought nimoy was a weak performer, and i find it odd he was blurry in several cuts near the end. fine, blurry, blurry, fine etc. weird. one take maybe?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. REALLY bugged the hell out of me.

• Members

I really liked it, although I agree the villians were pretty two-dimensional as far as the depth of their characters.

Everyone knows that two -dimensionality in character depth is a classic Romulan trait!

I saw it Monday night and thought it was great, since my expectations were fairly low. It did what it was supposed to do-filled in a bunch of gaps in the back story of the franchise, was a highly entertaining thrill ride, it was great fun, and it resurrected the franchise in a way that makes it possible to return to the original characters for a new generation. I thought the CGI was pretty much flawless.

Being bothered about the plot holes or characters in a sci-fi movie is pointless to me, as if someone called a Romulan destroying planets with a giant fire drill could be somehow believable if onlyhwe were more fully developed as a character. None of it is really believable. That's what makes it fun. It wasn't supposed to be MacBeth.

• Members

Ken, it's classified knowledge that Starfleet Academy is located in the basement of the Oviatt library. Just because you graduated as Captain doesn't mean you can go around saying this kind of thing because you think nobody will believe you and it's all a joke. This is a smart group here, and next thing you know, someone
will
believe you, and someone
will
find the basement...and you'll be the one who has to take responsibility.

You always
were
a little careless about this kind of stuff back at the Academy...remember how you almost told CNN the truth about the moon landing, and how we'd captured that video from time travelers? Same old Ken...

nerd fight!

• Members

I liked it. I loved the score. Was it overly dramatic music? I don't think so. This type of movie calls for music like that.

I thought the guy who played the young Spock was really good. Also, as mentioned above, Uhura was hot, but I didn't like her eyeliner.

• Members

Being bothered about the plot holes or characters in a sci-fi movie is pointless to me, as if someone called a Romulan destroying planets with a giant fire drill could be somehow believable if onlyhwe were more fully developed as a character. None of it is really believable. That's what makes it fun. It wasn't supposed to be MacBeth.

Yeah, definitely! You want it to make some sort of sense, pass quickly and not get caught in a quagmire of geekspeak, and keep moving. The whole thing was great, great FUN, and the characters were fun and interacted well.

• Members

I myself am an unashamed Trek fan. I've liked all the series from the original all the way to Enterprise........although some took longer to warm up to than others. Having said that, I thought it was very good, the best Trek movie of all of them so far.

The actor who played McCoy did indeed nail that role, great piece of casting there. I liked how they revamped the looks of the engineering section of the ship. I really liked how massive they made it look. Considering the changes that took place after the disruption of the timeline, I'm pretty sure the next movie will involve more of the old time travel/temporal anomaly device in order to set it straight.

Archived