Who was the greatest Eagles guitarist?

evh1984

• Members

I'm guessing most of those voting for Walsh (sigh...) or Felder must not have even heard
of
- much less
heard
- either of the first two albums.

A bit of an elitist comment, don't you think pal?

We all have our opinions. I like Walsh's playing also.

Over against your "guess" I think most forumites here know their stuff. Don't discount them as know-nothings simply because thye favor someone's playing that you do not.

FWIW: The original Eagles lineup is indeed their best, at least in my opinion. I think Meisner was a better vocalist and contributing songwriter than Schmidt. I think he and Leadon - and whether you like him or not, Glenn Frey - laid the foundation for the "Eagles sound."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gotta go with Joe Walsh. I really respect Don Felder, great player, but when you hear Joe play you KNOW it's Joe. His style is instantly recognizable. I'm not sure I would recognize Felder in a context outside of the familiar Eagles stuff. That being said, Don has great chops, is super tasteful and always has great tone. Joe is Joe. An original. The two of them together rivaled Duane and Dickey.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't say it better myself.

• Members

I'm guessing most of those voting for Walsh (sigh...) or Felder must not have even heard
of
- much less
heard
- either of the first two albums. The Eagles-sans-Bernie, starting with On The Border, became the ultimate sellout-pop band. Those first two albums were priceless though.

It's kind of ironic that the Eagles are probably best known for Hotel California.

Which is one of the greatest songs ever. :poke:

• Members

Joe Walsh did not do his best work with Eagles.

Nor was the best guitar work (originality, adding substantially to the music) in the Eagles oeuvre contributed by Walsh.

JMO

Wow Jerry, I never noticed you had over 50,000 posts! Whoa! Joe's solos on Life in the Fast Lane and Hotel California( I know, we've all heard those two songs WAY too much over the years) are totally Joe. We could argue til the cows come home what Joe's best stuff is, but those two solos are timeless. Great tones, great phrasing and you KNOW immediately who it is. Joe also brought certain rhythm guitar techniques that became Eagle's trademarks. Bernie was a good country guitarist, once again a bit generic, no abundance of chops and feel, tones were good not great. Felder is a great player whose only flaw is lack of an original 'voice'. His solo on California is just as special as Joe's except he doesn't have a specific voice that's instantly recognizable. The 'IT' factor. There's a lot of great players out there with chops, feel and tones galore. Check out you tube for proof. To me , one of the criteria of a great or memorable player is an original style or voice. Of the three players in the Eagles, Joe has to be the most memorable. Which one is 'best, is a matter of taste.

• Members

The Eagles-sans-Bernie, starting with On The Border, became the ultimate sellout-pop band.

He was still with the band for "On The Border" and "One of These Nights", replaced by Joe Walsh for "Hotel California". Actually, he wasn't really replaced - Joe Walsh was a hired sideman.

I'd still say Felder was the best, and I'd love to hear some of the outtakes that never made it to the albums. Given how overworked those albums were, I'm sure there's some great work that had a clam or two in them. But Bernie Leadon was a pretty phenomenal multi-instrumentalist.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

If you guys would get the Farewell Tour DVD and listen to the guitar solos by Steuart Smith you can see and hear he easily stands a mark above the other lead guitarist for the Eagles. The little xtra riffs and twangs really bring the music up a notch. Never dreamed Eagles songs could be better but the Melborn DVD Farewell Tour in 2015 is off the charts

Steuart Smith

If you guys would get the Farewell Tour DVD and listen to the guitar solos by Steuart Smith you can see and hear he easily stands a mark above the other lead guitarist for the Eagles. The little xtra riffs and twangs really bring the music up a notch. Never dreamed Eagles songs could be better but the Melborn DVD Farewell Tour in 2015 is off the charts

Steuart Smith

I've never watched any of the live shows or attended any of the tours where he played, so I'm unfamiliar with how well he worked with the band... but of the original members from 1971-1980, I'd have to give the nod to Felder... and I'm a pretty darned big Joe Walsh fan. But I think Joe did most of his best work either solo, or with the James Gang. Bernie was also a very good player, but more general purpose - on multiple instruments, but Don could do a bit of that too. Glenn really wasn't a great lead player, but essential as a rhythm player (not to mention vocalist and songwriter), and he occasionally threw out a half-way decent solo... but he was nowhere near Felder, Leadon and Walsh in the chops department.

• Members

i saw them on the 2001 tour on the 06/19/01 .at the Manchester Evening News Arena , England.and i`ve still got the t shirt . they had someone i didn`t know on guitar,don felder wasn`t there which was a disappointment. Joe Walsh is one of my all time faves but that includes is voice and his personality, i suppose Don Felder played the biggest part in the eagles.glenn frey was steady away,excellent voice .

Archived