Listening to the White Album at the moment.

Sir Don

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is that true? Where did you pick that up?

I don't doubt you; I just find it interesting and would like to read up on it.

Muddslide,

I don't recall the specific magazine, but it was when the album originally came out, a reporter from Rolling Stone, or some other pop music magazine was there when they pull the track names out. Sorry I don't remember the magazine. This is purely from memory - going back what, 40 years ago? OMG.

- w

• Members

LOL...Cirque du Soliel probably did their own bootleg remix for their venue.
:idea:

I dunno about that. This was in Las Vegas, a big production show where they invited everyone involved in the remastering, I think they would have noticed if they re-remastered the music. And plus, they intended to sell this album so people seeing it live would want to buy it.

• Members

ON THE CONCEPT BEHIND THE WHITE ALBUM (during the time of its initial release)

JOHN 1968: "What we're trying to do is rock 'n roll, 'with less of your philosorock,' is what we're saying to ourselves. And get on with rocking because rockers is what we really are. You can give me a guitar, stand me up in front of a few people. Even in the studio, if I'm getting into it, I'm just doing my old bit... not quite doing Elvis Legs but doing my equivalent. It's just natural. Everybody says we must do this and that but our thing is just rocking. You know, the usual gig. That's what this new record is about. Definitely rocking."

PAUL 1968: "People seem to think that everything we do and sing is a political statement, but it isn't. In the end it is always only a song. One or two tracks will make some people wonder what we're doing, but what we're doing is just singing songs."

JOHN 1968: "We've gone past those days when we wouldn't have used words because they didn't make sense-- or what we thought was sense. But of course Dylan taught us alot in this respect."

PAUL 1968: "It's a return to a more rock and roll sound. We felt it was time to step back because that's what we wanted to do. You can still make good music without going forward. Some people want us to go on until we vanish up our own B sides."

JOHN 1968: "Most of this session has been written on guitar 'cuz we were in India and only had our guitars there. They have a different feel about them. I missed the piano a bit because you just write differently. My piano playing is even worse than me guitar. I hardly know what the chords are, so it's good to have a slightly limited palette, heh heh."

PAUL 1968: "On 'Sgt Pepper' we had more instrumentation than we'd ever had so it was more of a production, but we didn't really want to go overboard like that this time. And we've tried to play more like a band this time-- only using instruments when we had to, instead of just using them for the fun of it. We wrote them with guitars. And, on alot of his, John picks the guitar because he learned off Donovan when we were in India-- Donovan showed him how to fingerpick. And while he was learning fingerpicking, I was sort of playing acoustic as well, you know. We decided not to try and cover them up like we might do normally."

JOHN 1968: "We wrote about thirty new songs between us. Paul must have done about a dozen. George says he's got six, and I wrote fifteen. And look what meditation has done for Ringo-- after all this time he wrote his first song."

REMEMBERING THE WHITE ALBUM SESSIONS

RINGO 1976: "I had left the band on the White Album. We're doing this album, and I'm getting weird-- saying to me-self, 'I've gotta leave this band. It's not working,' you know. So I just said, 'Okay, I'm going on holiday,' and I went away for two weeks. (laughs) And, uhh, that's when I left the band. And then I got a telegram from John saying, 'Great drums' on the tracks we'd done. And I came back and it was great, 'cuz George had set up all these flowers all over the studio saying welcome home. So then we got it together again."

PAUL 1987: "The White Album was the tension album. We were all in the midst of the psychedelic thing, or just coming out of it. In any case, it was weird. Never before had we recorded with beds in the studio and people visiting for hours on end, business meetings and all that. There was alot of friction. It was the weirdest experience because we were about to break up-- that was tense in itself."

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/white_album_Lyrics.html

• Members

Muddslide,

I don't recall the specific magazine, but it was when the album originally came out, a reporter from Rolling Stone, or some other pop music magazine was there when they pull the track names out. Sorry I don't remember the magazine. This is purely from memory - going back what, 40 years ago? OMG.

- w

You. Me. Old. :cry:

• Members

LOL...Cirque du Soliel probably did their own bootleg remix for their venue.
:idea:

George Martin and his son did the remixes for the show Love, it was an Apple-endorsed show.

Not bothering with the remasters, Every time they remaster something its some new producer remixing a classic album to adapt it to modern listening tastes/habits. They can't recreate the vinyl mix because they didn't bother going with a 24-bit medium that offers the same dynamic range as vinyl (like Neil Young did with his DVD-A and Blu-Ray box sets last spring) and they wouldn't bother to anyway, everyone is about tight and bright and loud these days.

• Members

George Martin and his son did the remixes for the show Love, it was an Apple-endorsed show.

Not bothering with the remasters, Every time they remaster something its some new producer remixing a classic album to adapt it to modern listening tastes/habits. They can't recreate the vinyl mix because they didn't bother going with a 24-bit medium that offers the same dynamic range as vinyl (like Neil Young did with his DVD-A and Blu-Ray box sets last spring) and they wouldn't bother to anyway, everyone is about tight and bright and loud these days.

Ohhh...:eek:

:o

• Members

I'm a pretty big Beatles fan, but I'm not going to bother with these. Not to mention that I generally hate the "modern albums remaster" sound and would rather buy new music instead of keep re-buying what I have

also, the White album is my least favorite Beatles album. I always feel bad saying that, but I just don't like listening to it for some reason

• Members

They were pretty painstaking in making sure this isn't a remix but solely a remaster. They had several producers making every decision so as to be more faithful to the tape.

I ordered the mono, simply because it's not realistic for me to get decent mono copies and a suitable vinyl playback (last I checked a good copy of Magical Mystery Tour in mono first pressing for example was going for $400 and up), and I've heard that they blow the, err, less than "official" versions away. Still on the fence on the stereo mixes.

• Members

They were pretty painstaking in making sure this isn't a remix but solely a remaster. They had several producers making every decision so as to be more faithful to the tape.

I ordered the mono, simply because it's not realistic for me to get decent mono copies and a suitable vinyl playback (last I checked a good copy of Magical Mystery Tour in mono first pressing for example was going for $400 and up), and I've heard that they blow the, err, less than "official" versions away. Still on the fence on the stereo mixes.

You know, that's what they always say. And yet every informal review I've read talks about how tight and punchy the bass is now, how shimmering the highs and how crisp and clear it is, blah, blah blah...nothing that implies they were actually mastered to be true to the original masters, when the personal tastes were warmth and midrange. Actually, the interview I read said they wanted to master to make it truer to the original "intent" was, which to me is a bunch of BS. I doubt Geo. Martin could tell you want his intent was after 45 years.

Archived