Controlling the Clutter

gergbee

• Members

Hi,

I moved some stuff around in the man-cave and it's looking okay except a certain someone is complaining about "all those wires and boxy things" connected to the guitar and amps.

What do you do about cable clutter and pedals? I don't want to make a board since I don't have that many pedals and that would just take more space. I like having everything in easy reach because I have found that I am more apt to play and use it then- so I don't want to box it all up or anything.

I have a dim memory of someone who used some kind of low shelf to raise their amp and store pedals and cables in the shelf underneath. I think it was an Ikea shelf. I searched for it but all I could find was the "gorm" thread-which is not what I want. If I had the name of the shelf I'd order one.

Anybody have any suggestions for storage of cables/pedals under an amp?

Greg

• Members

keep the certain someone out of the man-cave

HA! I wish. Trouble is the man-cave is not cavey enough. It's a large open area in the semi-finished basement. I will admit she's getting better...and she hasn't noticed the latest purchase yet :-)

• Members

Find a small TV stand, the box type.

Ikea has one. You could fit a couple of small amps on top and your pedals under them on the shelf.

Just a thought.

The TV stand is a great idea. I wish they made it half as wide, it's just too big for the space it has to fit into.

I wish I could remember the name of the piece the other person used (or find the thread that I saw it in).

• Members

Find a small TV stand, the box type.

Ikea has one. You could fit a couple of small amps on top and your pedals under them on the shelf.

Just a thought.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20105341

I did the same thing except I got a different model from Ikea:

Current-Good.jpg

I got a pretty good amount of "out of the way" storage in the bargain.

They also have similar stands at Target and Walmart - in different sizes and styles - and probably cheaper than Ikea.

I like mine, it actually has two amps on it now. The only thing that would have been better would have been if I could just slide the pedalboard underneath it. Instead, I pop the cover on and set it vertically next to the cabinet.

• Members

I dont worry about it anymore. Mic cables, speaker cables, they have to be there to work, so.....I try to buy them long so I can run the walls with them, taking up the least amount of floor space, But around the amp, that's another story, not a whole lot can be done there. I leave all my stuff plugged in all the time. I like to keep it close, and I like to have it ready. A bookcase, tall/slender takes up very little floor space, and is really handy to store unused pedals, tuners, and whatever. :thu:

• Members

My wife took matters into her own hands with regard to the cable spaghetti. She came home with these things from Ikea (a dollar each), which I promptly mounted on the wall behind the french doors - you never see the cables with the doors opened and it keeps them straight, handy and organized. :thu:

cable1.jpg

I know you are referring primarlily to pedal cables but I just thought I'd share. I'm not a pedal whore so all i gotta concern myself with is a volume pedal and one of my OD pedals (if any), so thats not an issue for me.

Archived