Analog Tape Availability: It

Beck

• Members

I can recall the first Otari MX-5050 (the silver faced one, before the B series) manual that I ever saw. On one of the first pages they had a picture of an empty reel of tape. Under the picture it said "brank tape". On the last page it said "Printed in Japan". ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've got the bound manual, but it IS very cool that they put the docs online.
:cool:

Hey Phil,

If you can't find the pinch roller you need from Otari, the go-to guy is Terry Witt. He can restore any rubber roller from cassette to 2" with new rubber. He does great work and is highly regarded in the analog restoration community.

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com

~Tim
:)

• Members

Having been a tech all my life repairing equipment I truly learned to hate it all. Anyone who feels nostalgic for the good old days and how hard they had to work to get a great sound is truly and idiot. Mechanical units wear out and its a hassle getting parts no less the tape.

Sounds like your good old days are a bit older than mine. :D My

• Members

By the way, do you (or any one here please) know a any good book or DVD where to learn about analog tape and tape machines?

This is a fairly recent book. It's ok, but doesn't go as deep into tape as I would like and has a few errors. Not bad though.

Analog Recording: Using Analog Gear in Today's Home Studios
2006, David Simons
ISBN: 0 879308 64-8

http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9780879308643?id=4411659137089

Here's an online sample.

http://books.google.com/books?id=gYuMOUYwgvIC&dq=Analog+Recording:+Using+Analog+Gear+in+Today's+Home+Studios&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=BjB73A51J2&sig=XV4nWKe0eNjDsLxeNrgv2i0VZJc&hl=en&ei=nq4gSqOiIpWQMvP0ya8J&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#PPP1,M1

I recommend people try to find old recording books from when tape was king. You get a deeper understanding of the medium.

Here are a few good books from my library: Look for them on Amazon and eBay.

Practical Techniques for the Recording Engineer
1981, Sherman Keene
ISBN: 0-942080-08-4

Practical Recording Techniques For Musicians
1988, Brent Hurtig
ISBN: 0-88284-355-9

Sound Recording Handbook
1989, John M. Woram
ISBN: 0-672-22583-2

Modern Recording Techniques 3rd Edition
1989, Huber and Runstein
ISBN: 0-672-22682-0

Practical Recording Techniques
1997, Bruce Bartlett; Jenny Bartlett
ISBN: 0-240-80317-5

~Tim
:)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I once had a girlfriend that could hiss like a cat. She would bat her hand like it was a paw (long fingernails and all that), her eyes would get real big and she would hiss and bare her teeth... I mean it even freaked out other cats it was so real sounding. Of course I liked it though.

• Members

I once had a girlfriend that could hiss like a cat. She would bat her hand like it was a paw (long fingernails and all that), her eyes would get real big and she would hiss and bare her teeth... I mean it even freaked out other cats it was so real sounding. Of course I liked it though.

I think I would too. But I still don`t like cats.

I`m considering releasing my next record on vinyl. Crazy? Of course! Anyone making music today knowing they are pretty much working for nothing and doing it simply for the passion, is crazy!

• Members

I think I would too. But I still don`t like cats.

I like dogs and cats pretty equally... it depends on the animal. I like cuddly ones most, whatever animal it is.

Last cat I had was a stray that came meowing at my door. So I let her in and she just climbed up on my lap and purred as I pet her like she

• Members

... I like the smell. I like the sound it makes when it's rewinding. I like the sound it makes when it plays back.

That's all for now. Thanks.

Thanks for getting us back on track. It's funny though because those are some of the same reasons I liked Valerie... besides her being a cat, that is.

No woman's perfume can compete with the smell of Ampex/Quantegy 456, but it's the next best thing.

Archived