Listening to the White Album at the moment.

Sir Don

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

Name at least one contemporary band who can make a double album with all this musical influences, wonderful songs/lyrics, wide range of styles, ideas etc?

I can name 2 ..... Elvis Costello and the Imposters,

and Tom Waits (along with whatever rag-tag bunch o' musicians he assembles for each work). Both are songwriting geniuses :thu:

• Members

I spent about a month once, only listening to the White Album in my car. However, I have come to the conclusion that my fave Beatles period is Rubber Soul and Revolver. White has some superb songs on it, but it also has more than a couple of stinkers for me... which may have resulted from Paul, Ono and John pulling each others' hair out (both facial and from the head region).

• Members

I'm with Willy on this one. George Martin wasted a lot of energy trying to get the lads to distill the White Album down to one killer disc. But they wanted a 2-album set, mainly to fulfill their EMI obligation that much faster.

By and large, it's not a Beatles' album. It's each of them doing their own thing. Some judicious editing would have helped a lot. I'm a Beatles freak, but my life would not be poorer if I had never heard 'Wild Honey Pie' or 'Everybody's Got Something To etc. etc."

Don't even get me started on 'Revolution 9'...

• Members

...my life would not be poorer if I had never heard..."Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey".

That's one of my favorite tunes on the album. Nothing profound, just loud Rock & Roll, particularly with that cowbell (or whatever kind of bell it is) going off like a fire alarm through the whole thing.

• Members

That album brought a couple great acoustic songs for me to add to my solo performances. Namely "I Will", "Julia" & "Dear Prudence". I agree, though being the Beatles fanatic that I am, that there are some filler songs on there that I've all but forgotten about. I'll take Abbey Road or Rubber Soul any day over the White Album

• Members

I'm with Willy on this one. George Martin wasted a lot of energy trying to get the lads to distill the White Album down to one killer disc. But they wanted a 2-album set, mainly to fulfill their EMI obligation that much faster.

By and large, it's not a Beatles' album. It's each of them doing their own thing. Some judicious editing would have helped a lot. I'm a Beatles freak, but my life would not be poorer if I had never heard 'Wild Honey Pie' or 'Everybody's Got Something To etc. etc."

"Monkey" is the best description of heroin that there is.

The higher you fly

The deeper you go

The deeper you go

The higher you fly

So come on

Come on is such a joy

Come on is such a joy

Come on is take it easy

Come on is take it easy

Take it easy, take it easy

Everybody's got something to hide

'Cept for me and my monkey

• Members

I spent about a month once, only listening to the White Album in my car. However, I have come to the conclusion that my fave Beatles period is Rubber Soul and Revolver. White has some superb songs on it, but it also has more than a couple of stinkers for me... which may have resulted from Paul, Ono and John pulling each others' hair out (both facial and from the head region).

:thu: Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Members

That's one of my favorite tunes on the album. Nothing profound, just loud Rock & Roll, particularly with that cowbell (or whatever kind of bell it is) going off like a fire alarm through the whole thing.

Another fan of '...Monkey' here - it's just so much FUN! :D

Over here in Australia a bunch of rather awesome musos got together and did a national tour playing the White Album from start-to-beginning. Was freakin' amazing!

• Members

Gotta agree with Willy Guitar and Funkwire. A LOT of 'Huh?" tracks on the White Album. Rubber Soul and Revolver were far better. Still, it's The Beatles and there's a lot of great tracks. Would have been better as a single album. Looking forward to the re-mastered catalog. If they sound as good as 'Love', we're in for a treat. If you guys can swing it, ALL you Beatles freaks MUST see Cirque's 'Love' on Vegas. The sound system is amazing. You've never heard their music like this before. I heard a Lennon rhythm guitar part on Walrus, that blew my mind. My wife and I would 'love' to see (and hear) 'Love' again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was going to start my own thread on this, but I might as well just add to this one. I have not listened to it for years, and years. When I was organizing my CD's I came across a copy (I think it is my wife's) and ripped a copy last weekend. I started listening in my car. I had forgotten what a great album it is. I do have to say it is my favorite Beatles album. In my mind different from any other album they did.

Interesting what Flogger said about "Monkey". I always thought it was about sex.

"Coming is such a joy...Your Inside is out while your outside is in..."

Could be about both.

- W

Archived