Stratocaster - Dodgy buy or not?

ehedwr

• Members

Spotted this one on Fleabay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160354060091&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

The guitar looks lovely but the seller has a feedback of 1 and that was four years ago. Could be genuine so I asked if it was possible to go and see the guitar in person before bidding.

The reply? "Viewing instrument would be problematic at present as I am away from home at present."

I haven't seen one with a body as nice as this before.

Your thoughts please.

• Members

It definitely looks good. I'm guessing that it is a replacement body because I can't find comparable stock bodies out there. The "tobacco" finish strats I find online look more like sunbursts and don't have the nice flaming.

I probably wouldn't go for it without seeing/playing the guitar first. It just seems a tad fishy and there are a lot of scam artists on ebay (though why someone would risk prison scamming someone out of a couple hundred pounds I don't know). Since the guy is only in Bath, you might be able to make arrangements to see him before the auction closes.

• Members

If you want to sell a strat on ebay you have to be prepared for someone wanting to come to you and take a closer look. After all I have one for sale myself at the moment and if someone wants to check it out I have to be compliant. How else can I expect to sell it if I'm not open and honest?

• Members

I would tell him that "At present, you won't be selling this guitar to me at present, until I can see it in person. At present."

some guys just might not want to mess with strange people coming to his home. he knows he can probably sell it without allowing that. it's his choice.

but he could be a flaker, who knows. as long as you're using paypal you're covered.

• Members

some guys just might not want to mess with strange people coming to his home. he knows he can probably sell it without allowing that. it's his choice.

but he could be a flaker, who knows. as long as you're using paypal you're covered.

Dude, one feedback four years ago, and the "out of town" story. Scam. There's no could be here. It's a scam.

Personally, I wouldn't want to put that much trust in Paypal to give me my money back. There are lots of Strats in the world. Why go through trying to get your money back for such an obviously fake auction.

• Members

If you want to sell a strat on ebay you have to be prepared for someone wanting to come to you and take a closer look. After all I have one for sale myself at the moment and if someone wants to check it out I have to be compliant. How else can I expect to sell it if I'm not open and honest?

From one Cymro to another, I would be careful. If you are not 100% sure don't do it.......having said that e bayers have to be up front. It's a lovely guitar though I would be tempted myself to go for it if I were in the market. Try and speak to the guy and get some assurances.

Good luck....Pob lwc i ti.

Archived