Guitars you DON'T regret getting rid of?

Ged LST

• Members

Many years ago I purchased a SD Curlee. I had a need for a really robust guitar for traveling, and this Curlee felt very chunky when I tested it in the guitar shop - and it was cheap. It had a very difficult set up, with extremaly high action and strings like wires, but I thought it was an easy fix with a set of 9s and a screwdriwer. Forget about it: it was impossible to set up to a musical instrument. No matter what I did, it was like playing on a piece of firewood. I returned it to the shop.

• Members

70's Aria XX (a POS if there ever was one)

60's Epiphone Coronet (rarely could stay in tune)

Carlo Robelli Classical (it was free/I forbid anyone from buying one)

Carlo Robelli Double Cut MM/SG Style guitar (used to leave it at rehearsal/total garbage)

60's Guild Starfire Bass (bought on a whim...sold it for something else)

80's Guild Aviator (very 80's MTV.....very boring)

90's Gibson LP Pro I (Very rare LP Style guitar w/Steinberger trem...a POS)

90's Gibson SG I (24 fret neck clunky guitar)

90's Gibson TV LP Special Single Cut (had neck probs)

SX '57 Strat (never used it)

BC Rich Shop guitar (uniqiue but I never played it)

90's Gibson White Explorer (cool guitar...just never played it)

80's Gibson The V (lovely flame top...heavy as a tree)

'79 Dean Natural Flametop V (neck issues)

Madiera Jumbo Acoustic (didn't play it enough)

Harmony flat top (my girlfriend put a hole in it....guitar gone/married girlfriend)

Hagstrom III (bought it cheap/sold it cheap)

Agile Valkyrie Prestige; Larrivee D O3 & Gretsch G 3166 are at a shop on consignment......Agile AL 2500 Soapbar and ST1000 are at a friend's house with sale pending.

• Members

Columbus Les Paul - hideous piece of bolt-neck nastiness.

My first guitar - EKO acoustic.

Shergold masquerador or something similar - just clunky, hard-edged and sounded lousy.

Antoria SG bass copy - flubby wubby wubby.

Aria acoustic - a great first acoustic, but sold when I needed something better so no regrets.

• Members

I was really itching to get rid of my Jem and I haven't missed it for a second. I have used those funds for a set of Duncans for my Heritage and a Roland 30x. There's still a chunk of change left over and I just read that GP article on sub $500 guitars. I'm not sure if I responded to the right question(s) since the post is a tad confusing.

• Members

I lusted after a '72 Thinline Reissue for months and months and finally scored one (natural). It was beautiful and felt good. As time went on it just never seemed to deliver. Eventually I sold it and haven't missed it in the least. When I was waffling as to what to do...my wife said, "just sell it. It's been pissing you off since you got it." I don't know why it never clicked with me.

• Members

70's Aria XX (a POS if there ever was one)

60's Epiphone Coronet (rarely could stay in tune)

Carlo Robelli Classical (it was free/I forbid anyone from buying one)

Carlo Robelli Double Cut MM/SG Style guitar (used to leave it at rehearsal/total garbage)

60's Guild Starfire Bass (bought on a whim...sold it for something else)

80's Guild Aviator (very 80's MTV.....very boring)

90's Gibson LP Pro I (Very rare LP Style guitar w/Steinberger trem...a POS)

90's Gibson SG I (24 fret neck clunky guitar)

90's Gibson TV LP Special Single Cut (had neck probs)

SX '57 Strat (never used it)

BC Rich Shop guitar (uniqiue but I never played it)

90's Gibson White Explorer (cool guitar...just never played it)

80's Gibson The V (lovely flame top...heavy as a tree)

'79 Dean Natural Flametop V (neck issues)

Madiera Jumbo Acoustic (didn't play it enough)

Harmony flat top (my girlfriend put a hole in it....guitar gone/married girlfriend)

Hagstrom III (bought it cheap/sold it cheap)

Agile Valkyrie Prestige; Larrivee D O3 & Gretsch G 3166 are at a shop on consignment......Agile AL 2500 Soapbar and ST1000 are at a friend's house with sale pending.

Hold it right there. Gibson Makes a flametop V? How Much?

• Members

I'm glad I got rid of:

Line 6 Variax 700 trem in trans red - I needed the real guitars instead. :rolleyes:

DSC01786.jpg

PRS Custom 24 - Beautiful guitar but it lacked soul even after I changed the pickups to Breeds and added coil taps. :freak:

cu.jpg

Guitar I wish I never sold:

'82 Dean Elite - fastest player I ever had and played better than any LP I've ever played. It was the 80's look that made me get rid of it. Now I kick myself every time I think about it. :cry:

DSC01793b.jpg

• Members

Fender American Standard B Bender Telecaster (Sounded good but was at the time the heaviest guitar I had ever played, heavier than any of my les pauls)

Epiphone 58 Reissue Korina V (I didn't have 5K to spend on a Gibson Korina V so I bought an Epiphone V, big mistake. The guitar sounded like garbage)

Line 6 Variax 500 (I have since replaced this guitar but I sold this one because the A string didn't work!)

I have mixed emotions about a Samick Acoustic Electric I sold. It was one of the most uncomfortable guitars I have ever played. It played like {censored} and sounded awful but it was my first acoustic that I ever owned and the first guitar I ever saved up for myself to buy. I remember saving up allowance money for several weeks for this guitar.

I didn't care how bad the guitar sounded, and I knew it was going to sound like {censored}, I just wanted an acoustic guitar. For nostalgia I wouldn't mind having the guitar but it sounded and played horrible.

I traded it in to buddy rogers music along with a Boss ME-10 multi-effects processor and $600 for a Guild D-25. The guild was my first good guitar.

I remember when I played that Guild in the store to my ears it was one of the best acoustics I'd ever heard. Now when I play it, it doesn't hold up. I have acquired a few acoustics that blow it away.

• Members

Sold my first guitar, A squier Strat to a friend back in 1989.

Jerry Horton sig. series Schecter, sounded great but was very uncomfortable for me.

ESP LTD Hammett sig. model 202. It just sucked all the way around.

Jackson hardtail Dinky. It was one of the India models and I just didn't like it.

Fender Fat Strat texas Special. I DO regret having to sell this guitar, but the guy that has it now said he'd sell it back to me for what he gave me for it.

And last but not least

A Paul Reed Smith CE24 Maple Top. Great tone, but had problems with the neck. After sending it back to PRS 3 times and having to pay the shipping on it, I ended up meeting the area rep. He said" LIVE WITH IT OR SELL IT" Yep, I saved for a good while to buy a nice PRS, I get a lemon, and they pretty much tell me tough {censored}. I finally sold it at a huge loss in money. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER PRS PRODUCT UNLESS I GET IT FREE.

• Members

I don't regret getting rid of any of them. I figure that out first.

* 76 Tele - It never did Tele properly, dunno why.

* Valeno - neck heavy, tone less, hobby shop aluminum crap. And now they're worth a pile. I do regret missing out on the potential profit if I still had it, but I couldn't have lived with it that long.

* Daion Headhunter - great axe, but made a pile of money on it.

* Several Agile LPs - figured out I don't like sitting down playing an LP body shape.

* D'Aggostino - shoulda fixed the very minor problems with this one before selling it. Somebody got a great deal.

* Univox High Flyer - incredible relief when it was gone, because I figured no else one would buy it. This was years ago, but I still did fine on the money end.

* Crappy no name steel string acoustic - No, REALLY Crappy. I stripped it, and ignored it for 10 years, the top lifted off, and I parted it out and made money. Go figure.

Archived