Seriously, if you wanna be good...

Burgess

• Members

To me music is not a competition. I hope to become technically proficient, and I constantly practice and learn new things. After playing for 22 years I would rate myself a solid 6 on a scale from 1 to 10.

Two noteworthy situations:

1. I went to a place where the house band allowed people to jam with them. An amazing guitarist was playing with them and when I arrived they asked me to play. I said that I could wait until the other guy was done and they insisted. Although he was technically much better than me, he was n a$$hole and the band did not enjoy playing with him.

2. I was playing with a band and they were recording an album. I was going to be away for a few months, so I gave the band leader the phone numbers of 2 musicians who are MUCH better than me. When I returned, he asked me to go to his studio. He did not call the other guys, and said he wanted me to play on the album. It was a pleasant surprise, since he pretty much can get anyone he wants to play with him.

Maybe these people felt like me, and thought that music was not a competition but a celebration.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I suggest you never audition for a band because you will certainly be competing against every other player that's auditioning.

If you should be asked to join that band I would then hope your band never wants to play in any clubs because you will certainly be competing for spots with other bands that would also like to play that club. Some bands want to play bad enough that they will pay the club owner to play.

If that band gets pretty good and you should shop for a label deal, well you get the idea...

If you just want to play at home in your bedroom then yeah, who cares. there's no competition in that. If you want to play for audiences then don't fool yourself, there's competition like a mofo.

Mark, this analysis is fine for cover bands. Those are not the only bands "playing for audiences" though-- don't fool yourself.

I've been in originals bands for about 20 years now, and the whole "someone could smoke you at an audition" thing has much less validity there. Sometimes down to none. In those types of bands it's much more important that the player brings compatibility and a similar composition/arrangement style that works with the rest of the band. Further, though there is always competition between bands, for originals bands it's much less about which band's players can "smoke" players in other bands. The competition is not between players but between bands as units and their material. The writing and arranging in originals bands vastly overshadow the factors you present as preeminent. At least in my experience.

• Members

I have some other musicians I play with as well. One guy that I've jammed with intermittently over the last six years, who studied music in College and plays trumpet very well, says he's never seen anybody progress as quickly as I have.

Fretmonster, I'd say you probably have some natural ability...yes it does exist even though people try to deny it. Some people hear the notes better than other or the beat. My instructor will tell me "do you hear that part...its on the off beat" and I'm not really hearing it :facepalm:. That will always give someone that has it an advantage over someone that doesn't

Alan...that's too funny :D

• Members

Fretmonster, I'd say you probably have some natural ability...yes it does exist even though people try to deny it. Some people hear the notes better than other or the beat. My instructor will tell me "do you hear that part...its on the off beat" and I'm not really hearing it
:facepalm:
. That will always give someone that has it an advantage over someone that doesn't

You're right. The good news is that people can also develop their abilities. I'll never have the talent of my brother or my cousin. They can hear anything once and play it. When I started out, I could not recognize if two pitches were the same or different. I was awful. As is often the case in most things we do, hard work paid of and compensated for my lack of natural talent and abilities.

I still have a long way to go, but there are many tools these days that help us improve.

Try to find some material to listen to, preferably with explanations and suggestions. For example, for my current interests:

http://www.mixingaudio.com/ (I LOVE this book)

http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

There's also software to learn to identify intervals and chords.

I haven't read these yet:

http://www.anisman.com/steve/samd02.htm

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=8724

Don't get frustrated, and keep on learning all the time.

• Members

Don't get frustrated, and keep on learning all the time.

Exactly. If you are worried about the competition you'll get frustrated. If you concentrate on just getting better for yourself it will be less so (note I didnt say not frustrating, certain things still could be)

My ear is still terrible and though it has gotten better I doubt it ever will be good. But I won't be frustrated by that fact and just have to learn to muddle along as best I can. It will get better in time

• Members

Music Isn't a competition to me... I play guitar because I enjoy it, not to 'smoke' the next guy. As said by MetalheadUK, I have no problem being smoked by the next guy, If they are better than me, then fine. No, I don't spend ever waking hour playing guitar either, even though I am in a band. As I said, I play guitar because I enjoy it, not to 'smoke' the next guy.

• Members

I don't think that it's a competition at all. Good music is good music whether it's technically superior in someone's eyes or just good old raunchy rock and roll. But I don't think that was what you meant and I agree with you.

But for me, I'm a bedroom player and have never aspired to be more than that. I don't play for fame or for anyone's approval, I play because I enjoy it. The only motivation for me to get better is so that I can play something that I enjoy. I don't think that you were disagreeing with that scenario either though, so I am not arguing.

I love watching and hearing other players just frickin slaughter me. I don't upset if someone outplays me, I enjoy the hell out of it. If I was looking for a gig or to make some money from music I'd have a different outlook completely though.

It's just fun to play and I never have to motivate myself to pick up a guitar to play or practice; I have the opposite issue of putting it down to do something productive with my life. I don't know if I'd feel the same way if I HAD to play for some kind of goal to be met.

• Members

Exactly. If you are worried about the competition you'll get frustrated. If you concentrate on just getting better for yourself it will be less so (note I didnt say not frustrating, certain things still could be)

My ear is still terrible and though it has gotten better I doubt it ever will be good. But I won't be frustrated by that fact and just have to learn to muddle along as best I can. It will get better in time

Your ear will get better as long as you train it. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Practice playing intervals such as the root and then the fifth. Sing the notes. Then play a root, and sing the fifth without playing it. Then play it. Do the same but not play the fifth first, then the root. You'll be able to recognize the fifth in no time. Eventually you'll recognize major 3rd, minor 3rd, etc. Just keep on practicing. If I could do it, anyone can :)

• Members

If you're playing/ripping off a genre that has already been created and mastered (ie BLUES) then you need to practice practice practice. but if you're CREATING something new and expressing YOURSELF then just {censored}in play, dont worry about being better than the next guy, because nobody can immitate who YOU are better than yourself.

• Members

I suggest you never audition for a band because you will certainly be competing against every other player that's auditioning.

If you should be asked to join that band I would then hope your band never wants to play in any clubs because you will certainly be competing for spots with other bands that would also like to play that club. Some bands want to play bad enough that they will pay the club owner to play.

If that band gets pretty good and you should shop for a label deal, well you get the idea...

If you just want to play at home in your bedroom then yeah, who cares. there's no competition in that. If you want to play for audiences then don't fool yourself, there's competition like a mofo.

Personally, I'm not that concerned with competition anymore myself. My time has past and these days I just play for fun. I'm not depending on music for a living and if we gig, we gig. If we don't, then we don't.
:idk:

Music as competition = douchebaggery. :lol:

Yeah, auditioning for some whack-ass cover band that plays local-yocal smokey beer dives, that's "competition".:rolleyes: Sorry, only in the heads of guitar geeks. On second thought I'm a guitar geek and I think the idea of guitar/music as a competition is stupid.

Plenty of people get gigs who aren't hot-{censored} guitar players because they play the songs people want to hear. And most people don't give a {censored} about anybody's killer guitar chops.

Edit: I should make it clear that I don't have a problem with people playing in cover bands and playing local joints and having fun doing it. That's really about the spirit and joy of playing for people and everybody having a good time. It's just that approaching it as if it's some kind of big deal competition wankery throw down is missing the point of music and playing.

• Members

I agree one has to work hard at playing guitar, but the reason should be to create your own style of music, not "smoke" someone. The more you know about music and all the vast techniques available, the more choices you have when interpreting someone else's music or writing your own. It also gives you the option of playing a million notes or a precious few. The competition thing is not really healthy, although it certainly exists. Usually leads to a huge ego, where the cat is a pain to work with, or insecurity, where a cat never reaches his full potential.

• Members

if your doing cover band music.. even at your very best you are still a cover band.. some folks dig that.. and perhaps if you practice the craft you can smoke folks at an audition.. for a cover band.. i would any day rather hear some cat take his own path then paint by numbers note for note some great artist.. most bands who make it now and days have something original to say. practice and good musician work ethic are great,,, but you really need to find your own voice...

just mho

• Members

No matter how fast you are, there will always be someone faster, no matter how great you are there will always be someone better. the only compition sould be with yourself, be the best you can be, run your own race. how far can you go. In the end when you look in the mirror, you see the only person on earth you have to answer too. go for it for yourself.

• Members

I just bought that book. I have been looking for a good jazz resource for a while now.

My work here is done then. Check out the jazzguitar.be website -- they used to have a giant thread on this book alone.

I'm currently on lesson 7 of this book -- really liking it; it's like getting a brand new guitar.

• Members

There's only so many riffs left in these hands and I'm damned sure not wasting them on practice.

[insert Iverson practice rant] :lol:

Seriously though, for those aspiring to be professional musicians, or to master their craft, this is good advice. And, after seeing Burgess' vids of his playing, I'm inclined to agree with almost everything he says. It just comes down to what your goals are.

• Members

Life is a competition! But that's not the main point.. if you're lucky.

No, this is true and it really is the point. You compete for almost everything that's worth having.

The woman of your dreams? Well unless you set your sights very low or you're Brad Pitt, you're gonna have to take her from someone or win her away from other guys chasing her as well, right?

That great job you want? Interview process where you compete against other candidates. You may not see it as competition but the guy hiring you sure does. He/she's going to take the best candidate that applies. Competition at it's purest.

If you drive in SoCal you even compete for lanes on the 405.

Even before you are old enough to realize the meaning of competition, as a baby or toddler you compete for the attention of your parents from your siblings.

It's just human nature. Those who are in a position of choice will select those that have the traits they desire most. That's the way almost everything works including music. If you're smart and you hope to be selected you will enhance your attributes so you stand out from your, (are you ready for this?) competition.

:wave:

• Members

...It's just human nature...

Not really. While being competitive applies to many people, it does not apply to everybody. You can find example of this ranging from negotiation styles (e.g., collaborative style) to social traits across different cultures.

Regarding the hiring process, in the US there are many legal implications when not hiring the most competent person for the job. Still, in some cases it can be argued that some personality traits such as people skills or teamwork may be a requirement for a position. Sometimes the "best" candidate on paper is not chosen.

There's nothing wrong with competition but there are different perspectives as well, sometimes even within the concept of competition. For example, for some people the competition is internal and is a never ending process. Other times "competitors" help each other improve. Such is the case in martial arts training with some teachers. Everybody helps each other and learns from each other. Like a candle sharing its flame to light other candles. It still retains its flame, and in the end we have more light :)

Archived