DIAL UP INTERNET IN HOTEL ROOM

• CMS Author

Remember that you need a number to dial. Not all "high speed" ISPs also have a dial-up service, and if they do, you probably have to pay extra for it.

I had planned a trip where I'd be staying in a hotel where they charged an arm and a leg for their wireless Internet service, but local phone calls were free. I hunted around and found Copper.net which at the time was $3/month for dial-up service and they had several local phone numbers where I was going. I signed up, used it on the trip, and then canceled so I only paid for the month that I used it. I see that it's now $10/month, but I guess that's a pretty good deal for a service that's going out of style rapidly.

Or you could go to a coffee shop that has free WiFi.

Or you could go to a coffee shop that has free WiFi.

This is a better idea!

That way you can go, get a coffee and use one hour a day for internet work; the rest use it for whatever reason you're there.

... I don't think you would enjoy, Dan, fighting a dial-up connection, anyway.

• CMS Author

This is a better idea!

That way you can go, get a coffee and use one hour a day for internet work; the rest use it for whatever reason you're there.

It's odd about Niagra Falls, though. I figured that there was a Panera Bakery there, but the closest one is about 20 miles away. One of the WiFi Hot Spot finder web sites lists several hotels and a couple of coffee shops. Bada Bean Coffee & Cafe is probably a good bet. But then there's Canada on the other side of the creek.

• Members

I'm going to Niagara Falls tomorrow. I'm booking a Hotel. Ran across DIAL UP INTERNET. So I bring a phone wire or what?

Dan

Bring a phone wire. A lot of hotels have digital PBXs and you can't just plug the cable from the phone into the modem. The phones usually have a jack for a modem cable.

However, I can't think of a hotel I've been in over the last two years that didn't have some form of high speed and usually wireless. Even the small town hotels have it (Amherstburg, Harrow... well, maybe not). In the bigger hotels they'll usually charge you something like $10/day, but may have free WiFi in the lobby. These same hotels will charge you 75 cents or so for every outgoing call, anyways.

js

• Members

I'm picking up 4 other wide open hotels on my wireless. They are fast and at least 30 % strong or better.

There are 2 hotels across the street.

Here's a novel idea.

Leave the computer at home.

It will give you something to do, when you get back.

It gives me something to do while the wife is getting ready !!!

Dan

Archived