1968 Les Paul Custom (pics i took tonight)

GuitarNoobie

• Members

Volume is not going to make it sound any better or worst. If it sustains when not pluged in it'll be the same through an amp.How could you 've been around here long enough to be a hall of fame member and not pickup on some fundmental thing about guitars ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Volume is not going to make it sound any better or worst. If it sustains when not pluged in it'll be the same through an amp.How could you 've been around here long enough to be a hall of fame member and not pickup on some fundmental thing about guitars ?

i completely understand sustain and volume not be a substantial part of that... however, with that said, i want to play it at volume through amps i am familiar with. i want to see what kinda of a growl i can get out of the guitar. something i was not able to do at his house... i wanna see how it stacks up against my studios...

it sounded fine through the Ampeg i played it though. but it did seem a bit bright and brittle to me. I wanna see if it sounds that way through my amps.

in otherwords, is it the amp or the pickups. my guess is a lot of it is the pickups and if so i wasn't overly impressed...

plus i just like to play loud :rawk:

• Members

Lots of people like the T-top pickups... I'm not the hugest fan of 'em.

I think you'll find that a Custom of that era will have a much tighter and focussed sound compared to the usual LP because it is a) heavier, denser wood and, b) it has a maple/ebony neck combo.

That's very normal for these guitars, which is why they've been so popular with classic metal and rock guys.

• Members

Lots of people like the T-top pickups... I'm not the hugest fan of 'em.

I think you'll find that a Custom of that era will have a much tighter and focussed sound compared to the usual LP because it is a) heavier, denser wood and, b) it has a maple/ebony neck combo.

That's very normal for these guitars, which is why they've been so popular with classic metal and rock guys.

hmm, interesting, thanks for that info...

• Members

i need to get back in touch with my buddy and inform him about his guitar...

he already knows it's not original, thus the price is lower than it could be.. it's still a Les Paul Custom however, even if it is a Norlin era Gibson, it is still a custom...

i'm kinda torn on this guitar now... i really need to play it some more... that's basically what it comes down to... if i bring it over to my house and don't bond with it then i should probably let it go.

however it will be more collectible the older it gets, even if it's not the best of the best...

:idk: need to play it more, that's all i can say at this point...

it was setup well, that much i can say... :thu:

• Members
The neck is mahogany not maple and yes the t top pickups are mid output.

Pardon me, I didn't pay close attention to the pics. Every 70s LP Custom I've ever played had a maple neck, but I know it wasn't the only choice. I just assumed. My bad! :thu:

• Members
Well, if you don't want it but he still wants to sell it for $1000, pm me immediately and I'll buy it.
:)
Seriously. I'll even promise that I won't turn around and sell it within the next two years.
:)

Regards,

if i don't buy it, i will let you know... :thu:

i am very tempted however :love:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, no knowledge is wasted! :thu: But for me, I have a brain stuffed full of nearly uselss trivia, and except for pricing purposes I think the dating info falls there ...

I'm assuming you pulled the trigger after you gave it a full on test drive; musta felt right and for that HNGD! :D

• Members
Congrats! And to hell with anyone saying its not desireable... as long as you desire it, thats what counts!

Regards,

i agree and i did not buy to try to turn it around and make a profit. what i really would like to do is buy vintage replacement parts to make it as close to an original guitar as possible...

and sorry dude, i know you were interested if i wasn't and i did consider it for a while, but i decided to go ahead and spend the money (realizing in the long run it was an investment, even if it's not a 68, it's still an investment).

with that said, i am gonna :rawk: this beauty and not just store it away...

• Members

before heading out the door for work this morning. i took the pickups off and bridge off to take some pics in hopes of further identification....

turns out all i am reading on the intrawebz, tells me these were used for a number of years and is not help in identifying the actual production year of this guitar...

dcam4343.jpg
dcam4345.jpg

After going back and re-reading this thread, i should have pulled of the electronic's cover and snapped some shots of the pots.... as per Wyatt's post... maybe i will do that at lunch...

The guys are right, it's early '70's. It's hard to pinpoint anymore than that without the pot date codes, assuming they haven't been changed. But I'll bet you a Coke it's a '74 "20th Anniversary" model. I've never seen an early '70's Cherry Sunburst LPC that wasn't (I see a few on the web that claim to be a '73, but without a sales receipt or original owner, it would be impossible to know...and I don't trust original owners memories over the course of 35 years).

• Members

here's a little more information regarding the date codes stamped on the pots... maybe this will help me narrow down the production date a little bit closer than '71-'75....

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

Source-Date Codes

On American made vintage gear, the pots and speakers provide an excellent opportunity to date a piece of equipment by referencing their "source-date code".

The source-date code found on pots and speakers gives the manufacturer and date (roughly) when the components were made. It may have been some time before the part was installed at the factory, but it still provides a good approximation of when the gear was made. This is especially helpful on (less popular) gear that doesn`t have reliable serial#`s or other information to date them.

The source-date code will signify the earliest possible date that the instrument or amp could have been made. This isn't going to be exact, but it will give you a "ball-park" age. And remember, even the dates indicated by the pots aren't that exact. For example, if you buy a brand new CTS pot today, they are dated a month or two in advance! I don't know the reason for this, but it's worth mentioning.

The source-date codes are under the framework of the "Electronic Industries Association", which is a non-profit organization representing the manufacturers of electronic parts. The EIA source-date code is a numeric code, assigned and registered by the EIA. It can be stamped or marked on any product to identify the production source (vendor) and date of manufacturer. Source-date codes have been published by the EIA since 1924. The EIA can be contacted via mail: Electronics Industries Association, 2001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, D.C.

• Members

not sure the pots will be any help in dating this guitar either, at least without removing solder and cleaning them up, which is probably not worth the effort...

one pot has apparently been replaced as it is much more shiny...

dcam4352.jpg
dcam4347.jpg
dcam4348.jpg
dcam4349.jpg
dcam4346.jpg

i guess i am just going to consider this a '71-75 Norlin era guitar and be happy with that... ;)

:rawk:

Archived