Fixing digital clipping?

kurfu

• Members

Argh... I did a live recording of my cover band last night, and it looks like someone bumped up the gain on the mixer on the lead vocal channel after I had everything set...... (gee, I wonder who would do that?) I can tell because the levels on the first song are perfect, and then BAM every peak on that track for the rest of the night clips.... dammit... it's not constant, only on certain peaks...

So...

Here's my question - is there any software that will automatically smooth these peaks (glitches?) and give me a usable track?

Thanks in advance!

:thu:

• Members

forward me a few seconds of the clipped track

and I let my mastering suite remove the clipping

then you can hear if it works or not. respectively if the track is usable afterward

I removed clipping before but can't remember because I very seldom have to do declipping

Thanks for the offer, :thu: but I've got four sets worth of material to try to fix, and it just wouldn't be practical to transfer such huge files over the Internet... :eek:

I was hoping to find something free or cheap that could help fix the problem, but from looking around it seems that most of this kind of software is high dollar stuff... :cry::cry:

• Members

someone in the audience took some video of our band on a digital pocket camera. It was clipping like crazy, with loud clicking; might have been a limiter kicking or something, not sure, but very, very noticable. I ran the audio through Bias Sound Soap 2, the low bucks version ($80 bucks maybe, not sure) and it's 'declicker' slider did the job pretty well. A couple of the videos are on our soundclick page in my sig. I ran all but Somebody to Love through Sound Soap.

I use it primarily to clean up vinyl records as I transfer them to CD, so already had it. Not sure if they have a free trial.

• Members

I think Samplitude has that option...I know Sequoia does (but that's big $$). Download the demo and see if it works.

Yes and there are other programs that do similar things. It isn't an undo. The plugs simply attempt to guess what the wave was doing beyond the clip.

There is something that you can do if it's a isolated track. Digital distortions tend to be very random and often add info that is not harmonically related. Try doing a very steep HPF right below the fundamental frequency of the instrument. It can get a bunch of the garbage out.

• Members

Reaper comes with a plug that would do that... you can download just the plug for free if you use another DAW though.
:)

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2671.html

The ReFir plug looks like it can do subtractive noise reduction based on a sample, which is handy, but not exactly what I need. (unless I missed some part of the description, that is)

What it would take is what someone else suggested - a plug that catches the digital glitches (or overs) and makes a "best guess" as to what what supposed to happen. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like it can be done on the cheap... Oh well, it's just a live demo and we can have another stab at it next time we gig.

Thanks everyone for the replies! :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Yes, and that would do the job nicely. However, I don't want to spend $350 on something that I only need once (hopefully) to fix a crappy live demo that we are going to re-do in a couple of weeks anyways. :lol::lol::lol:

• Members

The ReFir plug looks like it can do subtractive noise reduction based on a sample, which is handy, but not exactly what I need. (unless I missed some part of the description, that is)

Yeah, that's only part of what it can do. It can also isolate parts of the signal based on amplitude and/or frequency, and remove that part of the signal. In other words it can find all the overs past a certain threshold and take them out. If the over is so bad that it's causing glitching and popping, you can also add that in as a noise profile.

If it's mostly a particular instrument that was causing the overs and sounds crappy, such as the snare drum, you can even isolate the snare drum based on its frequency range/amplitude and replace it with a "clean" snare drum. You may not want to go to that length for a demo that can be re-done easily, but it can be done... just sayin'.

• Members

Yeah, that's only part of what it can do. It can also isolate parts of the signal based on amplitude and/or frequency, and remove that part of the signal. In other words it can find all the overs past a certain threshold and take them out. If the over is so bad that it's causing glitching and popping, you can also add that in as a noise profile.

Yep... the problem is that the overs didn't just hit zero and stop, they made a glitch in the wave file that would have to be replaced, or re-drawn. If I had a few months to kill, I could use the pencil tool in Soundforge to do this, but with three hours worth of tracks, it's not really practical. :cool:

• Members

Yep... the problem is that the overs didn't just hit zero and stop, they made a glitch in the wave file that would have to be replaced, or re-drawn. If I had a few months to kill, I could use the pencil tool in Soundforge to do this, but with three hours worth of tracks, it's not really practical.
:cool:

Well, try playing around with ReaFIR. It's free, and you never know, it might do what you need. :idk: If you wanted to send me a 30 second clip of it, I could mess with it for a little bit and if you like the results, I'll tell you what settings I used and you can apply them to the whole track.

• Members

If it's mostly a particular instrument that was causing the overs and sounds crappy, such as the snare drum, you can even isolate the snare drum based on its frequency range/amplitude and replace it with a "clean" snare drum. You may not want to go to that length for a demo that can be re-done easily, but it can be done... just sayin'.

It was the lead vocal track. Although he denies doing it, I think the singer may have cranked the input gain on his channel after the first song, hence the overloads. Either way, I doubt he will do it a second time. :cop:

• Members

It was the lead vocal track. Although he denies doing it, I think the singer may have cranked the input gain on his channel after the first song, hence the overloads.

Ohhh. Oooops. :cop:

Yeah, that kind of thing would be tough to fix. Although bashing the singer over the head might speed up the healing process. :lol:

• Members

Ohhh. Oooops.
:cop:

Yeah, that kind of thing would be tough to fix. Although bashing the singer over the head might speed up the healing process.
:lol:

I would, but he so hard-headed that he probably wouldn't feel a thing. :lol:

/not really.

Archived